does your morini air pistol make power factor? mine does

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Muffo

does your morini air pistol make power factor? mine does

Post by Muffo »

Not really but today i decided to do some bench testing and discovered that my 162ei is very un accurate and is going out with r10s at 670 fps and with meisterkuglen rifle pellets at about 604 which was more accurate but still not good
David M

Air testing

Post by David M »

Someone has fiddled with that pistol, that is way to high.
I bet you don't get many shots to a tank. Usually ex factory should be 500-520 fps.
Testing in a machine rest with a chrono I found that the accuracy is nodal (possibly to do with barrel vibration). The best accuracy point was found to be 480 fps and then again at 560 fps.
The best group a single pellet hole (the worst about 2 pellet dia).
Above valid for a Morini short barrel and RWS match blue .449's.
David Levene

Re: Air testing

Post by David Levene »

David M wrote:Someone has fiddled with that pistol, that is way to high.
Oh I can't imagine that anyone would have altered anything on Muffo's pistol ;-)
Steve Swartz as Guest

Post by Steve Swartz as Guest »

Both of mine are regulated at around 480 and rest out at less than 0.1" over pellet diameter (10 shots).

I figure the guys at the factory set it properly before they shipped it . . .

Steve
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

I havent actually done anything to the mechanics of that AP but i will now. I didnt get it new so the previous owner must have stuffed with it. I was just going to bench test it to see what size pellets were best as im nearly out and i have to buy a batch. i didnt even have the chrony set up untill it grouped so bad. with the r10s it was probably nearly a 3 pellet hole. it would have taken the entire 10 ring out if the group was in the middle of the target. and yeh i never got more than about 90 shots
Zollman

Post by Zollman »

I just chronographed 2 early production LP-10s. One (2002) averaged 512fps, with a 2fps std deviation over 30 shots. The other (1999) was a walloping 591fps. Oddly enough, it had a std dev of only 3fps! I turned her back to 515fps avg and it also had a std dev of 2fps over 30 shots.

zollman
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

mine only changed about a maximum of 2 fps normally only around .3 with the r10s but around 8 to 10 with the old meisterkuglen
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Muffo,
There used to be three of us shooting Morini shorts at out club and we usually ended up alongside one another. It was amazing the difference we would get in the number of shots out of the short cylinder. I get around 140 before lock-out, one of the other guys used to get about 120 and the other still gets only about 90.
I don't think any of us fiddled with the factory setting for velocity. I have never even had my grip off in four years. Some people like to pull everything apart, twiddle with settings and experiment I just like to shoot 10s.

Post by Guest »

ColinC wrote:Muffo,
There used to be three of us shooting Morini shorts at out club and we usually ended up alongside one another. It was amazing the difference we would get in the number of shots out of the short cylinder. I get around 140 before lock-out, one of the other guys used to get about 120 and the other still gets only about 90.
I don't think any of us fiddled with the factory setting for velocity. I have never even had my grip off in four years. Some people like to pull everything apart, twiddle with settings and experiment I just like to shoot 10s.
Do these three shooters fill their cylinder with the same tank/compressor ?

A slight, almost invisible on the cylinder manometer, difference in pressure may explain this difference in number of shots/cylinder.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

mine is just a normal morini and i would only get less than 90 shots out of it
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

Is there anything special in changing the velosity. the manual doesnt really say anything. is it just as simple as removing the back plate and adjusting the screw
jipe

Post by jipe »

Muffo wrote:mine is just a normal morini and i would only get less than 90 shots out of it
This is normal: higher velocity = more air used per shot = less shots per cylinder !
Tony C.

Post by Tony C. »

My162 E1 is set at around 500f/s, will give me about 140 shots or so per fill, depending on how much air is in the scuba tank. In a PCP gun there isn't an optimal fill level, whatever the cylinder is @ 200bar or 100bar, the velocity should be the same, as some one mention the regulator should take care of that.

Adjusting velocity on a M162 is fairly simple, as the manual said , turning the screw in or out will in turn increase or decrease the tension of the striker spring, the harder the striker hit the valve, it will open longer and release more air, hence higher velocity and vice versa.

Tony
muffo as guest

Post by muffo as guest »

well i put it in a bench rest with the chroni and attemped to adjust it. the lowest i could get it was 570fps before i ran out of adjustment and by that stage it was varying as much as 20fps. before i had about a 10 ring group now it has gone out to about 9.5. So there is something else wrong. any ideas where i should look
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

When I ran out of adjustment, admittedly at the other end with too low velocity, I needed a new regulator.
muffo as guest

Post by muffo as guest »

I thought it might be something along those lines. Just thought i should ask incase its something common. such bad grouping wouldnt have been helping my scores either

Post by Guest »

If you shoot your air pistol to close to the chronograf than it may register muzzle blast, which has higher velocity than the pellet.
Tony c.

Post by Tony c. »

If I were you. I would try to change the striker spring before I change the regulator since the spring is much easier to change. See if you can borrow one from a club mate or e-mail Morini, they will send you one for free, that's how I got myself a spare.

When you got a spare one, and if it still produce too high a velocity, you may trim the spring shorter so it won't strike as hard, be careful only trim the spring a coil at a time.

When the extreme spread is as much as 20f/s, I would think there will be accuracy problem, a good quality AP shooting match grade pellet should not have extreme spread more than 1-2% of its muzzle velocity.

Also if you e-mail Morini, order a set of seal for your AP, replace them and check again. Good luck.

Tony
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

This is only a suggestion Muffo...but have you tried it through another chronograph?....just to confirm pellet speed.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

No i havent got access to another one but it gives correct reading on my free pistol and on centre fire rifles so I dont think that is an issue. Also if the chrony was dodgy not the pistol then i should get a better than 10 ring group. It should cut nearly one hole not a 2 to 3 pellet width hole. the chrony is set up about 3 meters from the pistol so muzzle blast isnt an issue