New Dress Code Interpretation

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

David Levene

New Dress Code Interpretation

Post by David Levene »

Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Damn that's why shootings dying out, bluejeans, and I thought it had something to do with the poor image of firearm arms.

I'm glad the ISSF is on it.
Anders Turebrand

Post by Anders Turebrand »

hmm...

"Prohibited clothing items for competitions and award ceremonies include blue jeans, jeans or similar trousers in non-sporting colors, camouflage clothing, sleeveless T-shirts, shorts that are too short, ragged cut-off shorts, all types of sandals, trousers with patches or holes as well as shirts or trousers with non-sporting or inappropriate messages (See Rule 6.10.1).
"

Someone with a penchant for uniformity has had a field day.

I have never shot in a track suit, they usually don't have belt loops and they usually have rubbish pockets (if they have pockets at all) so I don't know what to do with my free hand...

laugh or cry? At the people in charge...
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

From what I read, we can wear jeans but they must be in sporting colors.
I thought blue was a sporting color. What are "sporting colors, white?"

<!--[if !supportLists]-->7. <!--[endif]-->Prohibited clothing items for competitions and award ceremonies include blue jeans, jeans or similar trousers in non-sporting colors, camouflage clothing, sleeveless T-shirts, shorts that are too short, ragged cut-off shorts, all types of sandals, trousers with patches or holes as well as shirts or trousers with non-sporting or inappropriate messages (See Rule 6.10.1).
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

You would think that they would have better things to do with their time. I can see wanting to require nice clothes for the award ceremony, but while shooting?
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

HI

Well now there's more reasons I won't be shooting ISSF. It's not like they were missing me anyway, but I DO have a decently accurate .22. I've shot smallbore pistol in 4 basic clothing styles: BLUE JEAN shorts and a t-shirt, Khaki pants with a dark shirt, Olive drab pants with a Khaki shirt, and BDU pants and a t-shirt.

Like somebody else already said "sporting colors"? Does that mean we have to join a team, and buy matching outfits??

Track suits for Pistol? I'll try it sometime, but I think that putting the offhand in the pocket will pull the pants down a little. OR is pulling our pants down a little what they're after???

I was just out at the gun club North of Wichita wearing fleece lined jeans, a long sleeve t-shirt, and Camoflage Gore-Tex. Nag nag whine whine.

Mike
Wichita KS
jackh

Men's Warehouse

Post by jackh »

You will like the way you look. I guarantee it.

16 dollar wranglers and carhart tee's no good then? Bummer.

Although I never did like the "colorful" tights the ski bums and babes wear.
Dogchaser

Post by Dogchaser »

I'll start dressing like a pimp.

Looking like I may take NRA conventional more serious again.
zoned

Re: New Dress Code Interpretation

Post by zoned »

David Levene wrote:Issued today by the ISSF
It is a business and all about marketing. For sure, the non-shooting public's view of shooting as presented by news fear mongering and movie media is dismal.

"All sports are concerned with the image they present to the public and media. Olympic sports, in particular, are judged by whether their competitors look like athletes and their officials appear professional. Shooting’s ability to grow as a sport and its future status in the Olympic movement may be affected by how its athletes and officials appear to the public and media."

It could be worse, hopefully no jacket and tie.
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

I remember seeing pictures of people golfing in what sure looked like a suit and tie. Must have constricted the arm movement, but that was the "dress code."
j-team

Post by j-team »

This just about sums up the ISSF.

To use a famous quote from a former English Rugby captain: "run by a bunch of old farts"

I would like to know what they are going to do it you turn up to the poduim in "blue jeans" or (gasp!) "ragged shorts"? Will you be disqualified from the match?
zoned

Post by zoned »

j-team wrote:...To use a famous quote from a former English Rugby captain: "run by a bunch of old farts"...
Makes you wonder, though, what it would be like if run by a bunch of young farts. Every new generation has their own perspective, and it's usually naive until they have some time in grade.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

GaryN wrote:I remember seeing pictures of people golfing in what sure looked like a suit and tie. Must have constricted the arm movement, but that was the "dress code."
this was not uncommon at UIT pistol events
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Spencer wrote:
GaryN wrote:I remember seeing pictures of people golfing in what sure looked like a suit and tie. Must have constricted the arm movement, but that was the "dress code."
this was not uncommon at UIT pistol events
I spotted your use of "UIT" rather than "ISSF" Spencer. Surely it was earlier than that though, probably "ISU".
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

zoned wrote:
j-team wrote:...To use a famous quote from a former English Rugby captain: "run by a bunch of old farts"...
Makes you wonder, though, what it would be like if run by a bunch of young farts. Every new generation has their own perspective, and it's usually naive until they have some time in grade.
You are probably right. Perspective is often changed by exposure to different responsibilities. The big trick is in being able to balance the requirements of all sides.

Having said that, the publicity surrounding Will Carling's "old farts" comment is often credited with being responsible for (at least partially) updating the management of English rugby.
Marcus

Turn about is fair play???

Post by Marcus »

So... all you pistol shooters are up in arms about this and yet some of you are the same ones saying, or thinking, the rifle shooters should "man-up" and shoot without any special clothing. What do you think now?

No matter what the "rules" are there will be regulation. The impetus of this new set of interpretations were the finals for men's and women's pistol events at the 2008 Olympics. Almost half of the participants wore blue jeans. Again it is about image. It doesn't look "sporting" enough. The rules do address the what is to be worn at the award ceremony already. This is for the competion venue.

As far as the gerantocracy at the ISSF, well your federation put them there. They don't just show up and make these decisions. If you don't like it contact your federations. Give them your ideas.

Marcus
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

The publicity picture of the members of the Technical committee in the attachment to the start of the thread on "new rules" shows four members of the committee. Now that may be blue slacks that one of them is wearing but they do look a bit like blue jeans? and two people not wearing tie's. Tut, Tut, Tut!
Wonder which committee came up with this?
This is so silly it is beyond belief, will they inspect and disqualify people with dirty fingernails? or bad breath? Or perhaps being ugly!
Best regards
Robin

Re: Turn about is fair play???

Post by Guest »

Marcus wrote:So... all you pistol shooters are up in arms about this and yet some of you are the same ones saying, or thinking, the rifle shooters should "man-up" and shoot without any special clothing. What do you think now?
I think all ISSF shooters should have to follow the "pistol dress code" where no support whatsoever is given by the use of clothing equipment. That tells the real accuracy of the human apparatus. Perhaps some allowance for prone shooters should be made so they can all use an elbow-friendly mat.
Marcus wrote:No matter what the "rules" are there will be regulation. The impetus of this new set of interpretations were the finals for men's and women's pistol events at the 2008 Olympics. Almost half of the participants wore blue jeans. Again it is about image. It doesn't look "sporting" enough. The rules do address the what is to be worn at the award ceremony already. This is for the competion venue.
I've been raised in such a way where I cannot judge nothing by its looks so I cannot understand a dress code intended to make look ISSF competitions more sporty. If anything, resources should be provided teaching why ISSF competitions are a sport--for those willing to learn.
Marcus wrote:As far as the gerantocracy at the ISSF, well your federation put them there. They don't just show up and make these decisions. If you don't like it contact your federations. Give them your ideas.
Been there done that. Just a word of caution: shooters in some countries may want to keep their ideas anonymous so they don't see their federative licenses revoked.

Post by Guest »

RobinC wrote:The publicity picture of the members of the Technical committee in the attachment to the start of the thread on "new rules" shows four members of the committee. Now that may be blue slacks that one of them is wearing but they do look a bit like blue jeans? and two people not wearing tie's. Tut, Tut, Tut!
I just checked the welcome page of one of the official websites of a certain federation where there's a huge picture of a shooter wearing blue jeans.
RobinC wrote:This is so silly it is beyond belief, will they inspect and disqualify people with dirty fingernails? or bad breath? Or perhaps being ugly!
I'm a younger than average shooter. Will they give me extra points just so I keep going to the different matches? You know, just for the looks of the sport.
joker

Post by joker »

j-team wrote:This just about sums up the ISSF.

To use a famous quote from a former English Rugby captain: "run by a bunch of old farts"

I would like to know what they are going to do it you turn up to the poduim in "blue jeans" or (gasp!) "ragged shorts"? Will you be disqualified from the match?
Are the ISSF into Rugby now?