What new barrel and action/stock combination

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

BTW2010

What new barrel and action/stock combination

Post by BTW2010 »

I was reading thru the various threads with guys looking for insight into possible new purchases and it got me thinking/ day dreaming, what would be your perfect barrel and action/stock?
I'm shooting an 1813 in a Walnut stock (prone only),and will be for a while unless I come into some money,but if money was no real object what would yours be?
ZD

Dream Rifle

Post by ZD »

Right now, I shoot a 1907 in a 1813 stock (with the previous generation prior to the 4765 Anschutz hook buttplate). As for a dream rifle, I would like to have that barreled action in a System Gemini thumbhole stock. One person on our team has one, and it is a very rare stock in the U.S, and it is British made (with a very adjustable buttplate). Realisticly, I will probably upgrade to an aluminum stock, and was considering the stock made by Jeff Madison. It is a milled aluminum stock with a tuner built into the stock, and it accepts Anschutz and Bill Earnest accesories. I have held one, and it seems to be a very well made stock. The tuner is a interesting feature, and adds one more thing to toy with (as if we didn't have enough to toy with already).
talladega

Post by talladega »

Im not sure what I would get if I had unlimited funds, but once I save up some money I will most likely be buying an Anschutz 2013 in Precise stock. I hopefully will be doing that next year.

I am currently using an older Anschutz 54. I have no clue what exact model it is. I'm borrowing it from our club, thats all I know. And that I want to buy my own. :)
Barney

Post by Barney »

I may be a little bias as I already have this combination, but I dont think you can go past a Bleiker barreled action and Grunig & Elmiger stock.
ZD

Post by ZD »

I would agree, your combination of the bleiker and the grunig and elmger stock is probably the best combination. Just out of curiosity, how much did that combination market for? Definately doesn't seem to be a rifle sold in the U.S. Also, what major differences do you seem to notice of it as opposed to say an Anschutz, as a Bleiker is definately a considerable grade above the Anschutz/Feinwerkbau/Walther Rifles?
Barney

Post by Barney »

The combination cost me just over $8000 australian dollars, but that included import duty, postage fee's and our country's goods and service's tax (GST).

This was just the bare barrel and action no sights and the stock was basic options too, no buttplate or baseplate just the carrier and no handstop as I have used the ones of my old rifle.

The major differences I have noticed with the Bleiker action are that the loading port is two inches closer which makes loading from the shoulder a breeze especially for short armed shooters like myself.

The bolt is very short and has very little travel to operate it similar to a 64 action Anschutz.

The lock time is incrediable from when you realese the trigger to the shot going off, it sounds weired, but when I first got it I could actually "Feel" it was quicker.

With the Grunig stock combination there is basically no recoil what so ever, its just dead, you can release the shot and the front sight appears not to move off the aiming mark.

As for the accuracy, its amazing, I use Eley Team for training and Match for comps (Prone 50m) and it will consistantly shoot groups under 10 - 8mm off the shoulder. I have never batch tested this rifle off a rest or clamped test jig yet, all the testing I've done has been in the Prone postion and everthing has shot very well.

It think this maybe partly due to the bolt face which somehow designed to calibrate the rim thickness to keep it consistant, so you basicaly dont need to rim thickness gauge your ammo and secondly due to the Lilja stainless steel barrel its supplied with, it just consistantly tack holes.

There is only one draw back with this rifle, the barrel has a special chamber for Eley ammo and the head space is set at .039 where as a standard Anschutz is .043

Due to this tight head space it is extreamly hard to chamber anything other than Eley as it has the thinest rim of most of the target ammo.

Mabye once its has worn in a little more I will be able to try some other brands, I have a case of SK Std which awsome in my 1813 and would love to try it in the Bleiker to see if its just as good.

As I said in my last post, I am a bit bias due to owning one, but I must say it the best .22 rifle I have ever owned or shot.

Barney
ZD

Post by ZD »

That is very incredible accuracy. Also interesting that the headspace is set for eley ammo, although tenex seems to win most of the medals. I have yet to test my 1907 rifle with super match grade ammo, as I typically average in the 540's and the 550's if I get a good combination of scores. However, it really seems to like the SK standard, and the groups I shot off the bench were holding the ten ring (one group was four shots through one hole, and one that went up a hair). Seems to shoot well, 196 is pretty good with medium grade ammo. Also found that it liked Fiocchi, which is hard to get. Most of our team practices with SK, and if it can fit in your bleiker, it would probably shoot well.
Barney

Post by Barney »

I have only had it 6 months, so hopefully once it wears in a little more I can try the Sk again, much cheaper to train with.

A friend of mine has one, which he got back in 2007 and he now uses Sk to train with and the stuff shoots good through his.

I have tried the Fiocchi in my 1813 and it shoots very well, but like you its hard to get regular supplies of it.

But thats like most thing's, you get onto something good then they stop the supply or producing it full stop.
justadude

Post by justadude »

The Bleiker sounds very nice. I have seen pictures, never one in person.

I will toss out that for nostalgia reasons I would like to have and old Winchester 52E. OK, I know that today's modern stocks have advantages but you couldn't sell the factory Winchester target barrels short, they were often very good barrels. Similar to the Bleiker the 52 bolt was a fairly short throw compared to my Anschutz. Trigger.... well OK you got me there. Not sure there would even be a decent supply of aftermarket triggers for a Winchester these days. But hey, I said nostalgia reasons not that I was going for a World Cup.

'Dude
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I'm not going to comment on barrell / action because I don't have the experience with them. But for stocks I'd certainly go for the walther anatomic - in fact it's on my shopping list having tried one, I just need to get the money for it.

Rob.
Jason

Post by Jason »

RobStubbs wrote:But for stocks I'd certainly go for the walther anatomic - in fact it's on my shopping list having tried one, I just need to get the money for it.
I've heard lot of folks raving about this stock, Rob, but no one can really explain how or why it's so much better than other current designs. Can you help us out and explain why you think it's so nice?

I've been using a borrowed 2313 for almost a year now and really like the adjustability of the stock but I have to admit I'm feeling a little nostalgic for my old wood 1913 stock with the spring-loaded cheekpiece.

Jason
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Jason wrote:
RobStubbs wrote:But for stocks I'd certainly go for the walther anatomic - in fact it's on my shopping list having tried one, I just need to get the money for it.
I've heard lot of folks raving about this stock, Rob, but no one can really explain how or why it's so much better than other current designs. Can you help us out and explain why you think it's so nice?

I've been using a borrowed 2313 for almost a year now and really like the adjustability of the stock but I have to admit I'm feeling a little nostalgic for my old wood 1913 stock with the spring-loaded cheekpiece.

Jason
The stock is certainly better for me being a short person. You can configure it a fair bit shorter in the butt than most others (that I've looked at). It also felt pretty well balanced - but that's probably easy compared to my quite big 1813 supermatch. I also prefer the wooden type stocks and it is that. So I guess adjustability and feel for me sums it up. But like all these things, it won't suit everyone.

Rob.
Dave IRL

Post by Dave IRL »

Stocks are intensely personal. I'm just waiting to collect my new rifle, which has an Anschutz Precise stock, but I'm going to speak to Grunig and Elmiger in Munich at the weekend about an offer they made me on an RSII some time back. Once I've had a look at the stock, I'll decide whether to trade the Precise against it. I loved my old 1813 stock though, was a great bit of kit, so anything that comes now has to be significantly better to look good.
Barney

Post by Barney »

RSII no longer made, it is now the RSIII

Difference is it now has a lot of rubbery squishy balls inside the sling rail recess and inside of the action adaptor plate.

Suppose to help with vibrations.

Also, I believe it only comes in black pistol grip and brushed sliver finish to the alloy now. (well it was the case when I got mine a few months back, no options to choose colours)

The Keppler stocks look pretty good, bit of a cross between the old anschutz alloy stock (before the precise) in the forend and the walther kk stock in the rear
Dave IRL

Post by Dave IRL »

Grunig still have some left-handed versions of the RSII, which they offered me for a very nice price. At the time I was enquiring, the RSIII was not being made in a left-handed format. Not sure whether that's changed now. I'll have a word with them in Munich anyway and see whether they'll swap for my Precise and maybe a few extra euro if necessary. Then we'll know where we stand.

Post by Guest »

I'm quite a fan of the old Sercs stock, which has a striking similarity to the Grunig...

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/5511/dscf0329i.jpg
Dave IRL

Post by Dave IRL »

Anonymous wrote:I'm quite a fan of the old Sercs stock, which has a striking similarity to the Grunig...

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/5511/dscf0329i.jpg
I've looked high and low for a left-handed one, and while I've found a few, curiously enough, their owners have been perfectly happy to hold onto them. Would love to find one to trade though.
Barney

Post by Barney »

Sorry Dave IRL, Didn't know you were a Lefty :-), hopefully they still have some of the old RSII in left hand, should be a little cheaper for you
Barney

Post by Barney »

Is this stock made by Sercs for Mec ?? as its has Mec Project written on it or am I getting my wire's crossed and is the same thing??

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/5511/dscf0329i.jpge

Post by Guest »

The three I have all have MEC Project on the side, but its the same stock. MEC made them under license for a while before they made their own stock.