Is it possible to dry fire in FWB 601

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

dsaptarshi

Is it possible to dry fire in FWB 601

Post by dsaptarshi »

Hi,

I am new to shooting, presently own a FWB 601, I am willing to know is it possible to dry fire FWB 601 , if yes how ? is there any special gear that is needed to attach in my rifle or is there any way/trick is there which I am not aware of .

Thanks for your help

Regards
Datta
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

Comparing the FWB 601 to all the latest compressed air rifles and the answer is no. You will have to cock the rifle in the usual way but don't load a pellet, thats the nearest you will get to a dry fire. I have never heard of any body modifying the mechanism so you can dry fire, i don't think its possible. FWB do not make any attachment so you can dry fire.

Having said all that, don't be put off by this as it is a great air rifle and too good to miss.
JSB

Post by Guest »

You will have to cock the rifle in the usual way but don't load a pellet, thats the nearest you will get to a dry fire. I have never heard of any body modifying the mechanism so you can dry fire, i don't think its possible. FWB do not make any attachment so you can dry fire.
Thanks JSB, but that leads to ask me another stupid question, I know dry firing in Springer’s is not possible due to the risk of damaging the compression chamber and piston will directly slam on the wall , does the same applied to SSP, Pre Charged Pneumatics are using valve mechanisms so it won’t hurt them anyway but what about SSP's are they using valve too, to release air from compression tube? Or the piston actually hit compression chamber wall when I pull the trigger (Coz though, very negligible but I noticed very minute amount of recoil upon firing), in that case not using the pellet will remove the cushioning effect and may damage the system.

And second thing if FWB 601 cannot be dry fired in is it possible to use this type of rifle with electronic shooting trainer like Rika or Scatt ?

Sorry for being stupid ..but I just need to get on idea of the basic concept.
[/quote]
bt88

Dry firing

Post by bt88 »

The mechanism on the 601 has a valve like a PCP would, so dry firing it isn't going to destroy the mechanism. It just has a striker that hits a poppet-type valve and empties the compression chamber.
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

bt88 has explained how the valve works on the 601 and it won't hurt to fire without a pellet.
There is no reason why you cannot use a Scatt system on the 601, either loaded with a pellet or not. You will however, get a different set of traces with and with out a pellet. There will be more rear ward inertia [Newtons third Law] with a pellet and this will show up on the trace.

Hey, your not stupid, your just learning like we all had to.

JSB
Tony C.

dry fire SSP 601

Post by Tony C. »

Technically, when air is discharged from from an airgun, under ISSF AP and AR rules, its count as a shot, with or without pellet. Have seen shooter forgot to load pellet after cocking thier rifle and scored as a miss. Not sure what the NRA rule is.

So if you are going to pratice "dry fire" without loading pellets, while it won't harm your 601, just remember to load during a match.

This may sound silly to you, but under match pressure, people do strange things, have also witness a AR shooter loaded 2 pellets during final!
dsaptarshi

Post by dsaptarshi »

Yes you are correct .. There is no reason why it cannot be used with scatt system, initially I had a wrong impression that scatt is getting feed by some mechanism associated with trigger pull (some sensor which mechanically works when system fires and sends a signal to scatt device) so the rifle actually have to fire .. later I came to know that it sense from the click sound of the trigger by a microphone and nothing to do with actual firing of the rifle.. and will work with even a dummy wood rifle having a trigger mechanism which produce enough sound to trigger the sesnor will be fine. Thanks for the feedback everyone but unfortunately I cannot afford a SCATT system now or niether in near future ..but just exploring the possibilities in case I won a lottery some day :)

Regards
Datta