Pellet Quastion?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mattnshilp

Pellet Quastion?

Post by Mattnshilp »

Another stupid newbie question. Sorry.

I just bought a TwinMaster Top and will shortly be going the next step to a Benelli Kite Junior.

Can it hurt the pistol to shoot lesser pellets intended for plinking (non-wadcutters)?

For example, Beeman Ram Jets, Kodiak, Silver Arrow or Coated hollow points. or any other random RWS or Crossman pellets?

And can the coated pellets do any damage? I have 2 tins of Beeman coated Wadcutters.

Obviously I know they will suffe from an accuracy standpoint (I think). But if I am just having fun shooting tin cans and cardboard boxes in the basement or backyard, I would rather not spend money on good (ie. more expensive) pellets unless I have to.

Thanks!

-Matt
luftskytter as guest

Post by luftskytter as guest »

Some of those cheaper pellets are no different from the match pellets, except for precision. In the US they're sold under funny names: the Kodiak is a H&N Barracuda, pretty sure it's the same material as the H&N match. H&N Sport is just about identical to the Match versions, but much cheaper. As long as the material isn't very hard or abrasive, I don't worry. But you'll notice that your gun needs to adapt when you change pellets: often takes some shots for impact point to stabilize after you switch. Probably lead deposits and lubrication that need to settle down.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Go with the Crosman and RWS Basic. They are the cheapest decent wadcutter pellets.

Why the Junior model Kite? If you're not a kid get the full size.
Oz

Post by Oz »

RWS Hobby FTW! I've tried a couple of other brands/types in the same price range and everything else is inferior. In my shaker box, the RWS Hobby all fit perfectly, every time. Granted, I've only shot about 10,000 of them so far.

Anything else in their price range tend to fall through my shaker box, or contain a lot of deformities or have a lot of lead shavings.

I'm sure that I read somewhere that RWS Hobby are the exact same pellets used in the R10 Match, just not run through the optical scanner. I wish I could recall where I heard that to know if it was true or not.

Anyway, in quantity, you can get them for about $5/tin including shipping. I'm already down to my last sleeve and a half :-(
Rover

Post by Rover »

The Hobby is a great pellet, just not quite as cheap as the ones I mentioned. They are not the same as the R10 (pistol); they have striated skirts and are the smallest bit lighter.

I think the Meisterkugeln are the same as the R10 (rifle and pistol).

I used to get the RWS Basic, formerly Geco (a very good pellet) for $19.00 a sleeve a year or so ago. Now they are $40 (I suspect because people are discovering them). I don't find them as accurate in my gun as the Hobby, but still one small hole ten shot groups (rest).