any problem with holding nonshooting hand behind

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Seamaster

any problem with holding nonshooting hand behind

Post by Seamaster »

Most of the shooting literature recommend nonshooting hand placed in side pocket or front belt.

Any problem with holding nonshooting hand lightly above the buttuck?

Nonshooting arm is certainly not swinging in this manner.

Most of the WWII German troop pistol shooting training pictures look this way.

So, it is good or bad or "we just don't do it this way any more"?
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Stick your hand in your pocket, but make sure you always wear the same clothing, or hook your thumb over your belt. This allows you to relax the non-firing arm, so reducing yet another variable tension in your stance. Well, that's what I was told - seems reasonable.
j-team

Re: any problem with holding nonshooting hand behind

Post by j-team »

Seamaster wrote:Most of the WWII German troop pistol shooting training pictures look this way.
It didn't help them, they lost remember!

Put it in your pocket or belt, it needs to be relaxed not under tension.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Seamaster wrote:Most of the shooting literature recommend nonshooting hand placed in side pocket or front belt.

Any problem with holding nonshooting hand lightly above the buttuck?

Nonshooting arm is certainly not swinging in this manner.

Most of the WWII German troop pistol shooting training pictures look this way.

So, it is good or bad or "we just don't do it this way any more"?

There is nothing against the rules about putting it behind your back if that is what you are asking.

The behind your back is very very old school, the problem with behind the back position is that it creates tension in your back and shoulders. This is why the position has fallen out of favor.

If you look at the positions over time they have changed, with new equipment and training techniques people have discovered different things. Yur'Yev's book devotes some space to the changing positions over time. Positions are an individual thing but there is a reason the vast majority of top shooters have a very similar position with modifications to suit themselves, this isn't done to just look cool.
bruce

Post by bruce »

I've seen a Norwegian shooter adopt a position, where her free hand is placed, palm out, against her thigh, slightly to the rear, so that her finger tips point at the heal of her left foot. She uses a waistcoat that has a loop of fabric along the bottom, so that her hand is located in the same position every time.
I understand that her reason for doing this, is that she has a back injury.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

I tried many different non-shooting hand positions when I first switched to pistol. One of them was in my pants in the small of my back. I get some pain there and thought my hand would give me some support. At first it felt really good and my scores slightly increased. After a week or 10 days my scores went back to normal but I picked up an ocassional wider shot.

I also tried having my hand down inside the pants band in the front so my arm was more or less extended. That felt more stable, but looked a little strange. I noticed no change in score so I went back to hand in pocket of same pair of jeans.

By all means experiment with hand positon, but only change one thing at a time and give it more than one shooting session unless it is obviously uncomfortable.
Rover

Post by Rover »

The most obvious reason to not do it is that it makes your hand smell funny.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Hahahaha. Yes it the crappiest place to put your hand.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Seamaster wrote:Any problem with holding nonshooting hand lightly above the buttuck?
Depends on whose buttock you put your hand on - and if they object.
You could make lots of friends...

Spencer
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Gosh, this went downhill fast.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Spencer wrote:
Seamaster wrote:Any problem with holding nonshooting hand lightly above the buttuck?
Depends on whose buttock you put your hand on - and if they object.
You could make lots of friends...

Spencer
If you want to put your hand down the back of the pants of the guy in front of you then hey have at it, just hope you don't have a lefty shooting beside you ;)
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

In all seriousness, this is what I mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylJdm3hC2g4&NR=1

French national training center, in this video, there is only one 10m air pistolero.

Watch where he placed his left arm.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Like I said before, it is an old style rarely seen anymore at the elite level. I shoot with lots of old timers that still shoot that way, either the arm behind their back or hand stuffed in the back of the pants.

If you think it will work for you try it. I suggest while doing it monitor for tension in your shoulder and back. There's not much to loose by experimenting.
alb

Post by alb »

When I first started shooting, I made a fist with my non-shooting hand and placed it on my hip. Eventually, I got a coach, who commented on it. I explained to him that I frequently went to the range at lunch time to practice, and I didn't want to get my good pants dirty.

I no longer go to the range at lunch time (I don't work at that company any more) and have since adopted a more conventional stance. There doesn't seem to be any noticable increase in tension with the hand-on-hip stance, but it does move your center of gravity slightly rearward.

I haven't noticed any real difference in my scores that I would attribute to the change in stance though.

Al B.
jackh

Post by jackh »

I have tried back of hand in small of back, hand inside back of belt, etc. Even made up a web belt for hanging hand in rear, or thumb in front. However it does take a thought to do so. As soon as my shooting goes into automatic mode, my hand is right back in the pocket. Been shooting with hand in pocket for 40 years.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Many years ago, the "10X" company (long since deceased) made shooting apparel. It was mostly rifle coats, but they also made pistol shooting jackets. They were khaki twill, and they had front pockets cut at an angle so it was very comfortable to put your non-shooting hand in the jacket pocket. They also have a back pouch/pocket sort of thing that you could park your hand in if you preferred. I had one issued to me when I was on the MIT collegiate pistol team in the early 70's. I took mine home over Christmas one year and my mom made a copy I could keep after I graduated. I still have it, but it, um, appears to have "shrunk" a bit, and is a bit snug. I still have the pattern she made and someday I'll get around to making a new one...
Parthiv

Post by Parthiv »

Dear Shooters, This is to invite you to a newly launched portal that helps you maintain your shooting diary and also analyze your peak performance. For more details, have a look at www.targetdiary.com
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Parthiv wrote:Dear Shooters, This is to invite you to a newly launched portal that helps you maintain your shooting diary and also analyze your peak performance. For more details, have a look at . . . .
Did anyone click on the link to see if it has a virus?
I'm not going to try it.
Ben
Last edited by Freepistol on Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

jackh wrote:I have tried back of hand in small of back, hand inside back of belt, etc. Even made up a web belt for hanging hand in rear, or thumb in front. However it does take a thought to do so. As soon as my shooting goes into automatic mode, my hand is right back in the pocket. Been shooting with hand in pocket for 40 years.
Hi

I shoot with one Retired Army Sergeant who is double distinguished, three USAF distinguished pistol shooters, and at least one civilian distinguished pistol shooter. They ALL shoot with a hand in their front pocket.

I tend to do whatever they suggest (except loan them money).

Later

Mike
Wichita KS