Show me your handstop!

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

tenring

Show me your handstop!

Post by tenring »

There are many out there and I would like some feedback as to what people like and why. I don't want to have to buy them all before I find one I like. I know it will be a personal preference, but that will be how people describe them. I didn't like the old style Anschutz stop too well so I bought the small Champions Choice with the quick release just to try. For 13$ what the heck! Better than what I had, but what might be Better?

Thanks
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

What's the matter with what you have that makes you think there may be something better (for you) ?

The handstop is merely a tool but it should complement your shooting and not be uncomfortable or painful. I prefer the smaller 'button type' ones as it's easier to get a solid, repeatable, and comfortable hand position.

Rob.
tenring

Post by tenring »

Just looking for feedback. I'm new to this type shooting. Didn't know if some were designed for certain area's of comfort. I feel the most discomfort from the sling hand and forearm and don't really know why. After about 5 shots its going numb. I feel a lot of pressure on my wrist. I wish I could describe it better. Doesn't feel bad on the elbow, just everything from the elbow up through the thumb. I sometimes feel a heavy pulse in my hand that is when it hurts the worst.

Thanks for anymore feedback you can provide.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

tenring wrote:Just looking for feedback. I'm new to this type shooting. Didn't know if some were designed for certain area's of comfort. I feel the most discomfort from the sling hand and forearm and don't really know why. After about 5 shots its going numb. I feel a lot of pressure on my wrist. I wish I could describe it better. Doesn't feel bad on the elbow, just everything from the elbow up through the thumb. I sometimes feel a heavy pulse in my hand that is when it hurts the worst.

Thanks for anymore feedback you can provide.
Unfortunately there could be many reasons for the pain felt, but it isn't good. Perhaps get someone to take some pictures of you in position and specifically at the sling arm. Wrist pain could suggest you don't have your wrist straight. I would suggest you also try a very small hand stop as it then easily sits in the 'V' of the thumb & first finger. The stock should then lay across the palm of your hand, typically resting up alongside the base of the thumb. You could also investigate a better / different shooting glove and check there are no 'diggy in bits' in the glove or jacket arm, that are digging in creating pressure points.

Rob.
tenring

Post by tenring »

Thanks Rob,

I'll do that
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/6505/Handstops

I will add that your pain could be caused by a too-short stock and compensating for it by overshortening the sling. So your hand bears the brunt of the tension but your shoulder contributes little to nothing.
M3taal

Post by M3taal »

Pain in the hand might also be caused by a bad glove. I recently switched from a cheap-ass Fritzmann glove to a more expensive Gehmann Half Cover glove. It was twice the money bet the pressure caused by the handstop was greatly reduced. The Fritzmann glove was fine at the time, but now I've got this new one I finally know what the feeling should be ;)
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

M3taal wrote:Pain in the hand might also be caused by a bad glove. I recently switched from a cheap-ass Fritzmann glove to a more expensive Gehmann Half Cover glove. It was twice the money bet the pressure caused by the handstop was greatly reduced. The Fritzmann glove was fine at the time, but now I've got this new one I finally know what the feeling should be ;)
Even when we buy expensive gloves we tend to hang onto them for too long. 5 years as a maximum would seem a reasonable guideline, less if you use it for standing.

Rutty
Hip's Ax

Post by Hip's Ax »

I really like the Anschutz 4751. I've been using them for 10 years now with no plans to change.
Attachments
4751.jpg
4751.jpg (8.93 KiB) Viewed 2120 times