SB Prone -- "Optics" -- what set-up do you use?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Leo

SB Prone -- "Optics" -- what set-up do you use?

Post by Leo »

I'm going to purchase a second Leupold 6.5x20EFR (I have one for my silhouette in "large target dot") -- what do most folks use for SB -- fine duplex/fine target dot/or similar to my "larger" target custom dot?

Also -- what mounts are available for quick release to a 1907"L"?

Thanks for the input. :)
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

I use an Anschutz 6811 mount for my scopes. Comes on and off the top rail very easily. Also very pricey at about $70 a pop.

I use a fine crosshair.
Bruce W. MacDonald

.22 scope

Post by Bruce W. MacDonald »

I currently use a no longet produced Leupold 24x. It came with the fine crosshair and 1/8 min dot. I sent it off to Premier reticle to have a 1/4 min dot installed as I'd read an article by a shooter (don't remember his name) saying that you should use a 3/8 min dot for smallbore work. Second guessed his sage advice, thinking that a 1/4 min. dot would be one bullet hole approx. and that would allow holdovers of a bullet hole or part of bullet hole. Well the problem that happens is if you shoot later or earlier in the day or the light conditions are dark you lose the dot in the black. This is the problem you'll have with a fine crosshair or the small dot. I find that 24x is about the limit of what I like to hold through. I have read of some of the US hardholders using 36x. Too much x for my hold. I would check out Premier Reticle and either get the scope from them or send your scope to get the 3/8 dot installed. Weaver was making a nice 24x with 1/8 min adj. Don't know if they make it any more either. 1/4 min adjustments can be a little coarse, especially indoors.
westerngriz

Post by westerngriz »

I use a weaver T36 with a 3/8 dot. it is 36X and uses 1/8th clicks. It works well.
matt
Barney

Post by Barney »

I could be wrong, but I heared that Premier Reticle no longer in business
Roodaddy600

Post by Roodaddy600 »

Well for the last two years Ive won the anysights at camp perry, and most the anysight matches I have entered for the last four years. I use a 24 power leupold with the smaller than 1/8th minute dot. I would use just the crosshair but I am lazy and wont send my scope off to get the dot removed. I say what scope you use is mostly personal preference as well as the reticle. I do not like the big dot because I find it harder to shade exactly where I want to. A lot of folks will say you can lose a small dot easily, which may be true for them. Again its personal preference. I am not a fan of the variable power, I just dont trust them because I have had bad luck with a couple of the leupolds Ive owned. They are probably great scopes though I just got bad ones. I also would not say a 36 power is the way to go. There just is no reason to have that much power on top of the rifle. I dont care how good your hold is, mine is great and I stopped using the 36 because it wasnt needed. between 20 and 25 is what I would consider ideal.

Shane