7gr Shootout

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Rover

7gr Shootout

Post by Rover »

Here's the results of my "lite" pellet tests. Prepare to whine.

I used a Pardini K60 with Nygord Turbocomp in a heavy vise at a distance of 30 feet. I used Edelman targets because of the clean hole. I measured the groups with a dial caliper and a magnifying glass, measuring across the widest part of the group. If you want the traditional center-to-center measurement you'll have to subtract .177.

I didn't think the accuracy I achieved was particularly great, but it's in line with most other guns I've tested. Keep in mind these are 25 shot groups to avoid statistical flukes. I didn't chronograph these because I don't care enough to send the very best.

The listing is: smallest group at the top and descending in order of increasing size.

#1 JSB Green (Pistol)............................ .385 Nice round group, pellet weight 7.5gr
#2 RWS Basic....................................... .404 Last tin of older lot
#3 Meisterkugeln Heavy........................ .431 'Cause I had 'em
#4 RWS Hobby...................................... .435 Just bought a sleeve, good performance, 6.9gr pellet weight
#5 RWS R10 Light.................................. .503 1 pell opened from .440
#6 Meisterkugeln Light........................... .538 This & R10 egg-shaped vertical group
#7 RWS Basic........................................ .575 One shot opened group 1/10", this sleeve will go for practice

Because my CO2 was low I reshot #7 for a .527 and, again, one shot opened the group from a .410.

All but the very worst would cut the inner ring on the 10 every time and even most of those would, but none would guarantee a 10.9 out of my gun. I AM going to repeat this test soon with a Morini.

I'm sure some will disagree with my results (though they don't surprise me).

Don't tell ME about it......post your own damn tests!
william

Post by william »

Your group size results tally closely with my velocity results (with several pistols and at various temperatures), JSB's showing the smallest variations. There are some among us who will say that the samples are too small. Too bad!
Oz

Post by Oz »

VERY cool. If this was Facebook, I'd click 'like' and give this post a thumbs up.

And honestly, I'm not surprised. Marketing is what drives perception, then, perception becomes reality.

Oz
joe1347

Post by joe1347 »

Excellent work and analysis. Certainly provides an even greater appreciation why so many on this forum seem to favor the RWS Hobby - especially with the only slightly better (in terms of accuracy) JSB Green's selling for more than twice the price of the RWS Hobby pellets.

http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/JSB%20P ... 0Page.html

Time to cross off R10's when I reorder more pellets.

Of course, your analysis has one obvious deficiency - no H&N pellet results. :) Maybe someone in Arizona can loan you a few for your next round of tests.

Rover

Post by Rover »

7gr Shootout......

"Of course, your analysis has one obvious deficiency - no H&N pellet results." Joe1347

See the last sentence of my post!
Misny

Post by Misny »

Thanks for posting this. It took a lot of work and you were very kind to share your data. I know you can't test everything, but I was hoping you might test some Vogel pellets. Maybe you can try some in your Morini.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Thanks for the kind words, but it really was not that much work. I doubt if the entire thing took much more than an hour.

I have tested all four (?) JSB pellets sometime in the past and they were among the most accurate. I only have a few left from old lots that I'm saving for match use. Proably won't help, but can't hurt.

That's why I suggest doing your own testing. Frankly, any one of the pellets would be good enough for all but the best shooters.

But, as I have said, I like to play with this stuff.

I'll get around to doing some more testing soon.
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

So why 7gr pellets? I note that manufactures target 7gr at Pistols but I have only ever shot 8.0 and 8.2gr pellets with my Steyr LP10 (Meisterkugeln pellets - Pro Line - thats all the local gun shot has)

Are there any benefits for a 530 level shooter between the 'pistol' pellets and the 'heavy' ones that I am using?

Cheers

David
Oz

Post by Oz »

higginsdj wrote:So why 7gr pellets? I note that manufactures target 7gr at Pistols but I have only ever shot 8.0 and 8.2gr pellets with my Steyr LP10
Very interesting... I believe those heavier pellets are typically used for rifle. Is it possible that the local shop is heavily focused on rifle?

Shouldn't be any negative effect on the LP10. With the lower pressures the pistols use (compared to rifle), they will lob/arc more and fly a bit slower.

Oz
Rover

Post by Rover »

higginsdj,

The whole thing was set off by this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=22415

I kind of like the lighter pellets for the SSPs like the IZH46 and Pardini 58 just to pick up a little more velocity for cleaner target holes. I decided to play with just those to see what happened.

The Basic and the Hobby pellets are also relatively cheap.

The difference between the RWS Basic (7gr 540fps) and the RWS Meisterkugeln Rifle (8.2gr 495fps) was about 45 f.p.s. out of my Pardini K60.

As I keep saying, if you want to know, test them yourself.