IZH 46M sight problem

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
mcbrien

IZH 46M sight problem

Post by mcbrien »

I just bought a slightly used (verifiable) 46 and am unable to adjust the rear sight high enough; it's at the end of its travel and needs more. Before I start filing the front sight blade down, has anyone else had this problem? I'm using RWS Hobby pellets, if it matters.
riflesafety

Post by riflesafety »

First make sure you are fully charging it with air on the compression stroke. Second, chronograph the pellets to verify their speed. This could tell you that some or all of your seals should be replaced. Since it is used, I would just replace the seals as a good starting point. Third, clean the bore with non-petroleum based cleaning products.
mcbrien

Post by mcbrien »

How can I make sure it's fully charged? I haven't bought a chronograph yet. Should a gun only fired a couple of hundred times need to have the seals replaced?

This is why I asked, to get this kind of feedback. Thanks.

Post by Guest »

mcbrien wrote:How can I make sure it's fully charged? I haven't bought a chronograph yet. Should a gun only fired a couple of hundred times need to have the seals replaced?

This is why I asked, to get this kind of feedback. Thanks.
When you cock/charge the gun, make sure you have pushed the cocking lever fully forward and then pause for two or three seconds before compressing the air.

RWS Hobby pellets have very large skirts and will give low and inconsistent velocity in a low powered gun, though power should not be a problem with an IZH 46. Best get a pellet sizer and have consistent shots.

My groups tightened when I started sizing the Hobbys I feed to my Alfa CO2.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Despite the (verified) low use, it is possible that the seals would benefit from some lubrication. I would try the following before doing any front sight filing:
one drop of Pellgun oil on the piston seal and one drop into the transfer hole. The piston seal is partially exposed when you push the cocking handle fully forward. Let the gun sit muzzle down overnight and see if there is any improvement.

I shoot Hobby pellets in my IZH46 all the time without any problems
mcbrien

Post by mcbrien »

Thanks, Fred. I'll try that.

I tried waiting a few seconds before the compression stroke, but couldn't tell any difference. It's hard to believe this could make a difference anyway; I wasn't trying to go fast.