Newbie to pistol Silhouette

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

deer26pt

Newbie to pistol Silhouette

Post by deer26pt »

I'm currently using .177 8.3 grn pellets in the 470 FPS range. When shooting indoors would I be better off with a 7.0 grn pellet? If so why?
Finprof

Post by Finprof »

I shoot indoor silhouette with 8.3 gm Diabolo exact and shoot 10 meter with 7 gm Meisterkugeln. So do most of the people with whom I shoot. Don't ask me why - I just blindly follow. I know why I shoot 10 meter with Meisterkugeln because I showed up at a match once with Exacts. They leave small ragged holes in a paper target.

I also shoot outdoor silhouette with firearms where "ringing" rams is a problem, particularly in lever action and high power. I have even rung (rang?) pigs. It is not a problem with indoor silhouette and the Exacts. I don't know if there would be a problem with 7 gm Meisterkugeln because I never tried them.
Fred Mannis

Re: Newbie to pistol Silhouette

Post by Fred Mannis »

deer26pt wrote:I'm currently using .177 8.3 grn pellets in the 470 FPS range. When shooting indoors would I be better off with a 7.0 grn pellet? If so why?
I prefer shooting AP Silhouette with 7 gr pellets (Hobby, Meisterkugeln, R-10) because of the higher velocity and flatter trajectory. With my particular setup I have the same point of aim at 10 yd as I do at 18 yd. Velocity in my Hammerli Master is only ~ 430 f/s with these pellets, but I have had no problem knocking over the rams.
Dogchaser

Post by Dogchaser »

I've shot plenty of 40s (Creedmore) with RWS Basic.

I don't know what they weigh but they group as well as anything I have tried in my LP2.
Finprof

Re: Newbie to pistol Silhouette

Post by Finprof »

Fred Mannis wrote:[
I prefer shooting AP Silhouette with 7 gr pellets (Hobby, Meisterkugeln, R-10) because of the higher velocity and flatter trajectory.
I am going to try Meisterkugeln for AP Silhouette. I was worried about wind and ringing rams with the light pellet. It is definitely a problem at air rifle distances, but probably not a big deal at 18 yards with a pistol. I shoot an IZH 46M so the higher velocity gives me the same sight settings at 10 and 18 yards.
Finprof

Post by Finprof »

Now I now why I shoot Exacts: The following is a quote from the Airguns of Arizona March 2009 airgun blog on the IZH-46M:

quote:
His IZH-46M shoots JSB 8.4 grain exacts at 440-450 fps. He experimented with lighter JSB Express pellets, but found the heavier 8.4 grain pellets more stable for shooting groups at longer distances. Using this setup, Bowne has knocked down field targets with a 1.5 inch kill zone at 40 yards, which is impressive indeed. (This is not hearsay, either; I have personally seen him do it.)
unquote

The shooter mentioned is Larry Bowne. I was paired with him in my first field target match and saw him take targets with his IZZY that
I couldn't hit with my TX200. We were shooting from 10 yards to 48 yards with most of the shots around 20 yards. Beyond 10 meters the heavier pellets apparently group better and are definitely less affected by wind. Also, if you shoot pistol silhouette and pistol field target, you probably don't want to change sight settings. I shot silhouette with Larry last Sunday.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Yes, Larry is an excellent shot.

I find a good compromise with my IZH is 7.88 grain Beeman Tropy. Its round nose (should) provide better ballistics than wadcutters at longer ranges. I say should because I have never measured their velocity at long ranges. JSB Exact Express has a similar pellet at nominally the same weight, but I feel the Beeman is of a higher quality.