Strange Question !

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
david alaways

Strange Question !

Post by david alaways »

I find myself with a new twist in my shot plan. Due to my wife remodeling (rearrangeing) I no longer have a place to set my pellets. I now have them in my pocket and I like it. If one of you that has a rulebook can inform me if this is allowed many thanks! David
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I can't think of any rule preventing it, unless you are talking about a multi-shot air pistol and you are keeping charged magazines in your pocket.

For single shot air pistols, no problem.
sdf

Re: Strange Question !

Post by sdf »

david alaways wrote: Due to my wife remodeling (rearrangeing) I no longer have a place to set my pellets.
Ho, ho!
"Re-arranging"? Pellets in your pocket? More tins? So, your pants have started "sagging"?
Then you have better "re-arrange" your life (marry a yonger, more shootingsport-fiendly wife?). Or move to a larger appartment.

Just my two cents.
david alaways

pellets

Post by david alaways »

Thats a strange answer to my strange question. How many of you get to shoot in the living room while your wife watches TV ? " is the line clear ?" is the most common statement in the house ! Honey Im going to buy a $2,000 pellet gun! " thats ok dear whatever you want' There is no way im going to get a new wife,the one I have now looks like Meg Ryan!
Oz

Post by Oz »

Get one of those 'off hand' stands the rifle guys use. Then you can rest your arm on it AND have it hold a shaker box ;-)
david alaways

Post by david alaways »

I like my pocket ! and if David is right and there is no rule against it I will be they only person in the finals shooting in his socks with a pocket full of pellets .
Isabel1130

Re: pellets

Post by Isabel1130 »

david alaways wrote:Thats a strange answer to my strange question. How many of you get to shoot in the living room while your wife watches TV ? " is the line clear ?" is the most common statement in the house ! Honey Im going to buy a $2,000 pellet gun! " thats ok dear whatever you want' There is no way im going to get a new wife,the one I have now looks like Meg Ryan!
David. Bought the LP10. Husband who doesn't shoot says "get another one if you would like" so I ordered at LP50. I shoot from my dining room into my son's bathroom. It is really a great room so the living room is attached to the dining room. My son complained about my shooting interfering with his TV watching, and my husband, the couch potato (at least in the evenings) told him to shut up. The son has to ask if the line is clear to even get out of his bedroom. :-)I figure he is 23 so he needs to man up. As a side benefit he bought his own place and the line will ALWAYS be clear (except for the cats) no more than a couple of weeks from now. Shooting has its uses. It drives adult children out of the house. Husband is off to Iraq again here soon so I can get in all the training time I want without bothering anyone. Isabel
Freepistol

Sock

Post by Freepistol »

How about a sock?
When I shot a "safety qualifier" {I forget what it was called} in the early 90s for an Action Pistol match, I put the magazine for reload in my left sock on the inside of my shin. I read the rules and they said nothing about standing and shooting the target, the rules only said to shoot the target. At the command to fire, I dropped to one knee and shot the course and pulled the reload from my sock. I had no rubber pad on my magazine and didn't want to drop it on the cement floor from standing height.
The RO told me I was supposed to shoot standing, but allowed me to continue as it was more of a safety check, although there was an accuracy requirement.
As far as putting pellets in a pocket, I would be concerned about fuzz and moisture from my hand if that is the same pocket I stick my hand in when firing. It's also benefical to know pellet count if shooting more than one per paper target.
I think I would find a way to attach a shaker box to my belt before I would fill my pocket with pellets. I'm probably wrong on this, but RWS pellets seem to have some slippery treatment that would get wiped off if shooting that brand.
Ben
david alaways

cats and kids

Post by david alaways »

Isabel sounds like our house except the kid is 21, hes good about calling "CLEAR" before leaving the computer room and bathroom. I take all the lint out of my pocket before I shot and my pellets lay well below my hand. All the major competitions only shoot one per target or electronics. Basically im sold on it ! no looking or reaching down, no turning my body, no fear of knocking my pellets onto the floor. Shot my high score yesterday for this training session leading up to nationals.
Shooting Bloke

Post by Shooting Bloke »

This all sounds very strange indeed. In Australia there is NO SHOOTING except at an approved range.
It would be nice if we could compete against the rest of the world who can practice at home.
RL

Post by RL »

Low power an airpistol might be, it can still cause injury. I dont see why you guys should do anything like this that increases and not decrease the chances of an accident happening.

Post by Guest »

Shooting Bloke wrote:This all sounds very strange indeed. In Australia there is NO SHOOTING except at an approved range.
It would be nice if we could compete against the rest of the world who can practice at home.
Wht people dont know doesnt hurt them
bryan

Post by bryan »

dont know if I would like to keep my pellets in my pocket, most have holes in them, lol

shotgunners do it all the time!

as for shooting in socks, used to do it myself as a kid, even started carrying around a carpet square as in winter the toes got a bit cold, but most ranges here wont let you shoot without suitable footware.

so setting up a shooting rang into the oldest boys room may help him make the big move, think I need to read the pellet trap thread.
Wht people dont know doesnt hurt them
but if they do know, forget about owning a pistol again!

good luck at the nats
dsf

Meg Ryen

Post by dsf »

david alaways wrote: How many of you get to shoot in the living room while your wife watches TV ?
No, I would never do that. I would go for the basement...
david alaways wrote: There is no way im going to get a new wife,the one I have now looks like Meg Ryan!
The one and only Margaret Mary Emily Anne Hyra? I see your point.

I`ll credit you for your good sense of humor, son...
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Bryan, and all you other Aussies. In the US an air pistol isn't even really considered a firearm. If I order one they will mail it right to my door, no need to go through an FFL, no registration nothing. Of course some states in the US have tighter regulations. My state has a very low population, is a huge hunting destination, and has very lax gun laws (including open carry) I feel sorry for all of you who live in countries who have put so many restrictions on ownership that you can't practice at home. If I didn't live in the city there are places within five miles of town that I could legally set up my own outdoor range on my property and many people do. At least three people in my neighborhood have ranges in their basements. Having a place to practice is only part of the battle. A lot of people with nice facilities never improve because they don't have the self discipline to practice constructively. Isabel
david alaways

socks

Post by david alaways »

At my first 3xs air match, someone bitched about me in socks ! (stinky feet I guess) The next day When I walked in a judge told me to go over and check the rulebook ! It was opened to footwear and the judge told me some people will complain about anything !...... Once I made a joke about a certain state and had a complaint filed against me. One range either changed there rule or just modified it after I shot in socks. The next time I showed up I was told no socks ....... WHY SOCKS? I come in at lunch my boots are dirty (shooting at lunch is the cloest I come to shooting at an actually match start time so I want match conditions) If I want to get lucky with Meg Ryan that night I better take my boots off ! My scores went up as my group got smaller. At the OTC when the study was being done on footwear the results for me where I definately shoot better in my socks than even in shooting shoes !.......... David
David Levene

Re: socks

Post by David Levene »

david alaways wrote:The next day When I walked in a judge told me to go over and check the rulebook !
Under the current ISSF rules:-

8.4.5.2 "Only low-sided shoes which do not cover the ankle bone are
permitted."

8.6.1.1 (first part) "The shooter must stand free, without support, with both feet and/or shoes completely within the firing point."

I believe these allow you to shoot in socks if you want to and are a lot clearer than the 2005 rules where 8.4.7.4 started "Low-sided shoes should be worn". That same wording appeared in the 2001 rules as part of 8.4.9.
Freepistol

Re: socks

Post by Freepistol »

david alaways wrote:At my first 3xs air match, someone bitched about me in socks ! (stinky feet I guess) The next day When I walked in a judge told me to go over and check the rulebook ! It was opened to footwear and the judge told me some people will complain about anything !...... Once I made a joke about a certain state and had a complaint filed against me. One range either changed there rule or just modified it after I shot in socks. The next time I showed up I was told no socks ....... WHY SOCKS? I come in at lunch my boots are dirty (shooting at lunch is the cloest I come to shooting at an actually match start time so I want match conditions) If I want to get lucky with Meg Ryan that night I better take my boots off ! My scores went up as my group got smaller. At the OTC when the study was being done on footwear the results for me where I definately shoot better in my socks than even in shooting shoes !.......... David
You convinced me, David, to give the socks a try! Is cotton the best material? What about some of the slipper socks that have the rubber grips on the bottom?
Ben
david alaways

Ben and socks

Post by david alaways »

Ben ! I cant promise that you will be able to score any better and it might not help with your shooting either ! Mr. Levene , according to all the judges (and they had a meeting on it ) only that style of shoe could be worn, but there was no rule against just wearing socks . Only a club rule can stop you from wearing Just socks.
David Levene

Re: Ben and socks

Post by David Levene »

david alaways wrote:Mr. Levene , according to all the judges (and they had a meeting on it ) only that style of shoe could be worn, but there was no rule against just wearing socks .
I would agree with them. My point was that the position is clearer under the new rules.