New Rapid Fire Pistol - what to choose?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
A74BEDLM

New Rapid Fire Pistol - what to choose?

Post by A74BEDLM »

I am thinking of buying a pistol specifically for the Rapid Fire competitions.

I know you can use any standard pistol, in fact I currently use a Matchguns MG2 Mechanical Trigger with the Rapid Fire Slide kit fitted for Standard at the moment, but I want to have a dedicated pistol.

Does anyone have any recommendations (and reasons why recommended) - I have read about many of the contenders - Walther GSP and SSP, Pardini SP, Hammerli SP20 RRS, Morini CM22 and the AW93. I may also consider the Matchguns MG2E Rapid.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Regarding shot recovery, you probably won't find anything better than the MG2 you already have. The MG2E seems to have an advantage for dry firing, but all the 2E's I know tend to "double" during dry fire (not so when shooting live rounds) which isn't really what is wanted. If there is anything I've seen that may come near the MG2, it's the Pardini with the RF kit, but that's too nose-heavy for my taste.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Tycho wrote:Regarding shot recovery, you probably won't find anything better than the MG2 you already have. The MG2E seems to have an advantage for dry firing, but all the 2E's I know tend to "double" during dry fire (not so when shooting live rounds) which isn't really what is wanted. If there is anything I've seen that may come near the MG2, it's the Pardini with the RF kit, but that's too nose-heavy for my taste.
The weight distribution of the pardini can be changed by either changing the barrel weights or removing them completely. You should therefore be able to 'tune' the balance characteristics to suit your preferences.

I have the 'standard' pardini electronic and the balance (for me) feels fine out of the box - Note that model uses the lighter barrel weights.

Rob.
jipe

Post by jipe »

I have the same impression as Tycho: Pardini is very good but quite nose heavy, even the for the standard SP new.

You should also try the Morini CM22M RF.
A74BEDLM

Post by A74BEDLM »

Does anyone here own a MG2E Rapid or a CM22RF or tried one?
Do you have any ammunition problems or will they shoot anything?
jipe

Post by jipe »

A74BEDLM wrote:Does anyone here own a MG2E Rapid or a CM22RF or tried one?
Do you have any ammunition problems or will they shoot anything?
I have now two CM22M RF. I do not know if it shoot anything but I have used several ammunition withhout problem: CCI standard, Eley target pistol, SK standard+, SK pistol match, RWS pistol match (ranked from the strongest to the weakest)
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

The MG2E is mechanically the same as the MG2, so it will (at least my one does) shoot almost anything. I'm even shooting CCI Standard, which is a bit larger than most European match grade ammo, and blocks most Pardinis, without any problems in the MG2. The balance of the MG2E may even be a bit better than the MG2(M), with more weight around the middle, but I (personal taste) don't like the e-trigger all that much, it's lacking the crispness of a well adjusted mechanical trigger. No reliability problems, though.
Razorback

Post by Razorback »

Interesting that you find the standard Pardini SP to noseheavy for RF.
A picture of Ralf Schumanns Pardini in .22lr
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Razorback wrote:A picture of Ralf Schumanns Pardini in .22lr
As I understand it, that is mainly a housing for a recoil damper, although it will obviously also add some weight to the pistol.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

I find the standard Pardini too noseheavy for me - YMMV. Obviously, Ralf's does. Have you seen him "live"? Perhaps I'd have a different perspective if I spent the same amount of weight training on my shoulder and arm muscles...
jipe

Post by jipe »

Tycho wrote:The MG2E is mechanically the same as the MG2, so it will (at least my one does) shoot almost anything. I'm even shooting CCI Standard, which is a bit larger than most European match grade ammo, and blocks most Pardinis, without any problems in the MG2.
It is the same with the CM22M RF: the CCI standard being larger need quite some pressure to enter the chamber but they work fine, no problems at all. The reason might be that they are also more powerful than the SK, Eley and RWS I have used.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Tycho

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:57 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding shot recovery, you probably won't find anything better than the MG2 you already have

I would definately agree with this statement, and would find it hard to imagine anyone that has used one of these pistols in Rapid Fire not coming to the same conclusion