Prone problems

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

WayneRTRT

Prone problems

Post by WayneRTRT »

I am having problems with my prone position i feel like im pushed to forward on the gun. (my eye is very close to the rear sight) My cheek is pressing into the comb pretty hard and its effecting my natural point of aim. I have a 1913 super match with a fully adjustable butt hook and an adjustable comb. Prone is just not comfortable and my scores have been suffering. Any suggestions?
Aaron M

Post by Aaron M »

I think the solution to your problem is to get the rifle out in front of yourself more. You can do this by moving the buttplate out more, thus putting the rifle in front of yourself more. You're also going to want to move your handstop out and tighten the sling as you do so. You should be able to take your right hand off the rifle (assuming you're right handed) and have your left arm and the sling support your rifle comfortably. Keep on mind I have been told I have freakishly long arms and that's why I have to do so. haha.
WayneRTRT

Post by WayneRTRT »

ive moved the butt plate out. im starting to think it has to do with the tourque on the butt plate. should i tourgue it into me or away? also im wondering if i move the butt plate up it will help.
Aaron M

Post by Aaron M »

In prone generally speaking the buttplate is straight as far as it will go, maybe an inch or so down. It's really all about experimenting. Most people with a cant keep it pushed out to the right slightly to bring the rifle in closer. I know one guy in particulas who has it canted as far as it well go. What type of jacket/sling/rifle are you using and do you have an extension tube or tuner?
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

Have someone take some photos of your position from several angles and post them. It is much easier to make recommendations with the photos rather then guessing. If you can't post them, if you email them to me via the site I can give some recommendations.
Mark Skeels

Prone Problems

Post by Mark Skeels »

I have not trained for many years, but here is what I would do. First, remove your rear sight, then I would probably move your sling to the rear a couple inches, then adjust your butt plate until it feel's comfortable. Third then, slide your rear sight forward or back, until it gives you proper eye releif/sight picture so you don't have to cock your head back to see thru it properly.

Although a person can conform/contort their body to just about any gun for any position, it is best to fit the gun to the position, thus you will slide the rear sight to a different position for each position (prone,sitting,kneeling,standing) as well as a different sling stop position for each position (prone, sitting, kneeling)

I always get the sling and position set up before I put on the rear sight and get it adjusted. You may be trying to use your rear sight in the far rearward position being used for offhand, when in the prone position, which will make you have to cock your head/neck back.

Hope that makes sense.

Mark Skeels