Is it okay to shoot lead pellets at home?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

paulo

Is it okay to shoot lead pellets at home?

Post by paulo »

I believe a large portion of shooters, practice air pistol at home.
I would like to know if that practice can cause lead contamination in your home, or area of practice.
Thanks for all the informed answers.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Lead contamination will depend on a few factors, velocity and the actual back stop being two of them. Also the vast majority of high blood lead levels are from the lead in the primer compounds used in cartridge firearms or individuals who cast lead bullets.

Elemental lead is a heavy molecule and does not become easily airborne.
That said you should follow proper hygiene practices when handling lead.

If you use the search function there is lots of info here, lots.
joker

Post by joker »

A very sensible question. I have a 6 M range at home and looked into this topic quite deeply. To cut to the most significant point I discovered, is the use of a pellet catcher with material in it to allow the pellets to be embedded. I use a steel 17 cm catcher/target holder which has a 2 cm lining of 'Plumbers Mait' which is a soft putty type material into which the pellets sink and avoid hitting the steel backing. This prevents lead dust and I clean out the pellets after each session and collect them for later disposal at a scrap dealer. I belive that this putty is known as 'duct seal' in the USA. As far as I can ascertain, this is the most significant precaution one can take with lead pellets. The putty can be easily obtained in UK from any DIY outlet such as B&Q and is inexpensive. Once the centre of the lining becomes heavily discoloured and loaded with paper wad from the targets, I scoop that part out and redo the hole - it works out very economical - I have put 7500 pellets into 1 application of the putty which has had the centre replaced 4 times.
Last edited by joker on Thu May 20, 2010 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BorzoiDad

Indoor Shooting Lead Pellets

Post by BorzoiDad »

An alternative to the plumber's compound is the use of a styrofoam material. I made my backstop from a piece called arrow target foam. It is very dense and the pellets from my LP10 rarely get more than a 1/2" into the 2" thick slab I used. To clean it, I take it out of the holder, bend it slightly and the pellets fall out. Additionally, I will be able to turn it around and use the other side when I feel the current front has worn out.
TomN

Post by TomN »

As others have pointed out, elemental lead from spent pellets is unlikely to cause any problems if one practices good hygiene.

The primary exposure in firearms ranges is from airborne lead from the priming compound. Other sources include the round exiting the firearm (and revolver cylinder) and from bullet fragmentation on a steel backstop. None of these apply to air rifles or pistols.

Always wash your hands after handling lead. Dispose of spent pellets responsibly.
Rover

Post by Rover »

You guys make too much work.

Just shoot into a box of rags. When you've shot a case of pellets (50,000) throw the box in the trash and make a new one.
joker

Post by joker »

Rover wrote:You guys make too much work.

Just shoot into a box of rags. When you've shot a case of pellets (50,000) throw the box in the trash and make a new one.
Not so - my pellet trap/target holder with putty infill is only 5 cm deep and easily absorbs pellets from a Steyr LP2 at 520 fps muzzle emergence - I am sure your box of rags is much deeper than this and therefore less amenable to the OPs question of in home shooting practice.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Free.

No lead dust.

One foot deep, max.

Even a moron can make one.
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

Rover

Post by Rover »

Good read.

Boiled down to 25 words or less:

Shoot into rag box then wash your hands.
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

Archer Air Guns make a silent pellet trap for home use. They say there is no lead dust or fragments that can escape. They use some sort of plumbers putty inside. You can buy this ready made or I believe the plans to make it yourself are on the web. Ready made its not cheep.

Google Archer Air Guns

JSB
thruxtoncamshaft

air pellets at home

Post by thruxtoncamshaft »

IT IS DEFINATLY NOT ok to shoot lead pellets at home from your air pistol--------------------------------------------if you live in Australia!!! Thruxton.
Bill32

Post by Bill32 »

If you are free to fire an air rifle outdoors, say plinking targets in your rural backyard, then what is the difference if you use an air pistol instead? And then the same thing inside. Apart from Class A/Class H licensing requirements.

What is the offense you are committing if you fire your AP indoors in your makeshift range? Outdoors I know you should have permission from neighbours within a certain distance, but inside your house?

It is technically illegal to own an air pistol in NYC. However, target shooters still carry on, technically outside the absurd laws.
biggles1024

Post by biggles1024 »

Bill32 wrote:If you are free to fire an air rifle outdoors, say plinking targets in your rural backyard, then what is the difference if you use an air pistol instead? And then the same thing inside. Apart from Class A/Class H licensing requirements..
In Victoria at least, it is an offence to discharge a hand gun anywhere except on a range that has been approved for the use of target pistol shooting by the Chief Commissioner of Police. Its in the Victorian Firearms Act.
Bill32 wrote:What is the offense you are committing if you fire your AP indoors in your makeshift range? Outdoors I know you should have permission from neighbours within a certain distance, but inside your house?
See above. Note also that hand guns may only be used for the purpose of target shooting on an approved range. Hunting with them is illegal.
Bill32 wrote: It is technically illegal to own an air pistol in NYC. However, target shooters still carry on, technically outside the absurd laws.
The penalties for violating our Firearms Act, at least for target shooters, would make your head spin.

Cheers,

b.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Are all air pistols considered handguns in Australia? Is there a velocity or energy level that makes an air pistol a firearm?
Rover

Post by Rover »

For myself, I don't believe I would rush down to the local police station to throw myself down to grovel at their feet and gaze up at them with a tear-streaked face to beg for forgiveness.

Others may do as they please.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Richard H wrote:Are all air pistols considered handguns in Australia?...
Yes
Air Pistols and Air Rifles are included in the general category of 'firearms and dangerous weapons' - along with various other non-'firearms' items

Air Pistols require a category H licence and are restricted to target use, at approved ranges.
Richard H wrote:...Is there a velocity or energy level that makes an air pistol a firearm?
irrespective of velocity or energy level
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Spencer wrote:
Richard H wrote:Are all air pistols considered handguns in Australia?...
Yes
Air Pistols and Air Rifles are included in the general category of 'firearms and dangerous weapons' - along with various other non-'firearms' items

Air Pistols require a category H licence and are restricted to target use, at approved ranges.
Richard H wrote:...Is there a velocity or energy level that makes an air pistol a firearm?
irrespective of velocity or energy level
Wow I thought our greater than 500 fps to make an air pistol or rifle was unreasonable.

Thanks for the info.
Last edited by Richard H on Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill32

Post by Bill32 »

Rover wrote:For myself, I don't believe I would rush down to the local police station to throw myself down to grovel at their feet and gaze up at them with a tear-streaked face to beg for forgiveness.

Others may do as they please.
Indeed, unless one was overcome with guilt following the activity and confessed, it would seem impossible for police to know what you were doing in the privacy of your own home. In particular the shooting of an air pistol. It would be like being charged with sodomy for having relations with the wife. I guess it depends on your living arrangements, in an apartment the neighbours may hear the air release etc.

Some more absurdities:

"Supposedly Ben Ives, a law lecturer at Queensland University of Technology, has found these among Australia's most absurd laws: wearing slippers in public after sunset is illegal in Victoria; you may never eave your car keys in an unattended vehicle in NSW; it is illegal to walk on the right-hand side of a footpath n Queensland; only licensed electricians may change a light bulb in Victoria; taxi cabs are required to carry a bale of hay in the trunk in Queensland."

http://blogs.smh.com.au/sit/archives/20 ... ead_w.html
thruxtoncamshaft

At home

Post by thruxtoncamshaft »

BILL32. Are you saying it's OK to drive while being 4 times over the drink limit as long as you don't get caught......If you do get caught , expect heavy fines.. Meanwhile try to get the law changed . Don't ask me how but support those who are trying. Thruxton.