Firearms Sale in MD

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Tom E

Firearms Sale in MD

Post by Tom E »

Hi:

Can anyone tell me what is involved on the sale of a 22 cal rimfire target rifle in Marlyand. I do not have a Firearms License but I recall that in Maryland, you used to be able to sell to another individual (no Firearms License as well) as long as you documented the sale and the purchaser was over 18.

My Winchester 52 Heavy barrel has not been fired in over 40 years and I feel it needs a new home. Last outing, our Maryland team (Powder Burners, operating out of Art Cooks range in Beltsville) took the Virginia Junior Smallbore Team Championship as I recall. Still have the medal around here somewhere.

Any information appreciated.

Thanks
Tom
weilers

Post by weilers »

About 5 or 6 years ago, I did a person-to-person transfer when I still lived down south. BATF told me all I needed was a receipt with the standard recitals: name, address, make, model, serial, price, date, and both signatures.

With that said, I sincerely wish I had never done that. A hurricane hit, I lost my records, etc. As I recall, in MD, you do NOT need a license to purchase a rifle. MD residents can purchase long guns out-of-state (I live in York, PA and I see MD residents buying long guns up here all the time.)

From what you've said, it sounds like you have something really special. I'd suggest finding a knowledgable dealer who specializes in match guns, or using a website such as gunbroker.com. On there, I've seen 52s go for over $1,000, depending on condition. I'd goto gunbroker simply because you're not likely to find a strong market for such a remarkable piece as the 52 in your area. Once you make the sale, goto an FFL and let them do the transaction for you. You should be looking at a transfer fee in the neighborhood of $30 to $50, plus the cost of shipping (buyer usually pays).

Wish you all the best
Tom E

Firearms Sale

Post by Tom E »

Weilers:

Thanks for the info. Had no idea what the old girl was worth.

It's the heavy barrel model with adjustable harmonic damping, Redfield Olympics, leather sling, case, Freeland almuminum handstop, padded leather shooting glove and 50 rnd. ammo block for good measure.

Minor cosmetic blemish on butt stock but otherwise pristine, no rust no dings, all the blueing is present and accounted for.

If you take care of your equipment it'll take care of you.

Thanks again for the information and your advice.

Tom
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

weilers wrote:About 5 or 6 years ago, I did a person-to-person transfer when I still lived down south. BATF told me all I needed was a receipt with the standard recitals: name, address, make, model, serial, price, date, and both signatures.
They lied. You need record nothing.

BATF lying? What a surprise.........
Jose Rossy

Re: Firearms Sale in MD

Post by Jose Rossy »

Tom E wrote:Hi:

Can anyone tell me what is involved on the sale of a 22 cal rimfire target rifle in Marlyand. I do not have a Firearms License but I recall that in Maryland, you used to be able to sell to another individual (no Firearms License as well) as long as you documented the sale and the purchaser was over 18.
There are zero requirements in MD to document anything unless the firearm in question is classified as a "regulated firearm". That means handguns and certain kinds of scary looking rifles.

You need not document the sale in any way shape or form.

I found this out in about 15 minutes of perusing MD firearm laws in the Maryland Code on line.

I am amazed at the level of misinformation that exists WRT to the sale and purchase of firearms.
weilers

Post by weilers »

I know exactly what you're talking about. I've come to chalking it up to this: used to be that people learned about guns the same way they learned about a lot of things-by doing. People bought guns and they went shooting and hunting. But nowadays people learn about things, to quote the great Muhammad Ali, "On TV."

Nowadays, you can walk into a Bass Pro Shop or a Cabela's and they'll try to sell you a video game to simulate hunting or fishing. My only question is, which was the sadder day in America: when the biggest outdoor stores start selling video games, or the day Winchester stopped making quality firearms like the 52?
Tom E

Winchester

Post by Tom E »

Hi Weilers:

I agree. Very sad indeed when Winchester went out of business. Was one of the great American companies that figured heavily in the development of the frontier.

The Winchester 30-30 is the iconic deer rifle in this part of the country. Nothing wrong with Marlin but I wonder how long they will last in the current political climate.

Couldn't believe it when the Military pistol contract went to Baretta either.
I believe that they are made in the local Southern Maryland plant but I feel we are squandering our heritage to save a few bucks.

Funny, realy, when you consider the massive waste in Government.

Sorry, just a little rant on the state of things as I see them.

Cheers
Tom
SRichieR

Post by SRichieR »

Records aren't required for in-state private sale of firearms in Alabama, however, it is always a good idea to protect yourself whether you are the buyer or seller.