Gehmann manual air pistol target changer question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
john bickar

Gehmann manual air pistol target changer question

Post by john bickar »

Our club just bought the Gehmann hand-crank air pistol carriers. They look like this:

The "arms" of the target holder are actually within the scoring rings.

Given that I have an uncanny ability to predict the future, I foresee someone hitting the metal holder with a pellet, leading me to ask several questions:

1) Will this break the holder?
2) If so, do they sell replacement parts?
3) How is the shot scored - as a range alibi?

Seems like poor design to me, but maybe I'm missing something.
Spencer

Re: Gehmann manual air pistol target changer question

Post by Spencer »

john bickar wrote:...Given that I have an uncanny ability to predict the future, I foresee someone hitting the metal holder with a pellet, leading me to ask several questions:

2) If so, do they sell replacement parts?
3) How is the shot scored - as a range alibi?

From memory, aren't those 'arms' adjustable outwards - a screw at the base of each arm to give a wider spacing as in http://www.gehmann.com/pages-en/detail. ... dline=Zoom?
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

The target carriers you linked to are the electric ones (which I'm more familiar with); the arms on the hand-crank ones are one solid piece :(
dflast

Post by dflast »

I have the very same carrier on my practice range, and one of these days (it's been years now) will get around to making a more suitable target frame for it. In the meantime I simply insert targets only as far as the 1-ring. This seems to hold them perfectly securely. So far I haven't managed to challenge the integrity of the frame.

David
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

Duh. Sometimes the most obvious solutions are the easiest to overlook.

(As a shooter, I'm most in favor of the "keep my shots in the black so as not to worry about it" solution, but as a range official I have different obligations.)

Thanks for the heads-up.
j-team

Post by j-team »

Just slightly off the subject here, has anyone had a close look at the target in that pic?

The black appears to go out to the 6 ring?
LeLongCarabine

Post by LeLongCarabine »

j-team wrote:Just slightly off the subject here, has anyone had a close look at the target in that pic?

The black appears to go out to the 6 ring?
your right it does but the target may not be an nsra 10mtr pistol target it looks a different format anyone else agree
Will
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

LeLongCarabine wrote:[your right it does but the target may not be an nsra 10mtr pistol target it looks a different format anyone else agree
Will
For those not in the UK, Will means the ISSF 10m Air Pistol target.
LeLongCarabine

Post by LeLongCarabine »

David Levene wrote:
LeLongCarabine wrote:[your right it does but the target may not be an nsra 10mtr pistol target it looks a different format anyone else agree
Will
For those not in the UK, Will means the ISSF 10m Air Pistol target.

Sorry i keep forgetting about the issf for over the pond :-)
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

john bickar wrote:The "arms" of the target holder are actually within the scoring rings.
Given that I have an uncanny ability to predict the future, I foresee someone hitting the metal holder with a pellet,
Sure.
No.
You are.
That is how holders for conventional (= non-electronic) targets look, hand cranked or electric. There is always some metal within the scoring rings. So what?

Alexander
Last edited by Alexander on Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

j-team wrote:Just slightly off the subject here, has anyone had a close look at the target in that pic? The black appears to go out to the 6 ring?
It really looks like it only goes out to the 7-ring to me. There are three white scoring ring numbers visible, those would be 9, 8, 7 (as I see it).
Alexander wrote:
john bickar wrote:1) Will this break the holder?
No.
Thanks for that info.
Alexander wrote:That is how holders for conventional (= non-electronic) targets look, hand cranked or electric. There is always some metal within the scoring rings.
Within the 1-ring, maybe. Take a look at the target carriers in the link that Spencer posted, they're only on the edges, not the 4/5 ring. And that's how they are in most every AP range on which I've had the pleasure to shoot.
Alexander wrote:So what?
Come now, is that type of attitude really necessary?
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

john bickar wrote:
Alexander wrote:So what?
Come now, is that type of attitude really necessary?
I have properly edited my posting above, because I accidentally did not quote the specific line of yours to which I was responding. Done now.

And my answer: yes, this type of attitude IS REALLY NECESSARY with people like you. It gets the message across.

A.
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

So if a competitor hits the arm (within the scoring rings) with a shot during a match, would it be re-fired as a range alibi?