Prone - single or two stage trigger?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

BGC

Prone - single or two stage trigger?

Post by BGC »

I shoot prone, using a two stage trigger (Anschütz) with regular setup.

The short stop between first and second stage is a nice "safety and control" stop before shot release. But sometimes it also it gives room for hesitation (without any reason, really).

Would trigger control and shot release in prone benefit from a single stage trigger? Any advantages/disadvantages? (I'm not speaking of "direct" trigger, I still would like a short first stage before shot release.)
xcrunner8k

Post by xcrunner8k »

i am under the impression that most prone-only shooters (at least at the world-class level) will use a single stage trigger. i think i would do the same, except that i am a 3p shooter and single stage triggers in standing and kneeling would be bad news; i am through the (very light) first stage before i even get into the 10-ring.

so try it out, it will take getting used to but you will probably like it.
Eric U

Post by Eric U »

Most world level prone shooters also shoot 3p, and thus use two-stage triggers. All of the world level "prone only" smallbore and 300m shooters that I know of use two stage triggers (all of 5 or 6 of them). This may be because almost all of the good light-weight triggers out there happen to be two-stage. I personally like the safety factor a two-stage trigger gives you, especially in cold weather or high pressure situations. If you are having hesitation issues with a two-stage trigger, that hesitation would probably still be there with one stage.

Eric U
Barney

Post by Barney »

I am a prone only shooter and I use a single stage trigger.
I find you are able to achieve a more positive shot release with this method with out the hesitation you are talking of.
It is far more easier in a pressure situation to use a small single movement to release the shot, than try a juggle pulling up the first stage and then not going through the second to early or by mistake.

The best way to set it up so its not a direct trigger, but basically still single stage is to cock the bolt on the unloaded rifle and turn the first stage travel screw until it clicks then back it off half a turn.
This enables you to rest your finger on the trigger without it going off, until you put just a fraction more on it to release it.
If nessasary, increase the second stage weight a bit.

Warren Potent the world number one prone shooter uses a single stage on his factory Blieker trigger, food for thought?????
Juan Carlos*

Post by Juan Carlos* »

Barney wrote: Warren Potent the world number one prone shooter uses a single stage on his factory Blieker trigger, food for thought?????
The world number one in ISSF ranking is AIVAZIAN Artur

See http://www.issf-shooting.org/default.as ... linkid=200
Barney

Post by Barney »

Sorry, I stand corrected, the world number "Three", I forgot to check the March update.
Rossi

Post by Rossi »

Have you ever seen Potent's trigger technique though? He uses a kind of pulsing technique on the trigger to release the shot. Obviously seems to work well for him! But would be pretty much impossible with a two stage trigger. You can probably find a video on ISSF TV.
Padawan

Post by Padawan »

My coach has taught me to make sure I have pressure on the second stage before I get on target. Not like just stopped at the stopping point when the second stage starts but actually pushing on the second stage. This helps with hesitation a lot because once you have that pressure on it becomes a psychologically active process and you almost can't hesitate. That's what I do anyway...not that i'm an expert or anything. But it works for me.

TK