NEW SHOOTER NEEDS HELP.

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

trinitopgun

NEW SHOOTER NEEDS HELP.

Post by trinitopgun »

SHOOTERS I HAVE A PROBLEM
i am 47. i have been shooting air pistol for about 3years.
THE PROBLEM IS THAT I USE A SUB 6 HOLD LATELY THE WEAPON IS SETTLING WAY BELOW THE TARGET .I FIND THAT I HAVE TO FORCE TO BRING IT UP TO THE POINT OF AIM.MY ARM IS CONSTANTLY MOVING UP AND DOWN.UNABLE TO SETTLE.THE TRIGGER BEGINS TO FEEL VERY HEAVY AND I AM OUT OF BREATH.

WHAT CAN I DO TO STOP THIS UP AND DOWN MOVEMENT OF THE ARM .
WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT THE WEAPON DRIFTING SO LOW DOWN.
jackh

Post by jackh »

Stand taller. More air in your chest.
steyrlp10

Post by steyrlp10 »

Two things that have helped me:

1. Check if you have a proper grip each time
2. Don't over hold
3. Practice, practice, practice

Some days will be good and some days will be bad. In the end, you're going to try to minimize your boo-boos and bring it all together in one neat, little package.
Chris

Post by Chris »

you may want to try to strengethen your arm by doing several reps of holding a 2kg weight the same way you hold you pistol. Try 3 sets of 10-12 reps 3 times a week. Each rep you should hold the weight up for 20-30 seconds.

also lots of shooting will also do the same thing over time.
Spencer

Re: NEW SHOOTER NEEDS HELP.

Post by Spencer »

trinitopgun wrote:SHOOTERS I HAVE A PROBLEM
i am 47. i have been shooting air pistol for about 3years.
THE PROBLEM IS THAT I USE A SUB 6 HOLD LATELY THE WEAPON IS SETTLING WAY BELOW THE TARGET .I FIND THAT I HAVE TO FORCE TO BRING IT UP TO THE POINT OF AIM.MY ARM IS CONSTANTLY MOVING UP AND DOWN.UNABLE TO SETTLE.THE TRIGGER BEGINS TO FEEL VERY HEAVY AND I AM OUT OF BREATH.

WHAT CAN I DO TO STOP THIS UP AND DOWN MOVEMENT OF THE ARM .
WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT THE WEAPON DRIFTING SO LOW DOWN.
1/ as steyrlp10 recommended, practice, practice, practice
2/ stop thinking of your air pistol as a weapon - rather, think of it as a precision instrument and treat it and it's application as such.
For 10M Air Pistol, your gun is for precision activities (with that mind-set and pulse rate), not for spray and pray (and THAT mind-set and pulse rate)...

oh, and
3/ Do not SHOUT!
PETE S

Post by PETE S »

Please describe your shoot process. How do you shoot a ten? From the time you raise the pistol off the bench, what do you try or plan to do?
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Assuming you're over raising and lowering into the aim, then slow the descent and stop it whilst still in the black. The arm will carry on lowering slightly and you should be able to find a point at which the stop corresponds to where it finally settles on aim. You will need to work on this in training as it can be a hard habit to break, but just keep training and concentrating on the lowering and then learn the optimum place for you to slow the descent.

Rob.