back injury and training

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

mapletune

back injury and training

Post by mapletune »

I've always thought I had to be careful to avoid injury to spine. Turns out, more common injury is back strain.

however, the doctor also said that my injury is also caused by flat feet and the incorrect posture flat feet creates. This correlates with the back pains I often experience even before starting to shoot.

So... even if my back strain isn't entirely caused by the shooting position. Should I recover fully before I start training again?

I want to prepare for an important competition in November and I'd like as much training time as possible =/ I was wondering if I could keep training with shorter sessions each time.
RobStubbs

Re: back injury and training

Post by RobStubbs »

mapletune wrote:I've always thought I had to be careful to avoid injury to spine. Turns out, more common injury is back strain.

however, the doctor also said that my injury is also caused by flat feet and the incorrect posture flat feet creates. This correlates with the back pains I often experience even before starting to shoot.

So... even if my back strain isn't entirely caused by the shooting position. Should I recover fully before I start training again?

I want to prepare for an important competition in November and I'd like as much training time as possible =/ I was wondering if I could keep training with shorter sessions each time.
I guess the major question, is what have you done to solve the 'flat feet' issue ?

If you've done nothing then the problem will recur, I strongly advise seeing a podiatrist and getting orthotic insoles made for your shoes.

Also you need to see a physio, again if you haven't already. Every time my back flares up (thankfully, normally just a small pain), I go to my physio. In my case it just requires mobilisation of the L4/L5 vertebrae and massage of the surrounding muscles and I'm good to go.

The physio not only helps treat the problem, but they are very good at advising what to do in terms of training etc.

Lastly one of the big problems with shooters is that they invariably don't warm up and then stretch. Most do neither in my experience. Again talk to your physio about an exercise / stretching regime that you can follow, prior to shooting.

Rob.
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Rob,you are so right about stretching and warming up before the match.
Since I also suffer some times from waist pains,stretching did helped a lot.
Not to forget how much it helps in prone and kneeling...

mapletune,please inform us if you go to the podiatrist and find a solution about your problem.
Raymond Odle

Post by Raymond Odle »

I am 59 and suffered with severe back pain for decades. Too many years of the wrong treatment.
Spend about $10.00 on the book "Treat Your Own Back" by Robin Mckenzie. Read from front to back first.
I bought mine through Amazon.
www.mckenziemdt.org
A theraphist friend tried for several years to get me to buy this book. Worst came to worst and out of desparation I got the book.
I am a believer now.
It has an unconventional approach to stretching.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Discuss the rifle training w your doctor and PT.
They should be able to help. The PT especially.

You can also use a Home Depot back belt, to protect your lower back. Only thing is, I don't think it will fit under a shooting jacket.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

GaryN wrote:Discuss the rifle training w your doctor and PT.

You can also use a Home Depot back belt, to protect your lower back. Only thing is, I don't think it will fit under a shooting jacket.
If the problem is with the feet affecting the back then really the feet problem needs to be solved. A belt may offer support, but is not a fix. And a belt would probably be deemed illegal in most rule books.

Rob.
henry1

Post by henry1 »

my biggest problem is neck and back spasm when in one prostion for to long .. that why i move around just a little bit to keep the neck and back spasm down to a basic level where i can stand them ..

so i do move around a little along with doing some basic stetching and some warm up drills to help with the problem areas..
mapletune

Post by mapletune »

Thanks for the responses.

My doctor gave me prescription so that I can get orthotic insoles made right at the hospital division. and see a PT to speed up recovery.

I'm also going to make myself stretch before shooting from now on as well =P

I'll report back with updates =)
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Sorry I wasn't clear.
Use the back belt when you are training. But do not use it ALL the time, you have to strengthen the back and abdominal muscles, and using it all the time will weaken those very muscles that you need strengthened.
And of course for sanctioned matches, you have to follow the rules, and I am almost certain that a back belt will not be allowed. UNLESS there is a medical exception. But I do not know the rules for medical exceptions...if there is any.
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

You are on the right track but you should take care of the problem before you start training again. Good Luck and Good Shooting Bill Horton
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

To follow up on Bill's comment.

TAKE CARE OF YOUR BACK !!!!!

No rifle match is worth permanently injuring your back. You only have one back, and a back injury is one of the most disabling injuries you can have. When my back injury flares up BAD, the medication is strong enough that I am basically confined to bed.
mapletune

Post by mapletune »

Thank you all for your comments.

I'm taking a break at the moment, and instead, going over shooting books and resources as well as organizing a training program.

You guys take care as well :)

Post by Guest »

unfortunately, the back belt would be against the rules.
yeshadette21

Post by yeshadette21 »

GaryN wrote:Sorry I wasn't clear.
Use the back belt when you are training. But do not use it ALL the time, you have to strengthen the back and abdominal muscles, and using it all the time will weaken those very muscles that you need strengthened.
And of course for sanctioned matches, you have to follow the rules, and I am almost certain that a back belt will not be allowed. UNLESS there is a medical exception. But I do not know the rules for medical exceptions...if there is any.

Yes, you are right. However, you should be careful before you will go back to the training again. There might be medical exception as your doctor tells you to do- it is a must to follow.

For more info: Medical Alarm
Last edited by yeshadette21 on Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
robf

Post by robf »

RobStubbs wrote:

If the problem is with the feet affecting the back then really the feet problem needs to be solved. A belt may offer support, but is not a fix. And a belt would probably be deemed illegal in most rule books.

Rob.
Rob is right. And as someone who though a few motorbike offs has had feet with zero arch (can't even get a credit card under there), i know that getting help with that is where to start.

Seek professional medical advice. Listen to it.

if you are standing, here's an example...

If your feet are flat, you're knees will be out of line for a start. This means that they won't work so well in position and be weak, and you will probably rotate hips to compensate, leading to more curve and additional twist in the back, especially as your shoulders and neck will probably be trying to orientate to the target and adding more.

Stand in front of a mirror with your bare feet pointing forward, now tell me where your knees are pointing. Then lift your inner side of each foot and then what do they do? Now look at someone who doesn't have flat feet or perhaps a photo of someone and see where their knees point.