Development Level Shooters

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Dave IRL

Development Level Shooters

Post by Dave IRL »

One thing that's very difficult to get information on in this sport is the most effective way to train as a developmental shooter. Getting advice for beginners is easy, and getting information for high level guys, thanks to places like this, is also pretty well available, but what about the intermediate bracket? Once somebody's a good, solid, club-level shooter, but wants to push on past that and start putting in 590+ scores (starting around the high 570s and low 580s mark) what's the best way for them to train and develop? I suppose over the last while I've identified a lot I want to work on for myself, and will be trying to deal with those things in isolation, but is there a different way? Personally, I've settled on a good, firm position, and have a small series of refinements I'm working on for my physical technique, and I know the psychological side lets me down (I'm terrible for letting a shot go on an imperfect sight picture through some kind of vague hope or false confidence that it might work out, and I tell myself I can always get the next one if I don't get this anyway) but I'm working towards improving both as I go, though the latter is obviously difficult to break. I'm primarily a prone shooter but am starting into 3P as well, and due to the increased demands that'll put on my training, I'm just wondering is there a way to make my work more efficient now.

Dave
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

Dave,

Goal setting and planning will be extremely helpful in your practice plan. Choose a match you recently shot, or will shoot soon, and make that your baseline. Write down what you'd like to improve in a separate list for each of your positions.

Now set your long term goal in shooting: a score, an achievement, a team, college team, recreational shooter. Next I'd set a score goal for the end of this year or a major match in the middle of 2011. Make sure you break down that score for what you will shoot in each position (eg. Prone 98s, Standing 92s, Kneeling 95s = 570 half course, 1140 full course).

Now break that goal into monthly goals from your baseline to that medium goal. Look to get 1 point a month in one or two positions, and hold steady in the third. This way you don't have to concentrate on all three positions at once. Note that your improvements will not be that linear, more like jumps and plateaus. But if you get ahead, adjust your goals to catch up to you, if you fall behind, keep working, you'll get there.

Lastly, plan out every single practice each month for what you will do to train. Work on a specific component, technique, mental routine, etc. How many shots will you practice (or how long).

After practice, write down in your shooting diary what works, what doesn't, etc. This is important so you don't unknowingly try the same thing that failed miserably down the road.
Dave IRL

Post by Dave IRL »

Thanks for that. I do keep notes religiously, and have noticed the benefit. Out of curiosity, are those the goals I should be thinking of starting out in 3P? I suppose it's hard to say, but is there a timescale I should be working towards in making those scores? My only defined goal is in prone at the moment (585 at the Irish National Championships in October) as I just don't know what I should be thinking of for 3P. My last matches were around 570, but those weren't particularly convincing either. I know my standard is better than that, just need to realise that more often. Only starting into 3P now, hoping to get into 300m Standard Rifle in a few years. To be honest, my aim is to be able to shoot 570 in that 3x20 as my basic goal.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I'm gonna disagree with Soupy44 as goals should not be score orientated. That is an outcome and your goals need to be process driven.

So turn it around and think what you need to do to improve the scores. Work on the poorer areas of your technique and concentrate on getting the mental game right. If you are underperforming at matches then look at why - did you get overly nervous or anxious ? Were you concentrating on being positive, focusing on the good shots, or were you score watching and analysing as you went ?

Remember also that your training plan should be built around the year being 4 phases; rest or recovery, preparation, pre competition and competition. You can then break those down into smaller chunks and develop the work activities accordingly. So for example in the preparation phase, you do more of your body conditioning but also look at your technique from scratch and check and train each element.

All of this is far easier with a coach, but I know good coaches are few and far between...

Rob.
henry1

Post by henry1 »

like the one person say a good coach is worth there wieght in gold for a middle level shooter .
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

henry1 wrote:like the one person say a good coach is worth there wieght in gold for a middle level shooter .
Agreed, but for any level shooter, a good coach is a big bonus.

Rob.
henry1

Post by henry1 »

like a lot of people here i try and fill here and there as a basic coach for the kids that shoot at the house team along with i mix and match some of the pratices shooting drills to keep it from becomeing boreing ..

at one match i was pulled aside by one of the coachs and told that i should be pushing harder on the kids ...for he overhead my speech to them ..this what i say to them before a match ..all i can do is ask that you the do your best out there .so go out there and have a little fun and shoot your best that you can do and show them what you can do ..
robf

Post by robf »

henry1 wrote:like a lot of people here i try and fill here and there as a basic coach for the kids that shoot at the house team along with i mix and match some of the pratices shooting drills to keep it from becomeing boreing ..

at one match i was pulled aside by one of the coachs and told that i should be pushing harder on the kids ...for he overhead my speech to them ..this what i say to them before a match ..all i can do is ask that you the do your best out there .so go out there and have a little fun and shoot your best that you can do and show them what you can do ..
I don't buy into the mr motivator pushing to win speeches either... results and scores are the things of fantasy that you have less control over than the process of what you do yourself, as Rob points out. As I've said before, I've found it helps with mental fitness under pressure as well if your mind is occupied with shooting rather than dreaming, which can turn into a nightmare if the reality concentration goes on that, instead of the work. Been there, done that myself, and have seen the difference thinking about the different things myself. I know which one works for me and others i've worked with ;)