Anscutz 2002, FWB 300/600/601/603

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Tom Amlie

Anscutz 2002, FWB 300/600/601/603

Post by Tom Amlie »

OK, time for the usual "incite the masses" question.

I'm in the market for an air rifle. I mostly shoot pistol (AP/FP/SP), and diddle around with smallbore 3P. I'd like to get a relatively inexpensive (<$1,000) AR. PCP would be fine, but I doubt it would meet the "inexpensive <$1,000" criterion.

Aside from the obvious "see which one feels best" (which is not really an option, as I know no one who shoots AR), are there any strong points favoring one over the other?
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

My first match air rifle was a used FWB 600. When I had mine they were long obsolete. Really I can't see any real difference between the 600, 601, 603, or the ans 2002 ssp. I have had both the anschutz and the 2002. If you only want to shoot standing then this is a good option. If you'd like to put a scope on then the anschutz is a better choice. If you want to shoot any other positions than standing then get a precharged compressed air gun. Either a 2002ca or p70- had both. I have seen some wood stocked 2002ca's lately for what I thought were very low prices. I personally like the wood stocked 2002 better than the alu (had both). I still think the best airgun ever is the P70 (currently have).

Post by Guest »

If all you plan to do with AR is "diddle around" with it (meaning you will shoot it informally for relaxation, perhaps enter a local match or two) then any rifle will fill your needs. Don't overlook the old springers: They are fantastically accurate and fun to shoot, they don't need air cylinders, and (IMHO) need fewer seal changes than any other type of rifle. They will probably also be the least expensive.

If you intend to practice 3P with the AR you are almost locked in to a PCA model. You can shoot kneeling with a side-lever without too much problem, but it is impossible to shoot prone that way.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

600 didn't have a release catch on the charging arm. There are tales of folks whose hand slipped while charging and caught the arm on the rebound with their chins.

601s are a decent rifle, as are the 602.

603 has a different buttplate and cheekpiece arrangement, which allows for much, much faster changing of settings (good in a club gun) it also allows for dry-firing and it has the compensator to give a smoother impulse to the rear of the pellet and so there's less vibration when it fires. It is a better model than its predecessors.

The Anschutz 2002 is the model I shoot with, I did have a problem with the stock snapping on me and I didn't think Anschutz's after-sales service excelled themselves handling that, but apart from that it's a lovely little rifle. Better than the 603 in my humble opinion; but perhaps not as good as the P70 (the PCP take on the 603)
CraigE

Tom..check your PM

Post by CraigE »

Some thoughts for you. Check PM. Craig
CraigE

Give JimE a try

Post by CraigE »

Hi Tom,

Have missed running into you at DSPC. I just got a Walther LGM2-Mini (SSP) from Jim Edmondson for a very reasonable $650. GREAT rifle. And I too, am only dabbling with AR. It's for fun. I used to own a Diana 75 T 01 springer years back and it was a great rifle. They're around for about $500. Follow JimE in the BuySellTrade section....he has good deals, is exceptionally reputable and has extensive knowledge of the type of thing you're looking for. I can recommend dealing with him without reservation. Might not be the absolute cheapest, but by far will be the best private deal and the greatest likelihood of finding what you want. Good Shooting....and great fun.

Craig