Texturing in lieu of Checkering

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

hoytbrook

Texturing in lieu of Checkering

Post by hoytbrook »

I have an FAS 604 airpistol. The grips have a textured surface. I have also seen this type of treatment on air rifles. I have a shotgun with a custom stock that I would like to have texturing applied to the grip and forearm. Does anyone know where to go to find such a service?
daisy

Stippling

Post by daisy »

Is this what you want?
I have never tried to do it , but have a short tutorial on how to do it. If you would like it PM me an email address and I'll send it to you..

Daisy

Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

It's easy to do. Done it quite a bit on anatomical pistol grips. Use small ball-ended dental burrs (ask your dentist nicely! You need the type that are used in the slow-speed drill - diamond burrs are no use) in a Dremel and peck away at the wood. Be careful not to allow the burr to skid over the surface, so a firm, vertical 'peck' is safest. Experiment with burr size. Then the surface needs a bit of smoothing. I find a stainless-steel wire brush, again in the Dremel, works better than abrasive paper, which tends to take the peaks off. Buff up with fine wire wool and whatever oil or finish you like.

The professionals use punches, but I've been able to blend newly-stippled areas into existing, presumably punched areas so that you can't tell which is which.