got ugly bondo grips ?? try this...

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jsealc21

got ugly bondo grips ?? try this...

Post by jsealc21 »

Not being averse to altering a finely made grip by grinding and filling, I am left with a less-than-appealing vision,and so far have just lived with it.There is a Home Depot spray can called "stone" which is a high-build texture coat for creating a stone-like appearance,with a fine stipple texture,on household items , such as vases,etc.The pictures tell the story.The product is coarse enough to cover any less than perfect finish in the affected area. I sanded the remaining original surface,masked off with tape,and applied one coat of the "stone"...an instant transformation.Followed up with 2 light coats of satin polyurethane to complete the job. While admittedly not as striking as a fine piece of tung-oiled walnut,it's a helluva lot cleaner than the bondo special...your opinion may vary.
Attachments
standard grip that doesn't fit
standard grip that doesn't fit
grip after bondo,moleskin,grinding,etc
grip after bondo,moleskin,grinding,etc
grip with texture and polyurethane
grip with texture and polyurethane
other side
other side
finished product
finished product
superstring

Post by superstring »

Love the snake! ;) Seriously, nice job.
jsealc21

Post by jsealc21 »

superstring wrote:Love the snake! ;) Seriously, nice job.

thanks,the snake is the dog's favourite toy... I am thinking of using a matt oil finish to bring out more woodgrain, and an acrylic coating over the texture,as the solvent- based polyurethane smoothed out some of the texture a little.
solomon grundy

Post by solomon grundy »

Wow - nice job. How does the surface feel? Is it gritty?
superstring

Post by superstring »

jsealc21 wrote:
thanks,the snake is the dog's favourite toy... I am thinking of using a matt oil finish to bring out more woodgrain, and an acrylic coating over the texture,as the solvent- based polyurethane smoothed out some of the texture a little.
Would you be able to strip the polyurethane without affecting the "stone" finish or would the whole job need to be done again? How would the stone finish with no top coat work out?
jsealc21

grip

Post by jsealc21 »

If I used a lighter coat of acrylic finish ,instead of the urethane,there would be more texture. The existing texture was diminished by too much urethane. The texture coat ,I feel, needs a surface cover for longevity. With regards to stripping,it's so easy to mask with tape,I'm going to strip the whole thing and start again.The existing finish is not as gritty as a factory stipple,but much better than smooth finish. We shall see what plan "b" brings.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Bondo grip.
Check.

Snake.
Check.

If this works will the snake look better too?
Attachments
snake.jpg
snake.jpg (53.46 KiB) Viewed 2070 times
jsealc21

Post by jsealc21 »

Walter wrote:Bondo grip.
Check.

Snake.
Check.

If this works will the snake look better too?

Don't our dogs have great taste in dogtoys...wife loooooved the pic !!
jsealc21

pardini grips redux

Post by jsealc21 »

As described in previous post, I redid the texture,and the finish.The texture is "mild",but may be increased by using "sharkbite" , a floorpaint additive from ....Home Depot,applied after the texture spray,and before the final matt acrylic.
Attachments
Benson,the snake killer, withhis newly renovated "snake pistol"
Benson,the snake killer, withhis newly renovated "snake pistol"
pardini 22 002.jpg (43.31 KiB) Viewed 1863 times
pardini 2 001.jpg
pardini 2 002.jpg
pardini 2 003.jpg
pardini 2 004.jpg
superstring

Post by superstring »

Excellent work! Nice gun. Cute puppy. :)