I want to buy a new 22lr pistol. I got tired of my Pardini

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

I want to buy a new 22lr pistol. I got tired of my Pardini

Post by Guest »

I want to buy a new 22lr pistol to shoot ISSF Standard Pistol. I'm an occasional shooter--like going to the range three or four times max. a month.

First, I had a Pardini SP from the middle 90s which I felt reasonably confident with. But then I traded it in for a newer model--a Pardini SP New 22lr. Both with a mechanical trigger. The thing is that while the gun functions just great I do not really feel confident with my new Pardini and I have had this newer pistol for about two years now.

My scores with my first Pardini were between 485 and 535 while with my newer Pardini they have dropped down to 455 to 505. I'm sure all the problems do not come from the gun but rather from myself. That pistol is a good one.

Anyway, I somehow feel like I would do better with an entirely different gun. I never had much room for my forefinger in the Pardinis--I wear large gloves. Somehow, I always felt like the Pardini grips do not to fit me.

What can I try now? I'd preffer a gun with no mechanical issues nor problems with different ammo brands. Maybe a Tesro or an MG?

I do not have an air pistol (like an LP10) but buying one would mean that I cannot afford a new 22lr pistol in several years.

Any input you guys can provide will be helpful and certainly much appreciated.
dam8

Post by dam8 »

I'd try the izh 35m, it fits a large hand. Many grip up grades are available.several have gone lately for5 to 7 hundred bucks. with the $ saved you could buy a used air pistol
jipe

Post by jipe »

First, if you only shoot 4 times a month, it doesn't seems wise to me to shoot two different pistols, i.e. standard and AP.

AP is the best way to improve shooting but it is also a demanding shooting requiring a lot of training. It is also quite different mentality than standard.

So, I think you should first make your mind between standard and AP.

Concerning the pistol, may be you should analyze why you do not like the new Pardini vs the old one. First look at the grip issue: is the new grip different from the old one (size, shape...). Then the balance of the new Pardini is very different: much more noze heavy due to the big new noze weight (I assume it is this one that you have).

If this is the problem, you should look at pistols less noze heavy like the MG2 (but is this one an option for a more occasional shooter ? Let MG2 owner answer this point), SSP, CM22M RF. These three pistols have raked grip. If you prefer a more vertical grip (typical for people used to shoot .45acp), you could look at the IZH35 or KSP200 or better the AW93.
I wouldn't go for the Tesro that is also noze heavy like the Pardini.

Note that you should normally be able to sell back your Pardini for a good price, it is a very appreciated pistol => it should provide you enough money to buy a top standard pistol.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for your input!

The only reason for having an AP would be to shoot it somehow more often than I can do now with the Standard Pistol.

Also, if I want an AP I have to find a way to recharge the air cylinders. How much would it cost to have an electric compressor that produces 'breathable air'?

I cannot compare neither of the grips of my Pardinis because I have them no more. With the newer Pardini --SP New from 2006/07-- it felt like all the weight was at the muzzle and the slightest bad trigger finger movement [or, perhaps, bad gripping] could make the front sight go anywhere. I never felt comfortable squeezing the trigger and I couldn't find a sweet spot for my forefinger. I also felt [feared] that adding more weight at the muzzle could worsen my elbow condition.

The only reason for buying the newer Pardini was that I was relatively happy with the old one. The old Pardini did not have a factory grip but I cannot remember anymore who manufactured it.

I tried an MG2 for Rapid Fire --I do Standard-- once and it felt very muzzle heavy so I was spend after very few shots --I couldn't really hold the gun steady like I could with the Pardini way too muzzle heavy.

I know nothing about the Walther SSP--I've never seen one at the range.

I heard good things about the Walther KSP 200 but I thought it wasn't sold anymore. While I heard it was good for the money I never actually handled one. Same applies for the Baikal IZH35.

I could ask someone for a try with the Feinwerkbau AW93. But in what aspects is it better than an IZH35 other than having a prettier finish? What must I expect from that gun compared to a Pardini?

As for the Morini CM22M should I look for a model in aluminum or steel? Does it have any downsides?

Again, thanks a lot for your advice!
spacestout

Hammerli 208s

Post by spacestout »

Perhaps a Hammerli 208 or 215. More upright, less raked.

Post by Guest »

For what little I could make up I should be deciding between the CM22M RF and the AW93. Being the IZH35 a third option.

Any advice will be gratefully received.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I have a Pardini SP New that I am trying to learn to shoot as well as my Benelli MP90S. I also had elbow problems, and got a more upright grip from Nil Griffe, and I removed 4 of the 6 muzzle weights. It still isn't nearly as steady as the Benelli.

If you don't want a Pardini, I would seriously consider the Benelli.
jipe

Post by jipe »

First about the CM22M steel or aluminium: steel is much too heavy and obsolete now. You should go for the latest CM22M RF that fits also perfectly for standard. All issues with the early CM22M (put on the market about 10 years from now) are solved now. The CM22M RF exists only in aluminium.

About your feeling with the SP new, this is correct, it is indeed much more noze heavy than the old ones. In order to reduce the muzzle flip, Pardini add a lot of muzzle weight. If this is the reason why you didn't like the SP new, CM22M RF or SSP will fit for you: both are much less heavy (CM22M RF is the lightest) with the possibility to add weights to adjust the pistol balance to your taste (both pistols are delivered with additional weights and a mounting rail to add them on the pistol, same as with modern AP). This is not possible with the Pardini since the basline pistol is quite heavy.

About the grip, your explanations also enlight the problem: the Pardini grip is not that good and the grip of your previous Pardini was probably a better one and surely a better one for your hands. It is a pity that you do not remember the brand, you could buy the same brand for your new pistol. The most known grip makers are: Morini, Nill (I personnaly do not feel confortable with these one) and Rink. May be one of these names will ring a bell.

Now between the AW93, IZH35, old Hammerli 208/215 and CM22M RF, SSP, Pardini: there is a fundamental difference in feelings between those two groups:
- the first one have a relatively vertical grip and usually fits for people using to shoot big bore like the 1911.
- the second one has raked grip like modern AP and modern match pistols.
=> usually, people who like one type do not like the other and the opposite. If you liked your first Pardini, I would think that you should look in the second category.

Last point, why an expensive AW93 instead of an IZH35. Well, in short you get what you paid for: AW93 is a high end well made pistol, excellent finish, build quality, a good grip, FWB support and spare parts service. IZH35 is an USSR made pistol, poor finish, bad grip (need to buy another one, add 160Euros to the pistol price), no support, scarse/no spare parts but it can shoot very well. KSP200 was the Walther upgraded version, better grip and finish, better support... more expensive.

Now recharging AP: compressor is usually not an option for individual shooters, it costs between 1500 and 2000Euros and need maintenance. The two options are scuba dive tank and hand pump. There are several thread about this on the forum and how hard it is to use a hand pump: some find it hard, others (including myself) not. I would say that if you are male/normal height, not too old and in good physical shape (what always help for shooting), it should not be a problem. Ligthweigt female, old people, people having physical problems will find it hard to use.
Spencer

Re: I want to buy a new 22lr pistol. I got tired of my Pardi

Post by Spencer »

Anonymous wrote:...I wear large gloves...
I have to ask;
why?

Re: I want to buy a new 22lr pistol. I got tired of my Pardi

Post by Guest »

Spencer wrote:
Anonymous wrote:...I wear large gloves...
I have to ask;
why?
As in saying that my hands are big and skinny.

Post by Guest »

I've never used a gun with a vertical grip like the AW93 so I couldn't really tell if I'd like it or not.

As for the newer CM22M RF how does it compare to a Benelli or a Tesro?

Thanks a lot! :)
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Anonymous wrote:I've never used a gun with a vertical grip like the AW93 so I couldn't really tell if I'd like it or not.

As for the newer CM22M RF how does it compare to a Benelli or a Tesro?

Thanks a lot! :)
I can't speak for the latter guns. I have an AW93 and I love it. It has the best balance of any of the modern European guns for me. It is heavier than my Hammerli 208S without any weights on it but the weight is well distributed. Of course I am primarily a bullseye shooter so I am comfortable with guns where the grip more closely resembles the angle of the .45. Isabel.
Dave H

Post by Dave H »

guest -

I am considering changing from my IZH-35M for the opposite reasons you speak of for the pardini. If you sstill are considering selling your pardini, please email me at d_hirasawa@hotmail.com.

Thanks.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

I have just purchased a new Walther SSP, and find it to be a beautifully balanced and engineered pistol. Its weight and balance seems to fit somewhere between the Matchguns MG2 and AW93. The rake adjustable grip on both the MG2 and SSP is quite an advantage in personalising the grip to individual taste.
I have owned three AW93's over the years, but have never been able to control them in the fast firing series like I have been able to with the MG2, and now the SSP.
My views on these three pistols are: AW93 great in precision, but a bit nose heavy and difficult to control in faster firing. MG2 beautifully balanced in both precision and fast fire, almost no recoil, but not designed to clear any malfunctions easily [ although the later production pistols are extremely reliable ] SSP beautifully balanced as with the MG2, built like a swiss watch, trigger CAN be adjusted to perfection, but the instructions regarding trigger adjustment lose a lot in the translation, and would leave a lot of inexperienced feeling they had bought a pistol with an inferior trigger. Ball joint adjustability for rake and position of grip is great, interchangable external valves for recoil is great, and no hammer is brilliant in my view.
jbshooter

walther ssp

Post by jbshooter »

I second everything deadeyedick had to say about the SSP. Exceptional engineering in all its functions. Shame about the tacky plastic case it came in though......
Rover

Post by Rover »

Re: the Air Pistol. Why not get a Pardini K58...no cylinders to charge and you'll be familiar with the sights and trigger adjustments. It's just as accurate as one of the gas guns and it's cheaper.

Two AA shooters from my club have just moved up from their Morinis to the Pardini. I like them, too.
MG2-owner.

CM 22 alu and MG 2 balance adjustability

Post by MG2-owner. »

jipe wrote: If this is the problem, you should look at pistols less noze heavy like the MG2 (but is this one an option for a more occasional shooter ? Let MG2 owner answer this point), SSP, CM22M RF.
Thanks, old pal. The MG2 is total weight/center of gravity wice relatively versatile. With all additional weights removed from its muzzle "chunk" the MG2 has low weight, and is not at all muzzle heavy. By adding weights near the muzzle (for the MG2 even under the slide cover) balance can be adjusted according to anyones preferances. Same goes for the CM22RF alu: a heavy weight-fixing rail and up to three weights may be attached. I think it is a better adea to start with a light weight gun, and then add weights.
The Pardini .22 standard pistols are a bit too front heavy for me.
Have metal milled off from the "front chunks" of Pardinis? I do not know, really...
varvidro

I have a Hammerli SP 20 for sale

Post by varvidro »

I have a .22 Long Rifle Hammerli SP20 for sale, one of the best Pistols in the market. The Pistol is in like new condition with all the original stuff from the factory. Please let me know if you are still interested in buying a new Pistol. I have pictures that I can send to you. My e-mail: varny5@aol.com
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

I've always wondered why people say AP is harder than Sports or Standard pistol. I shoot way, way better with my AP than I do with my .22 (a whole grade better).

You say that the problem is not with the gun but with you, so why would you expect to shoot better with a different pistol? I still don't understand what it is about a pistol that makes one better than the other. No-one is capable of shooting one to the pistols own accuracy tolerances so it always comes down to the shooter and in my view, their mental attitude toward the particular pistol. Maybe at the top end (570+) it does make a difference but what possible difference does it make for the average shooter?

Cheers

David
2650 Plus

New 22

Post by 2650 Plus »

David, I find myself more in agreement with you than with the idea that you can buy points by changing guns. My opinion is that you should buy the best you can afford and learn to shoot it. Fundamentals dont change with a different pistol. I do have one cavieat though. If the sights wont line up with the shooting eye when you settle in your aiming area either change the grip or the pistol. Good Shooting Bill Horton