What shooting glasses do you use?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

WesternGrizzly

What shooting glasses do you use?

Post by WesternGrizzly »

I am thinking about getting shooting glasses. Which do you use and why do you use them?
I am looking at the MEC glasses, Knoblocks, Champions, Jaggi ect.
matt

Post by Guest »

I have used most, and prefer the MEC.
jmkwyo

Post by jmkwyo »

If you are able to try more than one you should. I have always used Knoblochs and my shooters have too. The MEC and Champion frames both look very nice as well.
Tzed250

Post by Tzed250 »

I use the Champion Olympics for pistol. I chose them from comments made on this board about them. I am pleased with my choice. If I was choosing glasses for 3P I would most likely get the Super Olympics.
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Whenever someone asks about starting with shooting glasses, I try to suggest they try contact lenses first. If your required correction can be achieved with contacts, they are so much less hassle than shooting frames.

If you have to use shooting frames, it's best to be able to get the lens as close to your eye as possible. It is very important to be able to swivel the lens in a vertical plane, to compensate for up and down head tilt. You need to be able to get the centre of the lens on the optical axis of your eye and the sights, and the plane of the lens at right angles to this axis. This can be a challenge when you are prone, with your head down, peering out from under your eyebrow. MEC allows these adjustmens. Some others don't.
jmkwyo

Post by jmkwyo »

There are some proponents of contact lenses, but many people have had issues wearing them while shooting them. One being that if you do have a misfire your eye is not as protected as it would be with a lens, and in a worse case scenario it could plaster the contact to your eyeball. They also tend to get really dry when shooting. Might be worth a try if you wear them though.
Charlotte

Post by Charlotte »

My 2 cents is that if you are only shooting prone the Knoblochs are fine and that is what I have. The problem with Knobloch vs Champion is that if you are shooting offhand, kneeling or sitting and prone you have to take the frames off to make adjustments for each position and I find it tedious. If I had it to do over I would opt for Champions because of the easier adjustment. Not familiar with the other two brands.
WesternGrizzly

Post by WesternGrizzly »

the Mec Glasses look like all you do is adjust each lens for each position and just swap them out and youre good.
matt