hole in shooting jacket

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

EJ

hole in shooting jacket

Post by EJ »

Is it legal to cut a hole in a jacket?
I don´t see how it can´t be legal but it´s better to ask before I do it!

/EJ
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

May I ask where you are thinking of cutting this hole and why?
EJ

Post by EJ »

Bevause Monard still can´t make a decent jacket after 15 y... After getting one redone the problem as most people have is still there, the bump at the left shoulder. It´s better than the first one but I don´t think it will change a lot if I would get a third. So I will probably cut away a piece instead.
RobStubbs

Re: hole in shooting jacket

Post by RobStubbs »

EJ wrote:Is it legal to cut a hole in a jacket?
I don´t see how it can´t be legal but it´s better to ask before I do it!

/EJ
Yes it is legal to cut holes in the jacket but it depends on where you want to cut it. If you're unsure, take a look at the ISSF website and photos of the Mens prone rifle final in the Munich world cup. You will see Matt Emmons jacket has great big tears cut into it. As I understand it, he did that so it better fitted in all 3 positions.

Check the rules though (specific to what you shoot - i.e NRA / ISSF etc) before you chop and if you're still unsure then ask at equipment control.

Rob.
Moushka

Post by Moushka »

Yes, it is allowed to make holes in shooting jackets or pants.

It is forbidden to put any type of closure at a hole. It has to stay open.
EJ

Post by EJ »

So you mean that if a hole is made I can´t close it up later? Even with something thin like a piece of fabric? (I assume the thickness is not exceeded)

/EJ
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

I, personally, am scared to death to cut my jacket, pants, and stock. I get all that work done by professionals.

I think the reasoning for not even being able to add a patch is to keep people from reinforcing areas of their coat and making a wide range of thicknesses. The thickness rule I believe is constant throughout the coat, but if there are different fabrics everywhere, it makes checking the coat too difficult.

That's my personal thought not based on any reading what-so-ever.
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

I guess once the cut or hole is done your stuck with it as reversing it will be impossible to re stitch. Perhaps a pro shop could do it but the repair must not add thickness.
I don't think i would have courage to cut a £500 jacket or pants.
I would suggest that the manufacturer of the jacket takes notice and works with the shooter to re design the offending area to eliminate the need to cut a hole.
Peeps

Post by Guest »

I probably would not think of stitching up a hole if I didn´t need it anymore because I really don´t care how I look. As long as the gear fits and does it´s job I´m happy! Have the same idea about everything in shooting, function goes before looks. I just haven´t heard that rule (if it´s true) before and wants to know the reason behind it.

Don´t think everybody has this specific problem but a lot does. Actually I haven´t seen anybody without to much fabric in this area, but that doesn´t mean they have a problem with it. My posture demands a perfect fit here, Thune has it but costs 50 % more...

/EJ
Marcus

Coat Fit

Post by Marcus »

I take it that the "bump" is the extra material in the left shoulder area is interfering (touching) with the pistol grip.

First, the extra material is there so you can extend the arm in prone and kneeling. If it was smooth in standing, you would have a hard time getting into the sling positions. A standing only coat can be tailored to fit smoothly.

Second, you can very easily cut away some of the pistol grip at an angle that matches your chest angle in position so that you get some clearance between the grip and the jacket. You will most likely never miss the removed material. A belt sander works good for this. Go slowly and test. It usually takes a couple of attempts.

Marcus
EJ

Post by EJ »

I am a standing only shooter at the moment but it doesn´t matter, the extra material is still there. This problem is not something new to monard since it´s been there from the start. My feeling is that if you get it correct jacket you are lucky. What they should do is use a similar cut as Thune does or at least change some fabric to stretch material (my opinion of course)

The problem for me is not the grip touching, it´s the fingers. The stock I´m using is a FWB 700 and the pistol grip is already tilted maximum. If I would remove some wood it would change the grip´s profile too much in an area were I concider to be the most important for grip. So it´s out of the question.

/EJ
Joacim

Post by Joacim »

EJ - Have you talked to Monard about your problem? I know from a very good source that I do care about this kind of issues...

Where are you located?

// Joacim
Soupy44

Post by Soupy44 »

If this bump is what I think it is, it is likely that your top button isn't placed right. One of my juniors just bought some monard stuff and had the same problem. Moving the button to tighten up the top of the coat fixed it. And yes, it is still a legal coat.