IZH 35 extractor photo/measurments

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Brian James

IZH 35 extractor photo/measurments

Post by Brian James »

A friend of mine has lost his extractor, and is hoping to make one using a milling machine. Can anyone provide me with a photo and/or measurements of the extractor?

Thanks

Brian
diopter

Post by diopter »

How about a spare one for him to copy.
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Brian,

If help is still needed, pm me with an email address and I'll do what I can.
Brian James

Post by Brian James »

Thank you to everyone for their help!! It appears as if I should be ok now as another forum member is mailing me an extractor.

You have to love the support we provide each other!

Brian
paulo

Post by paulo »

Looking for an extractor as well, mine broke last week, and EAA no longer has them.
Emailed Walther but I am guessing the answer will be the same.
If somebody could post the measurements for the extractor of the IZH 35M I would be much obliged.
If someone has one available as a sample in the area of Philadelphia I would be willing to drive to your location to get measurements from it.
If someone has one for sale I will buy it as well!
This is of great help http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0703/ ... 0089-1.jpg thanks.
JamesHx

Post by JamesHx »

Will try to do an engineering drawing and some detailed pics shortly - next 4 or 5 hours.
I have the parts and calipers, just need a free hour or two.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Pics for now

Thickness is ~2.75mm

Edit Added:

Due to the way the extractor sits in the slide one of the angled faces picks up the rim, so the angle is important.
Last edited by JamesH on Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Drawing.

Measurements could be a bit rough, if anyone has better metrology it can be updated.

If DXFs or parasolids are needed let me know.

See later in the thread for latest drawing.
Last edited by JamesH on Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
paulo

Post by paulo »

I have no words to express my gratitude for all the help.

Lets hope this one http://www.demyan.info/eng/sp-08.html gets here timely and priced right, shooting straight, and if it is not asking much with better metallurgy.

Which metal should be used to build an extractor?
I will be approaching a few manufacturers and see if I could have a bunch made, I will let you all interested know of the results here.

Post by Guest »

How do you put the exrtactor-plunger-spring back in?

(Also, how to you take it out?)
paulo

Post by paulo »

My guess is to use the extractor to recede the spring and plunger.
From this image, just picture pushing the extractor back against the plunger and spring, until the base of the extractor locks on the slider slot.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0703/ ... 0089-1.jpg
Since the spring is not a recoil type, and it works more as a lock for the punger, I didn't feel like it will go flying away if you are careful. As suggested I used a jewelers screw driver and it worked well for the removal of the broken extractor.
The PDF drawings are with a machinist, and he his getting back at me with a price, I hope by this week.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

OK, just bear in mind the drawings are the best I could do, they may not be 100% precise - and I've not given any thought to the tolerances needed.

I'll double check the radii with a gauge - once I can find it.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

paulo wrote:Which metal should be used to build an extractor?
I would think a mild steel would be OK. I can't imagine they used anything too exotic. If they can be case hardened a little, they would wear well without being brittle.

For best life, make sure there is at least a small smooth radius on the inside corners, or you will form stress concentrators that will cause premature failures. The photos show a nice radius in the front, the one in the back would be the likely trouble spot. If you've got a busted one, check where it let go & try to radius the appropriate corner.

The design looks vaguely like what is used on High Standards. The plunger applies pressure to move the extractor, and the two interlock to stay in place. If you depress the plunger with a small tool, the extractor should slide out. The trick is then slowly releasing pressure on the plunger so it & the spring don't head for a dark dusty corner of your shop. Working inside a large clear plastic bag isn't a bad idea. If you do lose it, I find that sweeping the floor around the estimated landing zone with a large magnet to be very helpful.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Its also pretty easy to break the plunger during assembly or dismantling.
paulo

Post by paulo »

I hope I don't brake the plunger puting it back together.
After enough wait from two machinists, I got going with building one myself, I will post some images for the ones confortable with a Dremel.
I crazy glued the broken extractor, traced it on a flat 3/4" flat stainless steel washer, and I will be roughing it tomorrow. Just tested the heavy duty cutter discs from Dremel and they work fine so it should be an easy job to do.
I talked with a person I consider very much, and he asked me if the gun needs an extractor at all, that the old guns didn't even use one, and for me to try to shoot it without the extractor, has anyone tried this, please let me know, it will save me the trip to the range.
Thanks.
Attachments
get going.JPG
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

paulo wrote:I talked with a person I consider very much, and he asked me if the gun needs an extractor at all, that the old guns didn't even use one, and for me to try to shoot it without the extractor
On most semi-automatic .22s the only thing that the extractor does is to act as a pivot, spinning the empty case clear of the gun when it hits the ejector.

It certainly does not pull the empty case from the chamber during normal firing.

The extractor moves backwards with the bolt/slide, but that only moves backwards when it is pushed by the fired case.

It is obviously different in single shot pistols or when manually extracting an unfired cartridge. There you actually need to pull the case backwards.
paulo

Post by paulo »

Tried to shoot without the extractor, and it didn't work reliably.
The good news is, I found a machinist to do it, and it looks like he can do about anything, he was testing hardness today, and said he would do a bar to spec asap, so he can then make more if needed.
He is building them based on the blue prints above, I should be getting one in a week or two.
I am not looking for 100% replica as long as it works.
If anybody needs an extractor for the IZH35M just PM me, and I will put you in contact with the person making them, but first I want to make sure it works, so sorry for the wait in case you are interested in getting one as well.
Thanks to all for the contributions.
julioalperi

No extractor

Post by julioalperi »

I have a standard pistol that has no extractor at all. It is a Olimpic ST2 designed and made in Spain in 1990 (mine). It hasn´t got an ejector neither in the frame nor in the left lip of the magazine. This pistol is tremendously reliable.
Julio Alperi
JamesH

Updated drawing

Post by JamesH »

Rev 2 - Angle of one of the faces corrected to 45 degrees - thats the additional view.
Some critical dims added, not too sure if they are exact or the tolerances needed.
Attachments
Izh35 Extractor-2.pdf
(27.2 KiB) Downloaded 647 times
paulo

Post by paulo »

Thank you very much, for the new blue prints.
Last edited by paulo on Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:07 am, edited 3 times in total.