How to remove 'wax' from 22LR ammo

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

higginsdj

How to remove 'wax' from 22LR ammo

Post by higginsdj »

I have a FAS602 and it is very picky when it comes to ammo. (Aren't all FAS's - so I have been told). Federal seems to work just fine as did a new batch of CCI.

An old batch of CCI failed on the first shot as did a brand called Geko. Winchester T22 and PMC Target 22 also failed. The one thing in common between all the failing ammo is how 'waxy' they are (some more than others).

The pistol went off to the gunsmith for 'repair'. He put 800 rounds through it without problem - (no idea what ammo he used yet).

The general consensus locally seems to be that the misfires are due to the FAS not striking the case hard enough. The thought is that the wax 'peels' off when chambering creating a cushion of sorts that prevents the bullet from seating fully and part of the energy of the firing pin strike goes to seating the bullet leaving insufficient energy to cause the bullet to fire (all misfires show that the case was struck)

So what is the best/safest/most reliable means of removing such wax? One suggestion I have received is to rub the ammo in an old towel. I imagine the use of solvents may be a problem lest it seep into the case. Any other suggestions?

Cheers

David
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

best way is to wipe it off by hand in a towel.
tiny

Re: How to remove 'wax' from 22LR ammo

Post by tiny »

higginsdj wrote:I have a FAS602 and it is very picky when it comes to ammo. (Aren't all FAS's - so I have been told). Federal seems to work just fine as did a new batch of CCI.

An old batch of CCI failed on the first shot as did a brand called Geko. Winchester T22 and PMC Target 22 also failed. The one thing in common between all the failing ammo is how 'waxy' they are (some more than others).

The pistol went off to the gunsmith for 'repair'. He put 800 rounds through it without problem - (no idea what ammo he used yet).

The general consensus locally seems to be that the misfires are due to the FAS not striking the case hard enough. The thought is that the wax 'peels' off when chambering creating a cushion of sorts that prevents the bullet from seating fully and part of the energy of the firing pin strike goes to seating the bullet leaving insufficient energy to cause the bullet to fire (all misfires show that the case was struck)

So what is the best/safest/most reliable means of removing such wax? One suggestion I have received is to rub the ammo in an old towel. I imagine the use of solvents may be a problem lest it seep into the case. Any other suggestions?

Cheers

David
have you tryed other brands of ammo ??? i would say leave the wax alone its there for a reason
Alex L

How to remove wax from .22 ammo

Post by Alex L »

Hi, David,
I am one of the "old" shooters, - before your time! -We used to have problems with the ammo - the shorts for Rapid fire.
Our solution was to have a rag, spray on some AD40, and then empty up the box of ammo that you plan to use, - sit down in a quiet corner, and wipe each of the bullets over and replace them in the box. It gives you time to contemplate your match or training!

Don't do it the day before,but do it on the day of the match.

Some pistols, like yours, have a tight chamber, and that can slow down the feeding of the bullets.

Most of the ammo that comes to Oz, is about 4 or 5 (or more) years old, and you will find that the wax is harder on older ammo. Also, the bullets are a different shape.

Another solution is to put the old ammo into a magazine and feed it in and eject it manually, before the match, and then you can check if there are any marks on the lead or any part of the bullet.

Let us know how you go with this.

Tell the guys in Canberra that a couple of ranges have been burnt in the fires.
Regards, Alex. L.
tpow

Post by tpow »

higginsdj wrote:I have a FAS602 and it is very picky when it comes to ammo. (Aren't all FAS's - so I have been told). Federal seems to work just fine as did a new batch of CCI.

Cheers

David
As Alex L said
Our solution was to have a rag, spray on some AD40, and then empty up the box of ammo that you plan to use, - sit down in a quiet corner, and wipe each of the bullets over and replace them in the box. It gives you time to contemplate your match or training!
You should have asked D.G. at the culb about wax on ammo
Tpow
j-team

Re: How to remove wax from .22 ammo

Post by j-team »

Alex L wrote:
Tell the guys in Canberra that a couple of ranges have been burnt in the fires.
Regards, Alex. L.
Alex,

Which ranges?
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

The problem with the FAS is not usually wax but cartridge length.
US ammo tends not to work as its too long.
European ammo tends to work better.
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

tpow wrote:[You should have asked D.G. at the culb about wax on ammo
Tpow
I asked J.N. and J.G. - I haven't got around to everyone yet :)

Cheers

David
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

Wouldn't length of ammo cause a feed/chambering problem? All the ammo that I have tried feeds - its just that the firing pin doesn't strike hard enough.

Note that as a probationary shooter I am restricted to club ammo or ammo that others might have on hand so for the next 3-4 months (until I get licensed and can actually aquire the FAS) I need to find a way to reduce the occurrance of misfires with what I am given.

Cheers

David
TerryKuz

Post by TerryKuz »

Wolf and SK have a light coating, more like an oil instead of wax. It is very good ammo, you may want to try some. Good luck.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

I've seen a lot of FASs with worn out firing pins and soft mainsprings.
Weak mainspring would also mean the round didn't get chambered fully.
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

The pistol is just back from the Gunsmith - no mechanical issues found.

Cheers

David
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

That doesn't mean there aren't any, he just didn't find them.
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

Given the pistol was sent to him for this specific issue one would imagine that he tested/looked at each item that could affect it!
Shooting Bloke

Post by Shooting Bloke »

Just keep using the Federal - it's the only ammo that I hav never had a misfire with. PMC - forget it. Dirty stuff.
another aussie

Post by another aussie »

Hi DJ,

Alex's suggestion with WD 40 is fine but it leaves your fingers a bit oily and I don't think that's conducive to a decent grip unless you head to the bathroom for an appointment with the soap. Finding an area to handle ammunition during a comp on many ranges might also be an issue - none is allowed in the safe areas.

I used to put the ammunition for the match in my jeans pocket. Body warmth softened the wax coating a little and a quick wipe with an old flannel took care of most of the wax when told to load. The lube is there for a reason so I liked to leave a bit.

Be aware that handling ammunition before the command "Load" and after "Unload" will probably attract the attention of range officials but wiping 5 cartridges takes a few seconds and your have 60 seconds up your sleeve in Rapid, Standard and Sport.
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

Well the clean ammo seems to be the key for the FAS602. Cleaned up 2 boxes (rubbed in a towel) and not a single misfire (and my best ever score - probably because worrying about misfires is not conducive to good shooting).

All I need to do now is learn how to break the pistol down and clean it. I might start that routine at the end of next weeks shoot to save the current owner having to do it for me.

Cheers

David
another aussie

Post by another aussie »

Break down a FAS for cleaning? My old 601 (RF version of 602) takes about 10 seconds and doesn't require tools to come down for a cleanup.

This should give you the guidance you need for a basic pull down.

http://www.potfire.com.au/compend/spfas601.htm