Drop-in barrels

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Lafe Kunkel

Drop-in barrels

Post by Lafe Kunkel »

Myself and another member on the WVU Rifle team are about to rebarrel our anschutz 20 series actions. This will be my third barrel in this action. I had a factory barrel to start out with that was terrible, and then I dropped a lilja drop-in into it, and the chamber blew out after about 25,000 rounds, and I was not too happy with the performance of that barrel at any point in its life. Just wondering what you guys thought would be the best replacement at this time, and if any other companies offer a drop-in option. I have heard a lot of bad things about the lilja drop in barrels from other people as well with chambers blowing out of them because they cut the extractor grooves too close to the chamber. I know that a lot of people are winning with lilja's, but I don't know how many barrels they go through to find a good one, and when they do find one, how long they shoot it. They are definetely the cheepest and easiest option, but I am willing to pay more for a better performing barrel.

Thanks a lot guys.
Anschutz

Post by Anschutz »

I am using a Maddco short barrel in a 20 series Anschutz. Can't fault it.

Post by Guest »

spend the extra money for a good gunsmith and go with a hart or kreiger
Anschutz

Post by Anschutz »

Don't know why you would need a gunsmith with the 20 series, they just clamp in the receiver.Just make sure the head space is correct.
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

Anschutz wrote:Don't know why you would need a gunsmith with the 20 series, they just clamp in the receiver.Just make sure the head space is correct.
They are referring to using a gunsmith to cut the chamber and extractor slots on a barrel blank.
guest2

Post by guest2 »

I was recommended to a Benchmark barrel, 2 groove, 16.5 twist.

I'm not quite sure if they are "drop in" or require some smithing. I was actually thinking of switching out my native short barrel in a 2013 action for one of these or a Lilja. After hearing about the issues Lilja has been having, perhaps the alternatives are worth investigating.

Does anyone have experience with Benchmark barrels and can comment on their craftsmanship, accuracy, ease of installation and if they are drop in?

Joe
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

I have replaced two drop in barrels in the last several months and both had poorly cut tenons and extractor cuts in them. All Anschutz 2013 receivers are not the same for bore size and a good fit is important to how the barrel will shoot. One of the drop in barrels required 30 inch pounds of torque on the receiver screws just to start holding the barrel. These actions are sensitive to the barrel mounting torque.

I fit a Benchmark two groove 16.5 tight bore to a 2013 recently and it is shooting excellently. Very nice barrels.

You will be much farther ahead to have it fit properly. And get it indexed if you can.

Jeffrey
Lafe Kunkel

Post by Lafe Kunkel »

I have been hearing good things about the benchmarks, I wish they had a website, guess I will give them a call. Thanks a lot guys
Barney

Post by Barney »

The Lilja barrels cant be too bad if Bleiker use them as standard equipment on there smallbore challenger actions.

Look at all the world cups and other international comps and see how many of the top shooters are using them now.

Having said that I do realalize the bleiker doesn't use standard drop in barrels.

I agree with the last post by Jeffrey, if the tenon, chamber or extractors slots are not right on any brand barrel its never going to shoot.

Mabey they are getting a bit slack on there quality control.

I know a friend of mine who order four lilja 4 groove tight bore in 16 twist ended up with 6 groove standard bore 16 twist but was stamped 4 groove on the barrels ???

It was discovered after slugging the barrels
Edenlights

ReBarrel

Post by Edenlights »

I could give you some second hand information, but you can ask the guys at this site, they are smithing, shooting, and testing for the kind of performance that you need.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/Smallbore