Which is better the LP10 or the FWB p44?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
kevinweiho

Which is better the LP10 or the FWB p44?

Post by kevinweiho »

I have heard people say that the LP10's absorber is better than the FWB P44.

I am a loyal fan and owner of Feinwerkbau pistols, but I don't understand why they are not winning medals anymore.

Is the Steyr's stabalization system and overall design better than the FWB's?

Kevin

Airgun Aficionado from Costa Rica, C.A.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I think the biggest reason there are few P44 is because of the P34 which was a dog. People went to Steyr or Morini. The P44 is nice but there isn't really anything that would make someone change back.
Toznerd

Post by Toznerd »

I agree 100% with Richard! The P34 and subsequent P40 were a bit of a disappointment in their overall execution, and it didn't help Feinwerkbau's image. I owned a P34 and had a real difficult time shooting it. I never managed to break 570 with my P-34, even though I break 570 now and again with my LP-10, CM162, SAM K-11, and even my lowly FWB M65! As for the P-44, it really is a different animal, and shoots, feels, and looks great. I would own one, if I could find a real bargain on one. If you look at ISSF TV, they do make it into the finals. In fact, recent 10M finals have shown a nice mix of Steyr, Morini, Walther, Pardini, Matchguns, and Feinwerkbau.

Toznerd
ruig

Post by ruig »

Toznerd wrote:I owned a P34 and had a real difficult time shooting it
Ekimov Leonid shoots with P34. Seems that he hasn't any difficulties.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

On the other hand, Nestruev stated in an interview that he could shoot 590 with any pistol, but it would take him only half as much training with the Steyr than with the P34 - must be a reason for that...

Post by Guest »

I never could figure out why I had such difficulties with the P-34. It still vexes me. It's like we were one of those married couples that fought and argued one day, and then were lost in love the next. And I wanted it to work, as I too am a big fan of Feinwerkbau. I still shoot the C-25 that I shot as a collegiate shooter, and have a 65 and 80 that both shoot great. Without a doubt, the P-34 is as capable as any top tier LP. It just never felt "right" for me. It's like comparing a Hammerli 150 and TOZ-35. They are both great, but one just seems easier to shoot, for most folks (myself included.)

I think Nestruev is expressing the same sentiment. The gun is good, but not good for him. It seems to work great for Ekimov!

Toznerd
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

On the other hand, Nestruev stated in an interview that he could shoot 590 with any pistol, but it would take him only half as much training with the Steyr than with the P34 - must be a reason for that...
There is...the Steyr is a better pistol......its that simple.
I've owned both, one is good, the other simply brilliant.
kevinweiho

LP 10 definately is better!

Post by kevinweiho »

Today, i picked up a friend's LP10 pistol, and it sure beats the FWB's in
construction and looks! No wonder it's taking virtually all the gold.

When I cocked the LP10's lever, it stopped at a certain point and I
had to cock it all the way for the trigger sear to set.

Is this normal?

Kevin

Airgun aficionado from Costa Rica, C.A.
Richard H

Re: LP 10 definately is better!

Post by Richard H »

kevinweiho wrote:Today, i picked up a friend's LP10 pistol, and it sure beats the FWB's in
construction and looks! No wonder it's taking virtually all the gold.

When I cocked the LP10's lever, it stopped at a certain point and I
had to cock it all the way for the trigger sear to set.

Is this normal?

Kevin

Airgun aficionado from Costa Rica, C.A.
You pull it back till it clicks.
lastman

Post by lastman »

I have never liked the FWB's and I can't see any reason why I'm going to start now.

The P44 is however a far superior pistol to its recent predecessors but I still don't think it is anywhere near as good as the LP10.

Maybe I am just biased though.

I have never come across a pistol that just wants to put shots in the middle of the card more than the LP10. It is stable, it works and I get so much feedback from it.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I shoot an LP10, I have shot a Morini, Walther 300XT and the FWB P44. The issue really comes form the fact that they cost the same or sometimes more and don't offer anything that the proven LP10 or Morini offer. So why buy a product that is just as good as the original (say the LP10) when you can just buy the original.

The P44 is a very nice pistol the trigger was very nice, I liked the grip (some have not), it's as capable as any but it's not better so....
kevinweiho

i will be getting my own LP10...

Post by kevinweiho »

Thanks guys, for all the feedback.

Nevertheless, i will still have respect for FWB, as this was
the brand that started the 'revolution' in precision airgun shooting.

Can't wait for my LP10 to arrive from Steyr Sportwaffen in Austria...

Kevin

Airgun aficionado from Costa Rica
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Agree they have made great products in the past and still do now, it will just take sometime to dig out of the hole they got themselves into in the pistol world.

The P700 is a very popular rifle on the WC scene so FWB is not suffering.
kbc

Prefer the FWB sights over the Steyr sights

Post by kbc »

I like the FWB air pistols' rear sights over the Steyr air pistols' rear sights. FWB sights seem to be more darker and its color is more resistant to wear. My Steyr pistols rear sights are more glarish and the dark color is starting to wear off, exposing the shinny metal.
madmull

Post by madmull »

lastman wrote:I have never liked the FWB's and I can't see any reason why I'm going to start now.

The P44 is however a far superior pistol to its recent predecessors but I still don't think it is anywhere near as good as the LP10.

Maybe I am just biased though.

I have never come across a pistol that just wants to put shots in the middle of the card more than the LP10. It is stable, it works and I get so much feedback from it.

I think the main reason for this is that fwb changed to deliver the p44 wit standard morini grips.

I recently got a lp10 and before that i tried several pistols.
The grip, the looks (no small barrel with a giant cylinder beneath it) and no electric triggermechanism did me decide to buy the lp10.

FWB ia german factory which produce supreme metal parts. the problem is when they put everything together they produce something that doesn't feel good is to difficult to manage and they know nothing about wooden parts.

just like the AW93, good gun but horrifying grips.

The austrian's did a better job and produced the lp10 and 50.
the e versions have to prove themselves
jipe

Post by jipe »

Richard H wrote:I shoot an LP10, I have shot a Morini, Walther 300XT and the FWB P44. The issue really comes form the fact that they cost the same or sometimes more and don't offer anything that the proven LP10 or Morini offer. So why buy a product that is just as good as the original (say the LP10) when you can just buy the original.
Indeed, the problem that face all the other brands is that the LP10 became a reference to which all other pistols are compared. With the time, after several trials, some other brands now managed to make pistols that are as good as the LP10 but no other could really be better.
Richard H wrote:The P44 is a very nice pistol the trigger was very nice, I liked the grip (some have not), it's as capable as any but it's not better so....
I also tried the P44 and it is indeed a very good pistol but its finish is fragile (blue color wear off fast near cocking lever) and it is (was ?) usually more expensive than the LP10.

I recently saw ithe price of the P44 decreasing, may be FWB understood that it was not possible to sell a pistol if it was much more expensive than the market reference and than most other models too.

The AW93 suffers from the same problem: it is more expensive than most other standard pistols.
nvalcik

RE: P-44 vs. LP10

Post by nvalcik »

I have owned nothing but FWB pistols for years and have always found the trigger and reliability to be superb. I might point out that at least with my C-25 mini it was originally a C-20 regular which I upgraded three times since it was a modular construction. Talk about a cost savings! I have a sneaky suspicion that I could probably upgrade it to a FWB P-30 if I had the parts.

In any case I recently tried out a number of air pistols and found that the FWB P-44 Jr. was the best for me of any that I tried, Morini, Steyr, Walter and Gehmann. Everybody keeps talking abut expense, but at that level of air pistol to me they are pretty close when considering how much you are spending at the minimum level.

Besides how many people hang on to their air pistols as long as possible now? I have had my FWB C-25 mini since 1990 and it still is capable of shooting 10's. I still have that pistol and have absolutely no plans to get rid of it.

I would have probably not gotten a FWB P-44 Jr. except that it is much lighter and uses Air instead of Co2. For me the trigger on the FWB's is what makes the gun for me along with the sights and balance.
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

Now, I have been quiet for a long time but I do have a LP10 AND a P44.
The best pistol? I do not know! But for ME, P44 do give better points.
I am not finished with my LP10 yet though, it is nice to shoot.
We can probably agree upon that P44 is the best air pistol ever from Feinwerkbau.
Shine

Post by Shine »

Hi it is with interest that I read your comments on pistols. It would seem that some of you gentlemen only have to point the LP10 in the general direction of the target and it rains tens. I have owned both the LP1 and the LP10. Both pistols had problems with inconsistency of the triggers. The LP1's trigger was changed by Steyr and it was necessary for me to adjust the sear on the LP10 in order to be able to make fine adjustments to the second stage of the trigger, so Steyr does not always come without some degree of problems. The only other issue I had was with my finger touching the trigger guard on both pistols.That said, the pistols shot well except that I got a slight bounce back from the trigger of the LP10 when releasing it and no matter how I tried to tune it out , it was always there.
I finally sold it and bought a P44. Beautiful pistol with a wonderful trigger
that works great. The finish on the FWB is not as good as the MORINI which I own as well. I have removed all the grey paint leaving only the aluminium finish and it looks better. To my mind it is a matter of choice and which pistol fits you better. Steyr grips always seem to fit better than almost all other pistols including Morini but with a bit of work it's fun to make your grip fit. I would like to own the LP10E. Because it better than Morini? No! because I am curious.
Shine

Post by Shine »

One other thing to all you FWB P44 owners. The Morini's barrel weight once filed flat on one side works fine. Just make sure that you don't cover the holes on barrel.