Rifles damaged by airlines

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Rifles damaged by airlines

Post by Guest »

A couple of days ago, I heard about these things happening more often than not and was told it was done by airline and TSA employees who do not like guns. In the BTS section, it was just mentioned that an aluminum stock was broken in two but the case was fine. How else could something like this happen with no damage to the case unless it was on purpose? Curious as to what Southwest is offering to do for that owner seeing how most airlines only claim to be responsible for $200 for lost, stolen or damaged baggage?
Advice from any and all about how to fly with your rifle would be much appreciated as I am about to fly to my first match.
Also, is there any extra insurance to buy or any coverage you can get through homeowners that could protect you from this type of sabotage?
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

It is extremely common for rifle stocks to get broken in the wrist area while in transit with the airlines. This was the main reason for companies going to laminated stocks 20 years ago to get a stronger stock in that area, and they still break. Aluminum stocks break there. And yes, very very seldom is there damage to the outside of the box. It is the torsional stress of the gun somehow different from the shape of the case. The best / only prevention for this is to dissasemble the stock from the action so you have a shorter unit to absorb the stress
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

If I were in your position I'd be awfully tempted to FedEx the rifle to myself or someone in the area. When I order firearms from the CMP I get them addressed as "Hold at FedEx location" and then pick them up at the distribution center. You might want to inquire if that is possible. If not, maybe you can ship them to a Kinko's or UPS customer center, and pick it up when you get there. I think since you're sending it to yourself it doesn't require an FFL. I've received countless rifles through UPS and FedEx and never had damage. I have a lot more faith in FedEx and UPS than I have in airline baggage handlers.
David Levene

Re: Rifles damaged by airlines

Post by David Levene »

Anonymous wrote: Also, is there any extra insurance to buy
I wouldn't fly anywhere, including the US, without travel/baggage insurance.

I still have memories of seeing two of my FAS pistols going round on the baggage carousel, followed by the remains of the case they had been in originally. Luckily nothing was lost and the airline supplied a replacement case, but it could have been an expensive claim.
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

Yeah, depending on how well fitted the foam is, as well as it's density and energy absorbing properties, the impact of a drop can cause the rifle to snap, or even the sights to shear off (if you leave them on the doverail).

The obvious answer is to either get a break-down case, or a second set of foam for your case if you prefer to keep the rifle whole most of the time, and just break it down to stock and barrel/action for air travel, etc. This means tension on the tip of the barrel is not going to be acting all the way down the stock, potentially in the opposite direction to forces acting around the butt (with the wrist area being the thinnest and weakest point in between).
By shortening the unit (by breaking it into two pieces), you obviously reduce the mechanical advantage that force applied to the extremities of either part will have.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

A lot depends on the case. The usual light cases won't cut the mustard. I'd suggest either Pelican or Kalispell/ICC for serious air travel.
henry1

Post by henry1 »

i use a heavy duty pelican travel case with cutouts in the case without the sights attched to the rifle with extra padding for the rifle case layed over the rifle when it inside the case ..
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Mike M. wrote:A lot depends on the case. The usual light cases won't cut the mustard. I'd suggest either Pelican or Kalispell/ICC for serious air travel.
In the situation of junior shooter from my club last week, it WAS a Pelican case. And naturally, it was the stock on the left-hand rifle that broke.

Southwest pointed out that they are liable only for damage to the case itself.

See "United breaks Guitars" on YouTube to learn how airlines feel about breaking your stuff:-)
sparky

Post by sparky »

TomAmlie wrote:If I were in your position I'd be awfully tempted to FedEx the rifle to myself or someone in the area. When I order firearms from the CMP I get them addressed as "Hold at FedEx location" and then pick them up at the distribution center. You might want to inquire if that is possible. If not, maybe you can ship them to a Kinko's or UPS customer center, and pick it up when you get there. I think since you're sending it to yourself it doesn't require an FFL. I've received countless rifles through UPS and FedEx and never had damage. I have a lot more faith in FedEx and UPS than I have in airline baggage handlers.
You're still receiving a firearm that traveled in interstate commerce. I wouldn't want to bet a felony conviction on that without getting something in writing from the BATFE.
On the other hand, I guess you could take the barreled action with you and just ship the stock.
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

sparky wrote:
TomAmlie wrote:If I were in your position I'd be awfully tempted to FedEx the rifle to myself or someone in the area. When I order firearms from the CMP I get them addressed as "Hold at FedEx location" and then pick them up at the distribution center. You might want to inquire if that is possible. If not, maybe you can ship them to a Kinko's or UPS customer center, and pick it up when you get there. I think since you're sending it to yourself it doesn't require an FFL. I've received countless rifles through UPS and FedEx and never had damage. I have a lot more faith in FedEx and UPS than I have in airline baggage handlers.
You're still receiving a firearm that traveled in interstate commerce. I wouldn't want to bet a felony conviction on that without getting something in writing from the BATFE.
On the other hand, I guess you could take the barreled action with you and just ship the stock.
You can legally (http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicen ... earms-usps), but the USPS doesn't have a "hold for pickup" service so you'd have to be able to send it to yourself "in care of" someone else. FedEx and UPS may have their own rules about it.
robf

Post by robf »

may not be an impact fracture, could be a weak point in the ally, made worse by temperature drop or vibration or pressure drop. I've seen pictures of the rifles snapping there just from normal use... only needs a small micro crack and it's off...

i'm using the far deeper 1750 et all gun cases now, as my rigs are normally scoped with quite fragile sidewheels and deep fore-ends... i much prefer several inches of foam either side than 1-2. Gun didn't even move in the case on the last trip.