coloured sight inserts

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

yana

coloured sight inserts

Post by yana »

About those coloured glass/plastic peep sight inserts..
Do these REALLY improve yr vision?
Are they worth considering?
If yes, what colour improves what? Cause there's a list of colours..
Raymac

Colored sight inserts

Post by Raymac »

As a manufacturer of plastic front sight elements we have experimented with colored inserts for many years. At one time there was a strong demand for pink inserts after a technical article by a Russian writer. We sold thousands of them as a result of that however the demand has reduced to almost nothing recently. We can find no evidence or technical reason why colored elements offer any advantage at all.....remember you look through the hole (not the plastic) and there is no color there. To have the background in color seems to make no sense. It is not difficult to color the inserts yourself using polyester fabric dye in hot water.
yana

Post by yana »

Thanks for that clear info!
Dioperfilters are more usefull? Cause you really look through them..
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

Coloured sight elements or coloured filters on your diopter sight all have a part to play. It will be up to you if you think they improve the sight picture. It realy is a personal choice which is why I won't recommend a colour.
One word of warning concerning diopter iris colour filters.
Firstly, they do cut down the amount of light reaching the aiming eye which is an important factor. Secondly, they do need to be cleaned now and again and on some of the built in iris filters may have to be sent back to the manufacturer for this. Other systems are easier to clean and can be done by the user, so choose carefully.

Check out the Gehmann web site where they suggest what colour suits the different disciplines.

JSB
robf

Post by robf »

the eyes see the biggest contrast between yellow and black, not white and black, so although yellow will cut down the light to the eye, it might offer a better contrast.

it's something to play with perhaps...
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

Robf

I have always found the light 'Rose/pink' front sight elements helped my sight picture in 10m air rifle, this doesn't mean to say it would suit everone.

As for a coloured filter in the back sight iris, your probably right. Although these will cut down the amount of light reaching the aiming eye, the trade off for better contrast could well be an advantage especially in the older shooters who's eye sight is not perfect.
I found that green gave a superb sight picture contrast, but again that's me, it may not suit everyone. Best advice is to carry out your own experiments with colour and see what suits you.
JSB
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

What's the cheap way to experiment with coloured front sight insert elements on a ANS M18 foresight(rather that buying them,I know a bit silly question but her goes nothing...)
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

Front sight inserts are pretty cheap and are available from Gehmann, Centra, Anschutz, Bedford Target Supplies and Alcraft, to name just a few.

JSB
robf

Post by robf »

JSBmatch wrote:Robf

I have always found the light 'Rose/pink' front sight elements helped my sight picture in 10m air rifle, this doesn't mean to say it would suit everone.

As for a coloured filter in the back sight iris, your probably right. Although these will cut down the amount of light reaching the aiming eye, the trade off for better contrast could well be an advantage especially in the older shooters who's eye sight is not perfect.
I found that green gave a superb sight picture contrast, but again that's me, it may not suit everyone. Best advice is to carry out your own experiments with colour and see what suits you.
JSB
Yep, sounds good to me.

For me i was trying to get more contrast, which yellow gives, but contrast and detail aren't the same things, so i can definitely see another colour could perhaps help with another aspect a shooter is looking for... mine is a coloured prescription eyepiece, but i did have a multi coloured filter that allowed me to play with it, and it was combined with a suggestion from a shooting optician.
Guest_66

Post by Guest_66 »

Remember that daylight (outdoor) vs fluorescent light (indoor) makes a difference in what color to use.

Speaking of rear sight filters...
The eye need some time to adjust itself to a new color/light, so don't experiment to much with the filters while shooting.

My personal default setting is no color at all. If I use filters, they are:

Indoor: If needed (bad contrast), blue filter.
Outdoors: yellow filter if it is very dark, or light grey if the target is very bright. Both used for better contrast.

I don't think it is a good idea to have just one colour in the front sight all the time if you are shooting outdoors. Let´s say you have a red plastic front sight, and during a competition the weather turns from very sunny to dark and rainy... Then you have a problem.

Bt then again, it is a very personal what you and our eyes like.