Adding weight to Toz forend

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
mstark

Adding weight to Toz forend

Post by mstark »

I have been contemplating adding weight to the forend of my Toz free pistol. I am new to this sport (jan).

From my understanding, the pros to increasing weight on the barrel end of the gun are to reduce felt recoil and also help steady the sights ?

What is a good weight to start with?

The Centra forend would be a nice option, but I havn't been able to find someone willing to ship to the US. I have family in Switzerland, so could probably order one through them, but it's a rainy day, I'm not working today and could use a project. For whatever reason, I don't want to do the rink-style weights on a post. I am considering milling out the inside of the wooden forend to create space for adding lead (I'm thinking fishing lures milled or melted to fit). Has anyone ever tried this approach? Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated. Thanks
mjmarz

toz forend

Post by mjmarz »

Talk to Neal Stepp of ISS, Fort Worth Tx. I did notice however that they are not listed in the most current catalogue.
LukeP

Post by LukeP »

I placed four 8mm hole in the forend, under the barrel in the front part, completely invisible from exterior, and put .32 lead wad cutter bullets, 98grains for each hole.

Ideally the Toz has to be balanced an Inch or two fingers in front of trigger.
JamesH

Re: Adding weight to Toz forend

Post by JamesH »

mstark wrote: (I'm thinking fishing lures milled or melted to fit). Has anyone ever tried this approach? Any thoughts or insights would be appreciated. Thanks
Bear in mind cast lead expands as it ages, over a period of years.
You don't want a cracked forend.
mstark

Post by mstark »

JamesH wrote: Bear in mind cast lead expands as it ages, over a period of years.
Thanks, i didn't know that. I was planning to mill it down and secure it with two screws. I'm not going to pour directly into the forend.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

mstark wrote:
JamesH wrote: Bear in mind cast lead expands as it ages, over a period of years.
Thanks, i didn't know that. I was planning to mill it down and secure it with two screws. I'm not going to pour directly into the forend.
I'd still be a bit careful, fix it with silicone or putty or similar.
catmandu

Fore End

Post by catmandu »

I believe you can get it here.
They will order it.

Center Shot Sports
Phone: 1-703-266-1874
Fax: 1-703-266-1786
www.centershot.com

Paul in WNY
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

I would suggest that, if you are new to the free pistol, you start with no added weight. When your performance has reached a plateau, only then start messing with the hardware. A nose-heavy pistol can swing about like a pendulum, particularly with a 'limp-wrist' grip angle. The last thing you need is to have to make a conscious effort to fight the thing.

Bear in mind that the torque exerted on your wrist increases with the distance a given weight is from your wrist, but its moment of inertia (ie resistance to swing [desirable] or difficulty stopping swing [undesirable]) increases with the square of the distance. Therefore, all other things being equal, to make the muzzle less 'lively' the weight should be as near the muzzle as possible. However, once it starts swinging, it is harder to stop. On the other hand, if you want to move the balance forward for some reason, you can minimise the effect on the behaviour of the muzzle by using a heavier weight further from the muzzle. I don't think I have made this very clear, but, as you can see, it ain't straightforward. Leave it alone until you shoot the standard pistol well.

Adhesive wheel-weights are a convenient way to add mass. They are easier to add and remove than something buried in the fore-end.
agentr

weight

Post by agentr »

If you are still watching, check this out.

/viewtopic.php?t=20712&postdays=0&posto ... &start=120
agentr

weight

Post by agentr »

If you are still watching, check this out.

/viewtopic.php?t=20712&postdays=0&posto ... &start=120