shooting gloves

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

brandon maloy

shooting gloves

Post by brandon maloy »

I was looking at a new glove for air rifle because mine is getting alittle small and couldnt decide if I wanted a full finger glove or a cutoff finger glove. I dont know the difference between the two except that the full finger might make you hand sweat more. Can anyone tell me the differences to make my decision alittle easier?
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Hello brandon maloy!
I used to have a full finger for air standing but I cut the thump and point finger tips so I can catch the the pellet to load the rifle.(I load it with my supporting hand)
Furthermore,lots of times I found my hand swet(and smelling)
I guew my next glove will be a cuttoff finger.
But I don't know which one supports best...
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

One of the advantages of a fingerless glove is that if your fingers are long, they don't get jammed into the top and create discomfort.

As for temperature, that is a personal matter but if you shoot outside, you will be able to feel the wind on your fingertips.
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

Like benny said, I found I'm an awkward size. Medium fits the bulk of my hand well, but (especially shooting prone) presses down on the end of my fingertips, causing pain during longer (i.e. ISSF) matches.
A large on the other hand swamps my hand and will move round.

I also like the dexterity it allows with having your fingertips exposed. I too have a habit of loading with my supporting hand when in the standing position.

Hadn't really thought about the temperature issue. Obviously ISSF AR is indoors, but one memorable event springs to mind. Shooting .22 prone on the Isle of Man in March 2008, the wind was howling onto the firing point and caused quite considerable numbness and discomfort to my fingertips, which were:
a. Exposed
b. Already suffering reduced circulation due to the fact my palm was sandwiched/compressed between stock and sling. Getting through 60shots was a real struggle (actually, after 30 shots I couldn't physically shoot as I was shivering so bad, so I found a duvet they had in the store cupboard for some reason and shot from under that!
Bear in mind it was March, on an island in the middle of the Irish Sea. The ambient air temperature was only a few of degrees above freezing, and with a vicious windchill factor it was desperately cold when you weren't expecting or equipped for cold-weather shooting!