Can an aluminium air rifle stock be re painted

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Can an aluminium air rifle stock be re painted

Post by Guest »

Hi, I have a Feinwerkbau P-70. Dose anyone know if the aluminum parts be re-painted? If so do they have to be powder coated or what type of paint would be needed?

thanks, Cord
TWP

Post by TWP »

Duracoat works just fine on aluminum if you prepare the surface properly first.
coolcruiser

aluminum coating

Post by coolcruiser »

Recently my son and I set up an anodizing unit. I was thinking that when the time came I could strip my FWB 2602 red aluminum stock and re-anodize it. Another alternative would be to powder coat as you suggest. Powder coat is easier and probably a little faster but it will produce a build up on the surface that may be objectionable. As someone else suggested there are other coatings. I am recoating my bathtub at home with 2 part epoxy paint. Epoxy paint is very tough and can be had in many colors. I think that the problem here is that the factory anodizing is very thin and not the highest grade of anodize but any coatings will be thick and may look funny...your call in the end.
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

The obvious question is why?

Peeps
CordB

Post by CordB »

thanks for the replies. i talked to a powder coating shop, and being it IS factory anodized. it would have to be chemically stripped to be able powder coat it. I like this Duracoat idea, they say you can paint right over existing anodized paint. only thing is that i would have to put a base coat on to be able to cover it with a lighter color.

"The obvious question is why?

Peeps"

Really because I want to is the only reason, just to have a unique rifle.
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

If you really want to paint aluminium alloys, key the surface first, by bead-blasting, for instance, then use a suitable etch-primer (get advice what's available locally). I find two-pack polyurethanes are a little more resilient than epoxies, so don't chip as readily, but you should use breathing apparatus when spraying, because of the isocyanate content. Should also use a respirator when spraying epoxy. More trouble than it's worth?
CordB

Post by CordB »

http://www.duracoat-finishes.com/

they say their paint can be applied directly over hard coat anodized aluminum.
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

hey, i say use dura coat, its good stuff. I used it on a shotgun for duck hunting. and held up well even for the beaten i give it out in the field. Make sure you degrees it really well though.

Duracoat has a ton of colors to pick from and it is really easy to spray it. Just wear a respirator.

I recommend buying there cleaner for the stock also. Hang it and spay it down, read the directions and mix it properly and you will have no problem. Also, i recommend putting a matt clear cote on at the end. this will help protect the color from scratching a little.

http://www.houtsenterprises.net/dur_info.html

it is the way to go for do it yourself person and is hold up well.

Give it a try.

lax