LP 10 air cyclinder repairs?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
John Ariani

LP 10 air cyclinder repairs?

Post by John Ariani »

Can you tell me whther the air cyclinders for the LP 10 can be
serviced or repaired?
I have three of them at the club that refuse to take air.
I guessing it's some sort of seal problem but have read enough to know not to play with these things.
New cyclinders are quite expensive, so can they be serviced/repaired?
The three have become faulty because - I think - they have been filled over and over by shooters who have filled them too fast. Like 100 bar to 200 bar in 3 seconds. Does that sound plausable?

Post by Guest »

How old are the cylinders? There should be a date stamped on each of them (a month then year).

Also, how much has the gun been oiled?

Be careful though because it is very possible to overoil and to put oil in the wrong spot if you have never done it before so it would be best to read the operating manual that came with the guns.
John Ariani

Post by John Ariani »

Not that old. 8/2006 all three.
Oil the gun? (I've slightly greased the o rings)
Put oil in the wrong spot?
Now I'm really confused.
Never heard of oiling a LP 10 and can't find a word about it
in the manual - in fact my manual states on page 38 "no oiling required".
Am I missing something here?
I suppose what I should ask is how many Steyr Lp 10 (LP 1, 2) users have ever had trouble with their cyclinders. I suspect very few and to have three faulty at one club must mean someone must be doing something wrong. Right?
pbrejsa

Post by pbrejsa »

John:

1) order new sets of cylider sealing
2) a clever gunsmith or self-made (in house)
3) by my opinion probably most of your problems comes from inpurities from your air filling source

I'm using 6 cylinders without any problem, two the oldest are 01/2004. Before a start of using of them i put on the cylinder thread a modicum of graphite. For example the solution of very fine graphite powder (GLEITMO 961 Spray). It's very good prevention of galling.[/b]
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I never touch my cylinders or guns although the guns get serviced every 3 or 4 years. My cylinders are in one case 8 years old, pre pressure gauge.

If they really won't accept air then I'd suggest something was badly wrong inside - and to have 3 means you are doing something seriously wrong.

How are they filled - i.e. scuba tank air, compressor or pump ? Is the air clean, oily or wet (as with pumps especially if not bled).

Whatever, I'd get them looked at by someone who knows what they're doing - if nothing else to try and stop the same thing happening again.

Rob.
John Ariani

Post by John Ariani »

Thanks for this feedback. Quality of air could be a good point. Using a rika electric compressor (4 years old) which has never been serviced and in humid conditions. (club is in Brunei)
We have also used scuba tanks but have no idea on the quality of air that is used to fill them.
Looks like I need to get them to a country that has a Steyr distributor/repairer.
Thanks again.
jimsoars

Post by jimsoars »

I had a leaky cylinder and our host here at Pilkguns did a fine and reasonably priced job to fix it.
Jim
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

I can't imagine what could be causing the cylinder not to fill. Maybe you have got some trash in them that has jammed the valve.
luftskytter-

Post by luftskytter- »

Just some basic checking out questions:

Did these work OK before with the same filling equipment?
Do you have other supposedly identical LP10 cyilnders that work OK and with which you are familiar? No visible difference?
Refusing to take air = not letting air into the cylinder?
(I.e. excluding leaks etc., this would indicate a stuck valve or faulty or incompatible filling adaper failing to open valve).
BobRI

Long shot, no pun intended : )

Post by BobRI »

I'm a newbie on these cyclinders, but just thinking if the valve is somehow jammed by some debris, maybe using the air release tool on them would help dislodge the debris. Wouldn't hurt to try, I would think.

I have seen warnings against too-fast filling due to potential heat damage to the seals and I suppose 1k psi in 2 to 3 seconds is pretty fast.

Hope it works out for you.
Quest1

Cylinder

Post by Quest1 »

You can send them to Scott and if it is a seal or valve problem they should be able to fix the cylinder.