1413 Anschutz with a Lyman Super Target 20x..... Good for?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Shooter*Van

1413 Anschutz with a Lyman Super Target 20x..... Good for?

Post by Shooter*Van »

So I aquired a 1413 Anschutz with a Lyman Super Target 20x scope on it. What kind of competition can you use this in? Strictly prone stuff? I competed in High Power and Air Rifle and I am unfamiliar with the Small Bore Competition World. Any help would be great. Also I plan on competing in Washington state, so websites you may know of would be great!!
weilers

Post by weilers »

If the scope holds zero well, and depending on the barrel, action, etc., you can probably do some local NRA matches where ANY Sights are allowed: Rule 3.7(c). You also have the option of doing NRA Smallbore Silhouette.

If the rifle is in the right condition, you also have the option of doing Rimfire Benchrest. If I'm not mistaken, that's done at both 50 and 100 yards. For rimfire benchrest, check out the Rimfire Shooting forum:(http://rimfireshooting.com/index.php?act=idx). They more or less specialize in rimfire benchrest.

For the NRA matches, keep an eye out for the editions of Shooting Sports USA (They're online).

Good Luck to you
Xman

Post by Xman »

Weilers is correct on the NRA SB anysight competition, prone and position. But I do no believe that even a stripped down 1413 with or without the Lyman will make the weight limit for smallbore silhouette. AS I recall the weight was 11lbs 2oz with sights for NRA SB Sil.

Stripped down I am meaning no butt hook, no adjustable for length butt plate, rail, etc. The 1413 is a very heavy barrelled, heavy wood stock free rifle. I also do not think the forend will make the thickness rule from bore centerline to bottom of forend at the trigger guard. As I recall I believe that a no thumbhole stock rule is also in effect now.

What the OP can do is put the action in a SB Sil legal stock and get a "conventional" scope for weight, ease of focus etc. The reciever is grooved. Personally I think the Lyman is too "fragile" for all the clicking and adjusting and extra handleing a gun takes in a silhoutte match. Again the very heavy barrelled action is going to limit your stock types and designs.
little_doodie

Post by little_doodie »

1413 is the free rifle of the 1960-1970s it shoots very well in prone and 3P smallbore. Its too heavy for Silhouette. Lyman super target spot is a great scope and if in good shape will perform extremely well.
The 1413 does not have all the bells and whistles that the modern 1913 or 2013 has but your new to smallbore so thats a good thing ... less things to think about. There is a good chance that it will shoot as well if not better than many new guns of today.
TomN

Post by TomN »

Your equipment sounds a lot like what I use (1413 w/ Redfield 3200 scope.) The rifle shoots great, far better than what I can hold. If you've been following this forum you know that ammo makes a huge difference and that you'll have to do some experimenting to find the best brand and lot for your individual rifle.

You may find that shooting standing is difficult with the scope mounted. (That's less the case in prone and kneeling, as you have better bone support in those positions.) Try mounting iron sights on the 1413 and you'll find it is a completely different rifle. It's built for irons rather than scope, and I find it more pleasant to shoot with irons.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Xman wrote:AS I recall the weight was 11lbs 2oz with sights for NRA SB Sil.
SB sil weights (rule 3.2) refer back to HP Sil Rifle weight of 10lb-2oz (rule 3.1(a)

NRA rules are online so they are real easy to look up.
http://www.nrahq.org/compete/nra-rule-books.asp
Very handy as I can't remember much in my old age....
ADC59

Re: Anschutz M1413 + 20x Lyman Scope

Post by ADC59 »

Hello:

Smallbore prone on the any sight days but also gallery shooting, 50 foot indoor 4-P, usually shot in a winter league format.

Send me an e-mail at:

alcarey@w-link.net

if you want to know about competitive smallbore shooting in Washington. I keep the smallbore page for the Washington Rifle and Pistol Association website and have shot/attended most of the local matches.

Alan Carey