AP training using a project management approach

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

ASA

AP training using a project management approach

Post by ASA »

Due to professional reasons I was away from targettalk for some time.

For our club I just prepared a training plan for air pistol which can be found here:

http://svlondorf1969.de/PlanungLP2010.html

(The German version will follow in a couple of days)

Since they say "If your only tool is a hammer, all problems look like nails" my view as a project manager might be similarly biased..
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Can you post some pdfs? I can't read those files.
ASA

Post by ASA »

The *.mmap (MindManager format) files can be viewed with the respective vierwer from Mindjet (as indicated on the page):

http://www.mindjet.com/support/tutorials/viewer

The download is free of charge.

With the current version of MindManager 8 the PDFs become pretty large. This is why I provided the original files and referred to the viewer.
Over the weekend I will use my older laptop to create some smaller PDFs with MM7.
ASA

Post by ASA »

Hi folks,

I have updated the documents (version info, some clarifications). The place is still the same: http://svlondorf1969.de/PlanungLP2010.html

The download statistics indicates that the shot plan finds the most interest.

However, from a project point of view the planning documents provide much more insight into the project. I have included in the schedule the analysis of the past week (calendar week 27) and will continue to do so in the weeks to come.

Therefore the schedule will give a good overview on the elaboration of the project over time.

Comments are welcome..
ASA

Post by ASA »

Hi everybody,

in order to improve readability, I provide the goals and subsequent evaluation in Word-format (simple copy&paste form the project schedule). To be found on the above mentioned page - so to say the project's virtual "war-room"

Since the objective of the project is competition readiness the effectivity of the training activities should be assessed and some means of forecasting should be provided.
For this I will use the so-called Earned Value Approach - nicely described here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earned_value_management

Some adaptation was necessary (because only effort and no money is spent on the project). I will put this online when shooting training will be replaced by competition training - in 2 weeks.
ASA

Post by ASA »

Hi folks,

the preparation phase of the project is 50% complete and the athlete has started with the first competition training.

Rob has made an interesting comment regarding hold time (in the ISSF-TV coverage thread):
RobStubbs wrote: ..whilst it may look like they have a very long hold, it can be deceptive. I was sat next to the Russian coach of Cheviakovsky who finished 4th in the mens AP final. I was therefore able to watch him in some detail (whilst obviously also watching my own shooter, who was shooting next to him). Yes he did appear to hold for longer periods of time, but more often than not, his longest holds coincided with a poor shot.

The point being that you need to shoot within the optimum period of your own hold, not someone elses. By careful training and detailed observation, you can find out what works best but don't expect to have a brilliant hold for 10,12 seconds etc if you have not spend hours a day training for it.

Rob.
The time measurements taken for competition training and dry-fire training during the the project show - at present - a steadily decreasing duration for a shot. Please find the details here: http://svlondorf1969.de/LinkedDocuments ... alysis.doc. Obviously the duration cannot shrink below a certain limit - it will be interesting to see when the current time variation will stabilize and what the duration of a shot will be then.

BTW: In order to proceed in a planned way, I adjusted the QM-part (here the metrics) of the project management plan. It was necessary as well to modify the shot plan (the need for a new formula came up during the athlete's training).

Since one of the project drivers was to improve competition behaviour, the first competition training marks the starting point for forecasting (Shooting training may be pleasant for the athlete but does not say a lot regarding competition) . I will make the data available on the schedule (next to the training load overview) in the coming weeks.

A successful week to all of you
ASA

Post by Guest »

Thank you for sharing, it looks very useful, good luck with your trainning.
I am a self trained shooter and I have found this site of interest as well, http://www.targetshooting.ca/

Post by Guest »

On page 13 and 15 of the .doc version of the plan, which shooting software did you use, to measure holding vs score?
ASA

Post by ASA »

Hi,

actually, the graphics are of much simpler origin:

The shooter measures the time for the respective phase of the shot plan and sorts it (that is taking respective notes) into one of three categories:

excellent: if the sights are aligned and do not move when the shot breaks - AP is held motionless,

ok: if the sights are aligned, but small movements are noticed when the shot breaks,

bad: sights de-aligned, hefty, possibly jerking movements when shot breaks.

After the training the data is transferred into 3 columns of an Excel-sheet. It does the rest: Average, mode, standard deviation and graphics.
ASA

Post by ASA »

Hi folks,

now, that our local competition dates are fixed I changed the schedule accordingly including a name change (because it is not tentative any more). The schedule's overview section is expanded to include forecasting of project performance.

The goals/analysis word document (a schedule subset) contains additional graphics.
2650 Plus

Project management Approach

Post by 2650 Plus »

My experience with project management approaches led me to identify all the piles of manure , dig appropraite holes, shovel the manure into the holes and cover it up. For competition shooting I believe you should strive to identify the gold at the firing line and learn to repeat over and over the few steps that result in a correctly performaned shot sequence. I am taking this approach because I am too lazy to study what you are proposing and just want to make sure you are not dealing with manure. Good Shooting Bill Horton
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

Asa, let me apologise if I sounded like .Rover. I hope you are aware of my dedication to the positive approach and that I am convinced that the slightest negative input prior to the shot delivery is likely to produce less than the desired results. Good Luck with your project and Good Shooting Bill Horton
ASA

Post by ASA »

Good morning Bill,

Thank you for your comment.
Actually, in mentioning the difference between manure and a correctly performed shot sequence you have touched a vital point:
It is the job of the shooter to execute the product-oriented tasks – in project management lingo. In our case this means to perform the training sessions (which hopefully support/enhance his or her abilities) and the respective shooting/competition sessions.
It is the duty of the project manager to let him/her do exactly this, getting out of his way and to support him by “shoveling the manure” out of the shooter’s way.

The underlying idea of project management is:
There is usually a stream of projects
- one from the past that is hopefully documented well enough.
- A project which is currently performed – exploiting the lessons learned from the previous one.
- As a prudent project manager one should always perform/document the current project such that it can be used for the next project to come – in theory a no-brainer...

TGIF and good shooting to all of us..