Batch Testing Then Adding Extension Tube

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Denton

Batch Testing Then Adding Extension Tube

Post by Denton »

Hi There,

I've identified a batch of ammunition that my rifle really likes, the thing is I'm thinking about getting an extension tube, the tube will be clamped onto the barrel,I'm thinking of the "MEC Strike", my question is will this change affect how the selected ammunition runs thru the barrel? Anyone got any experience of this?

Denton.
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

My mom discovered that her bloop tube worked like a tuner for her rifle. She took it off to shoot scope and later discovered her gun shot better with it on.

Is it possible that adding a bloop tube will make the ammo shoot worse, yes, just like it might make it shoot better. The chances of this making you current ammo unusable are roughly nil. After I find a good batch of ammo, I buy a bunch and then see what bedding screw torque works best. My last batch shot best at 31(in)(lbs). My current batch shoots best at 35.

The AMU talks about torquing the screws on their tubes (starting with your bedding screw torque setting). I don't remember them mentioning using this for tuning. I think it was just as a control.
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Yes, Denton, it will alter the point of impact. Not by altering the way the bullet runs through the barrel, but by altering the way the barrel vibrates. Many frustrating hours ahead, re-sorting the rifle and ammo out, I fear.
rbs

Bloop tube effect

Post by rbs »

FWIW, every rifle that I have or had shoots better with the bloop tube attached. I have never had one shoot worse. If you have found some ammo your rifle likes, it will most likely love it with a bloop tube installed.
Good shooting,
Rod
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Where can I find a picture of a bloop tube?
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

The above links point to barrel vibration tuners.

The term "bloop tube" is generally taken to mean a tube used to move the front sight forwards, in order to extend the sight radius. It is therefore irrelevant to bench-rest shooting. Its effect on barrel vibration is a by-product, not its primary purpose. Pictures available in the Anschutz and MEC catalogues available on the 'net.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Shooting Kiwi wrote:The above links point to barrel vibration tuners.

The term "bloop tube" is generally taken to mean a tube used to move the front sight forwards, in order to extend the sight radius. It is therefore irrelevant to bench-rest shooting. Its effect on barrel vibration is a by-product, not its primary purpose. Pictures available in the Anschutz and MEC catalogues available on the 'net.
OOPS!
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

I would like to wake up this topic because I have a question.
Sometimes,blooptubes act like tuners.
In order to test only the affects of the sight radious of a bloop tube,wouldn't it be better to try a Grunning/Elmiger(ex Ahg)shark extension sight(or would it be worst?)
(sorry about my greeklish!!!)
Thank you!
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

Anything you attach to a barrel will act as a tuner since it will alter its harmonic properties and thus act as a tuner.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

tsokasn wrote:I would like to wake up this topic because I have a question.
Sometimes,blooptubes act like tuners.
In order to test only the affects of the sight radious of a bloop tube,wouldn't it be better to try a Grunning/Elmiger(ex Ahg)shark extension sight(or would it be worst?)
(sorry about my greeklish!!!)
Thank you!
I think you're refering to the hammerhead design, in which case it may well be worse. That design is not symetrical and hence escaping gases will be subject to different forces depending on whether they hit the extension or not.

Rob.
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Soupy44
I got the point.

RobStubbs
Yes,that's the one,
I also had this thought(assymetric design and gases)
but since I saw two Greek shooters using it without complain,I sayed I propably think wrong.
I thinl I will borrow that extension to give it a try and then I will try to find a blooptube to try and compare.
Barney

Post by Barney »

I shot with an G & E Hammer Sharks sight extention for about 2yrs.

I was great in that it increased the sight radius the 6-8 inches needed but was a lot lighter than a Bloop Tube.

As fars as affecting the harmonics, I had a great batch of ammo matched to the barrel before using the hammer shark and it made no difference to the ammo after puting it on.

Post by Guest »

Most of the people that are looking to better their groups with a tuner are looking for no more than a mm reduction in group size. Sure, you can use a tuner to make a much bigger group size, but that's not really the point. A lot of people won't benefit much from a tuner.