Paid coaching

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

MontereyJack

Paid coaching

Post by MontereyJack »

I'm starting out in air rifle and would like to get some coaching. My first questions is are there people that do coaching for pay? the second question is what is the going rate. I come from a Shotgun background and paid coaching is a way some of the guys make a living and can charge upwords of $120 an hour for one of the top guys I was paying $ 75 per hour. This saved me in the long run instead of tring to figure it out myself. I would like to get off on the right foot. Or is rifle shooting you have to pay your dues and burn lets of lead
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

I've considered giving private lessons, but always found myself wondering it it would be worth it to my student. I coach tennis as well, and can see the value of a private lesson through that. But I've always felt rifle was different.

I feel like in an hour session, my student would be shooting for 50min, and I would talk for maybe 5, with 5min left for target changes. Sure, I could find a number of problems with my student's position, shot plan, or execution, and give him/her some pointers. But in shooting, I don't think it would be too beneficial to analyze every shot as they go down range for anyone past the beginner level.

Second, and more importantly, you can likely get most of the information and feedback you're looking for without paying a cent. Go to an air match in your area, see who the top shooters are, and ask them questions. 99.9% will freely answer. If you want someone to look at your position, ask around to see who knows their stuff, and talk to them. Most will at least be willing to do so after the match, if not during. You can also post here and we'll pitch in our two cents (pictures help when dealing with positional issues).

Good Luck!
Misny

Post by Misny »

The only coaches that I have heard about who are coaching for money are at the college level or in the military. There are a few who will travel around and do seminars for groups. Unlike shotgun competition, golf, tennis, etc., there is no big money in NRA or International type rifle and pistol shooting. That pretty much lends itself to volunteer coaching. One-on-one coaching is pretty hard to find and that is the most beneficial IMHO. I am a novice at air rifle, and I think I could benefit from a good coach. Position seems so important in this sport. A good coach could help me adjust my gun, find a good position, develop a good shot plan, and pick up on bad technique and help eliminate it before it gets ingrained. The few lucky shooters I have heard about who got good one-on-one coaching had a very high level of dedication and this kept the coach motivated to help the new shooter. It would be pretty discouraging for a volunteer coach to put out a lot of effort on a new shooter who didn't put in his/her homework. You will find like in some professional sports that top shooting sometimes runs in families. I'm sure that this has to do with having a "coach" built in to the family and passing it on to others who develop an interest. To sum it up, I guess my answer to your question is that no there are no coaches who are making a living at it for NRA or International rifle and/or pistol shooting.
MontereyJack

Post by MontereyJack »

Very well put Misny that is the main reason to get proper training early to stop developing bad technique. I have the drive or willing to put in the homework as you stated. I did it in shotguns (skeet) I am onthe California all-star team and did the NRA program and made DE in shotgun. Now I want to do it in rifle. Being in Caliornia there are not a lot people that are not juniors shooting 10m air rifle. Soupy44 you could be more of a help then you think.
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

Sorry, maybe beneficial wasn't the right word. It's more that the student would feel they got their money's worth. I can talk for nearly the whole hour of a tennis lesson, and I have stood beside a junior shooter for a extended periods of time. Those where beneficial sessions. Maybe I'll try this with one of my juniors who goes to the range on their own time, see what we can accomplish in an hour.

If it works out, I'll let you know if I'm on the west coast anytime soon.