removing bolt knob

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

cscoot

removing bolt knob

Post by cscoot »

how do you remove the bolt knob on an Anschutz rifle (model 2013)
Denton

Re: removing bolt knob

Post by Denton »

cscoot wrote:how do you remove the bolt knob on an Anschutz rifle (model 2013)
OK, first off the knob has an internal bushing type thing (thats the best way I can explain,sorry)
The outside of this "bushing" is knurled so when its pressed into the knob it stays in place.
The inside of the "bushing" is threaded which is then glued to the end of the bolt.
Firstly I smashed the plastic knob to reveal the "bushing" I mentioned,sounds ridiculous I know...then used a small metal saw to split the "bushing" in two and at that point was able to snap it off..
I will say I was extremely nervous doing this as I had mental pictures of me destroying the bolt, it worked out fine in the end.
Best of luck.
D.

Post by Guest »

A less extreme mehtod is to disassemble the bolt, and to dunk the bolt handle (ball end down) into boiling water. The heat will loosen the ball. A pair of mole grips, and someone with big hands will do the rest. Obviously dry and oil the handle afterwards.

I found that when I replaced the ball on my 1613 a few years back I needed to wrap a little PTFE tape (used by plumbers) so the new ball would not unscrew as I loaded.

Tim S
Taunton
UK
Barney

Post by Barney »

An even easier method.

Firstly, get a bench vise and put a piece of thick leather either side of the jaws of it, and old shooting sling works well.

leave the bolt intact but de cocked.

Clamp the bolt knob as tight as pysically possiable in the vise (only the bolt knob), with the body of the bolt sticking out above it.

Un screw the body of the bolt from the knob, maybe a bit tight due to the locktite but it will unscrew.

End result, bolt knob is off so you can put your new one on and best of all the old one is undamage and can be put back on at any time if you sell the rifle etc.

To stop the new one comming loose, just put a drop of low torque loctite on the thread or even just a dab of finger nail polish will do the job.

It is totally unnessisary to cut or bash the knob off, why do you think they threaded it in the first place !!!!

Barney
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

I have tried to replace about 8 knobs. I was able to take off 3 without damage, the rest got scratched up, or cracked. They are really glued on, but you can get them off, one way or another.....
AndyT

Bolt knob removal Ansculz

Post by AndyT »

I tried the leather and vise and even plumbers slip joint vice grips but could not budge the factory plastic bolt knob. I tried the boiling water and then the hair dryer until the knob was too hot to hold. Still no budge. Then get my small gas blowlamp and carefully heated up the steel shaft just below the knob until it "fizzed" when touched with a wet finger. Then the locktite started to give and the knob unscrewed as if it was stuck with treacle. As it cooled it stuck again so another application of heat and the job done. Dont get it too hot - maybe a hot air paint stripper would have been a safer replacement for the mini blowlamp. Just hot enough to fizz when you spit on it - like people used to do to check the heat of an old smoothing iron heated by the fire.
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

I did it with really hot tap water and visegrips (locking pliers) by hand only. The knob didn't survive, but the new one screwed right on. This method is a little safer since you're not going to accidentally get scalded with boiling water or damage the bolt in a vise. Safety first!
GCSInc

CAUTION

Post by GCSInc »

I used simple plyers and held the bolt body in my had and broke the bolt handle off. Anschutz refused to cover it (I say there was a problem with the handle which contributed to the break) and I had to buy a complete new bolt...