Help! New Shooter

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

LCMSmedic

Help! New Shooter

Post by LCMSmedic »

I wanna get into shooting, but I have no experience with guns and am 13. Can anybody tell me what to do to get into the sport? I live in La Mirada, CA.
Last edited by LCMSmedic on Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
little_doodie

Post by little_doodie »

we would need to know aproximately your location.
town and state if in the USA.
there are many good junior programs near me.
WRC

Post by WRC »

With no experience with guns, I'd recommend the first thing you do is find an NRA Basic Rifle Course. It should give you classroom learning and some range time for familiarization. You'll also learn about clubs and programs in (hopefully) your area. There are also courses for Pistol, and Shotgun. You'll need to decide what events you'd like to try - all 3 guns (pistol, rifle, shotgun) have various events that are shot. Rifle has 3 position, or prone, or air rifle in standing only, etc.

The NRA website should have listings of courses, and clubs. One thing for LA, is do a search here on TargetTalk for "Chino", because I think there is still some airgun being shot at the Prado Tiro (1984 Olympic) range (at Prado Dam park south of Chino).
E.K.

not far from your home

Post by E.K. »

If you like shoot rifle try LARR (LA Rifle and Revolver)
located Pomona HWY (60HWY) ) and Rosemead and weekend
more than 30 kids practice there ask Ray (714-612-4585)
they have big match 4th July weeknd
or if you like start with air pistol
we are locate Rowland Heights 60Hwy and Nogales
and we just started air pistol(p.p.p) for Jr. (youth)
Senator Vitaman

Post by Senator Vitaman »

If you want to shoot you need to be safe, so always obey the 4 gun safety rules.

1: Always point the gun in a safe direction, even if it's unloaded. This means make sure it's pointed so if the gun were to suddenly go off, it wouldn't hurt anyone or cause significant property damage. (Remeber bullets can go through walls._

2: Always treat all guns as if they are loaded, even when they aren't.

3: Always keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot, which means your gun is pointing at your target and your sights (what you use to aim) are at least somewhat aligned.

4:Know your target and what's behind it
Thinkqob

Post by Thinkqob »

WOW you are in the right age, the best age start to lean shooting
http://archerfish.org/
jackthomas

need to know

Post by jackthomas »

HI me too want to learn dhoot... how is it possible i am 17 yrsi dont know where to start

data entry india
Steve N

Post by Steve N »

jackthomas, The first thing to do is to post where you live. Someone here on TT may be close by and able to help.
4-H Shooters

New Shooter

Post by 4-H Shooters »

The NRA is a very good place to get help, also if you can check withe your county extension office they can tell you if there are any 4-H clubs in your area that have shooting sports available.
Her in Missouri where I am at we offer many Shooting sports to our youth, we have youth participating in Archery, Air Rifle, Small Bore Rifle, Black Powder, Trap and Air Pistol, and next year will offer Small bore Pistol.
If you have any questions , I'll try to answer them the best I can.
Bob Mccollum
Shelbyfire13@yahoo.com