Point of Aim Drifting

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

JohnC

Point of Aim Drifting

Post by JohnC »

I posted this in Scatt in Shooters lounge, but I thought there might be some good advice here too. I've been using Scatt to practice hold steadiness. I've been 'aiming' at the target frame with no target, just to see what the gun does when I'm not adding input. I find that the point of aim - or, where the barrel points, drifts to the right about 4 or 5 bullet diameters during the 5 seconds prior to release. So far, so good - something to improve! However, it seems that what I try does not change this. I've moved on the mat, reducing my angle to the target, I've lengthened the butt, I've shortened the sling - all to no avail. Does anyone have any good ideas to reduce this drift? All suggestions gratefully received!!
John

Post by Guest »

Try to tuck your elbow under the rifle a bit more? Make sure the stock is by the meaty part of your thumb, not into the palm toward the fingers. Either one of these would move you to the right when you "relax" after the shot.
2650 Plus

Sights drifting

Post by 2650 Plus »

I am sorry that I have no good ideas about how to solve your problen. But I do have a question. Is it possible that you are relaxing during the five seconds you mentioned and are then arriving at your real natural point of aim ? The only sugestion I can feel confident in making is to build your position so as to point low and right and see if you still have the movement you describe and by adjustiing your initial position you may just arrive at the correct NPA after you have relaxed into your position. This is one wild guess. I just hope it helps. Good Shooting Bill Horton
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

John,
See my post in that other thread, I'll not repeat it here.

Rob.
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

Thanks for your replies here and in Scatt - I'll keep trying! I'll have another look at the light source idea, although I have had the rifle in a vice with no drift - but in different lighting conditions.
John
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

Thanks for the replies in his and scatt sections. I checked the light - not the cause of the drift. I then reduced the angle I face the target at from 15 degrees to 5 degress- i.e I tried to be more in line with a direct line to the target. This reduced the drift, most of the time, but caused the overall hold to be worse! I've now compromised at an angle to the target of 10 degs, and this seems OK.
metermatch

drifting

Post by metermatch »

The reason you are drifting is that you are using muscles to hold the rifle on aim. You do not have your natural point of aim! As you tire, you drift.

You need to line up on target, close eyes and relax for 5-10 seconds, open eyes, and see where you are. If you are not still on target, you do not have natural point of aim.

Also, you need to approach the natural point of aim the same way. You do some wiggling as you settle in to point of aim. If you wiggle differently each time (come in from the left or right, etc), you will put different tensions in your position, which will affect the way the gun recoils.

Left to right changes are made by moving forward elbow. Vertical changes are made by adjusting sling, buttplate position, and fine tining with breath.

I was once shooting a prone match at Prado. I had been up late the night before, and very tired. I lined up to take a shot, and the wind changed, so I held up. I then fell asleep, holding rifle, for about 15 minutes. When I woke up, I was still holding well into the black, probably 7-8 ring-ish. That is how solid and natural your position needs to be.

Jeff