Bear attack!!!

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Rover

Bear attack!!!

Post by Rover »

I put two shots into the gaping, slavering mouth of a charging grizzly with my elephant gun this morning at Bill Poole's hunting rifle shoot at the Phoenix Rod and Gun Club.

Also shot some antelope at over 400 yards.

Lots of fun! If you're in the neighborhood or shooting a pistol match come and play with us.

Murderer!!!

Post by Guest »

Rover you could have scared off the bear using pepper spray.
How would you feel if a person used an elephant gun on you?
sakoarms

Post by sakoarms »

bwahahaha That is funny!
Rover

Post by Rover »

In Alaska, the way they identify the hiker-munching bears is that their scat smells of pepper and often has little bells in it.
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

that's not Roger, but the best photos of the event

I will deliberately NOT schedule the hunting rifle shoots on the same day as our ISSF/USAShooting PTO's.

PRGC - Phoenix Rod & Gun Club - http://www.phoenixrodandgun.org/

Poole
Anders Turebrand

Post by Anders Turebrand »

Looks like good fun!

However, the rifle in the pictures (it looks like a Marlin "Guide gun") doesn't (in my eyes at least) really qualify as an elephant gun...

I have one myself, but I don't push it harder than 350gr@1900fps or 430gr@1600fps
Anyway, that's plenty enough for anything in my neck of the woods...
Rover

Post by Rover »

The gun is a "Guide Gun" and the person in the picture is not "Rover".

The elephant gun referred to is a .411KDG(.458 Winchester Magnum necked down to .411). I had it built for hunting when I lived in Alaska. It uses a 400 grain bullet at 2400 fps, but I was using reduced cast bullet loads.

And...it's a hell of a lot of fun!!!

Post by Guest »

It looks hilarious, BUT - aren't you concerned about backsplatter of the bullet at that close distance? (presuming that the charging bear is made of steel. Maybe it's a rubber material?)

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:It looks hilarious, BUT - aren't you concerned about backsplatter of the bullet at that close distance? (presuming that the charging bear is made of steel. Maybe it's a rubber material?)
or, DUH!, me again - it's just cardboard, and you see the bullet holes in it, while the round itself is expended into the backstop. (notice that I go for the complicated first, then the simple :-)
Anyway, it looks like a fun moving target system. Reminds me of the air rifle running boar track we built in the junior club. Lots of string and pulleys!
Rover

Post by Rover »

Are you the Guest that "tinkles" and smells of pepper?
Anders Turebrand

Post by Anders Turebrand »

Oh, so that was the elephant gun Rover mentioned, my bad...
I guess it's a little heavier than the guide gun in order to tame the recoil?

I put a limbsaver recoil pad on my guide gun, it did make quite a difference compared to the original ventilated pad.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Actually, it's short, light, and waterproof for use in the dense Alaskan rain forest.

It kicks the snot out of me, but after one experience with a small bear I built it to have something with a little more thump. The next two bears I shot were not a problem (one shot disable/kill).

Now I just play with it using light loads. No big bears in Arizona.

I'm going to try it again for Bill Poole's Big Bore Shoot.
2650 Plus

For Rover the Joker

Post by 2650 Plus »

I like the way you manage to inject humer into this forum. Let me sugest that you stick to the humor when disagreing with some one elses post. You are sometimes too clever for me and I often misunderstand the point you are making. I suppose the same may be said of me but it is untentional I assure every one. Good bear shooting Rover. Bill Horton