Scatt is not always right.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
david alaways

Scatt is not always right.

Post by david alaways »

I now shoot live rounds (pellets) with my scatt. My sights r benched perfect, my scatt and pellets r usually in the same spot. BUT , like today I shot an 10.1 on scatt that turned into a 8 on paper. Bad pellet ? I would think so.That was the biggest difference yet I have noticed smaller differences but never 2 points.... DavidA.
2650 Plus

Scatt

Post by 2650 Plus »

For David, I avoid anything that tells me what I have done wrong and try to limit input, whether from a coach or my own thinking to only positive concepts and reinforcement of good behaviors as pertains to shooting. Would you care to comment ? Good Shooting Bill Horton
Haleva

F Coefficient

Post by Haleva »

Hi David,
Have you tunned the F Coefficient parameter ?
To get best results you need to calibirate the F Coefficient to fit your gun/ammo characteristics.
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

What is F-coefficient?
david alaways

not positive, do not read!

Post by david alaways »

Bill. I would say i dont train that way, If my follow thru sucks I let myself know. now its my trigger control I dont know what happened except lack of shooting. Maybe I will try to focus on the positive for awhile ....................DONE ! ran out of positive. My plan is to go back to bulleye for awhile., skip 3xs air, and try to give up on trying. if u get my drift. One or two really good training sessions can change my mind and attitude but maybe all the negitive input is stopping that from happening. The key to it all is Like Happy Gilmore would say" find your happy place,go to your happy place and shoot" Well Bill , as for positive training I guess my post speaks for its self........good shooting and everyone stay positive!!! cause right now im a grouch........David
david alaways

Getting better

Post by david alaways »

Its my scatt not me, working on getting it figured out. Im just glad I started shooting pellets and compared my targets. Continually changes in where my shots r going, usually for the worse.
dflast

Post by dflast »

melchloboo,

If you take a close look at Scatt aiming traces, you'll see that the center of the virtual shot hole is often not exactly at the trigger release point. A closer look will show that Scatt has shifted POI in the direction the trace was moving at the time: the faster the movement, the bigger the shift.

This is Scatt's software making its educated guess about where the shot would actually go. If you think about it, in the real world a big flick at hammer-fall would pitch a shot quite a ways, and Scatt mimics that.

"f-coefficient" in the shot parameter menu at the top of the screen is an adjustment for how much - if you set it at zero, POI always = POA, with a big number the shift can get pretty dramatic. Generally, the longer your barrel, the bigger "f" should be. With my Steyr AP I get the closest match between live fire and my Scatt USB targets with "f" set at 7. YMMV

-David
david alaways

scatt

Post by david alaways »

dfast pegged it!!!!!!!!!!!! I changed to 8 from 15. Shot a 97 on paper and a 97 on scatt almost perfect, I then shot 10 more with a 98 on paper and a 98 on scatt. I was losing 3 to 4 points per 10 shots. Can u see why i was getting grouchy? Thank God pilks sent me some pellets. and PEOPLE LIKE DFAST R ON TARGETTALK AND THEY KNOW WHAT THEY R TALKING ABOUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks no need to call... David
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

Is the f-coefficient arrived at through trial and error, or is it known for some guns?

I plan to use scatt for air pistol and rifle, which I can compare to live shots...but I also plan to use it for service rifle (.223) dryfire. Aside from barrel length, doesn't the fps of the shot in the barrel matter, or is that a separate parameter in the scatt system?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

melchloboo wrote:Is the f-coefficient arrived at through trial and error, or is it known for some guns?
Trial and error
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

So in the case of using a gun that you aren't going to fire at the target, what do people usually do? Just compare your typical group size at the range to see if the system is in the ballpark?

Also, would having it set more sensitive, as in the OP's case, be a way to develop better follow through? Or would the information be misleading?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

There is always the possibility (probability) of getting strange results, no matter what the f-coefficient is set at, if using the system at anything other than the correct distance for the event.

Electronic trainers only know that the gun is aiming at a certain point. When that point is not in the centre of the target they do not know whether the offset is caused by a parallel error, an angular error or a combination of the two. Scatt, and I believe the others, treat all errors as if they are angular and therefore multiply the offset accordingly. If the error is caused by a parallel error then the offset would be the same no matter what the distance (obviously ignoring bullet drop).

This is more of a problem with standing events where body sway will often cause side-to-side parallel errors.
melchloboo

Post by melchloboo »

I understand. Two people might have the same off POI for completely different reasons.