Suggestions for a Spotting Scope

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Mike V

Suggestions for a Spotting Scope

Post by Mike V »

Hello,

The new guy again - any suggestions on the specifications for a spotting scope? My daughter shoots Olympic 10M and they use 20-60x60 scopes. Those scopes tend to be rather large.

And any particular brand? NC Star? Celestron? Tasco?

Thanks, Mike
Misny

Post by Misny »

Not all scopes focus as closely as 10 meters. I have a Konus 80mm spotting scope that I use for 10 meter air rifle. It is a bargain. You can check it out at:

http://www.championshooters.com/store/p ... 340&page=1

For pistol shooting, I have used a Kowa 20x scope for many years. It works well for 10 meters and is good out to 50 yards for spotting .22 cal. holes. Mine has a 45 degree eyepiece, but you can check out the straight model here:
http://www.champchoice.com/detail.aspx?ID=30675

I would stay away from a lot of cheaper brands, like Nc Star and Tasco. I have tried Simmons and thought it was too dark and fuzzy. If you stick with Kowa, Celestron, and Konus, you will get good spotting scopes. There are other better spotting scopes out there, but you will pay a lot more for some of them, like Swarovski, etc.
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

I recently looked at a Konus 80mm zoom spotting scope, available locally at a bargain price.

First impression was how light it was. Optically very good, but I think its body is made of plastic. Looking into it, through the objective lens, what look like glue splodges suggested the lens elements are retained by adhesive, not screwed rings. The quick-release tripod mount (tripod included in bargain price) was hopelessly loose - couldn't see any way to fix it easily. Tripod plastic where it's stressed most - should be metal or, say, glass-filled high grade plastic.

So, it's still waiting for a sucker, sorry, buyer. I thought that it would be excellent if I could be sure to keep it in cotton-wool, but I don't think it would be repairable if dropped, nor could it be serviced, if necessary. I'll continue with a borrowed, ancient Kowa, which weighs a ton, shows scars of a rough previous life, is optically inferior to the Konus, but will outlive me.
Mike V

Post by Mike V »

I simply can not afford a Kowa.

For indoor shooting, what about the follow Celestron models

> 12-36x 50mm Mini Zoom 45 degree Spotting Scopes ~$80 http://www.opticsplanet.net/celestron-m ... scope.html

> 18-55x Ultima 65mm 45 degree Spotting Scope ~$130 http://www.opticsplanet.net/celestron-u ... scope.html

For the $50 dollar difference, I'd really like to know why the 50mm will not work well.

Thanks, Mike
jpoulette

Konus 65mm 15-45x

Post by jpoulette »

I recently upgraded to the Konus 65mm 15-45x and I'm very pleased with it's performance at 25-50 yds. I picked it because it had the narrowest FOV I could find for the buck. Easily zooms into the black. Very clear and bright optics, reasonably lightweight and an apparently "quasi" ruggedized case design. The tripod is a little cheesy (takes a little tweaking to get it stable) - but it will do. The case is really cheesy - but again it works.

Good luck with whatever you go with!
Jim
Misny

Post by Misny »

Having used my Konus for over a year now, I will say that the tripod that comes with it is flimsy. That wasn't an issue for me since I use a Freeland scope stand. I also purchased a scope cover from www.championshooters.com It is padded and protects the scope well. The scope cover can be used with the scope on the Freeland stand. No doubt that one gets what one pays for, but the Konus is a lot of scope for the money. I have no experience with the Celestron scopes, but I've done business with Champion Shooters Supply for many years and they don't carry junk. They carry the Celestron line of spotting scopes.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I have bought several (5 or 6) "Vintage" bushnell sentry spotting scopes on ebay for less than $100 for our jr. club. Most less than $50. These are really fine quality small spotting scopes for that price. Easily can see .22 holes at 50m. Very clear. In fact some of the older bushnells are actually made by Kowa before we knew who kowa was in the US. Try one. They have 50mm objectives and look for one with a 20x or lower eyepiece. Older Bushnell spacemasters are great too but more expensive.
KFinke

Post by KFinke »

The 50mm Celestron will work just fine for indoor shooting. It's what I first bought when I got started because it had the angled eyepiece and it was a reasonable price. I haven't replaced it yet. I shoot mostly pistol and even shoot FP at night on 25yd reduced targets with lights and I can see the little holes very easily on the black. Not sure if it will focus down to 10m, but I think it will. I'll try that when I get home and let you know. I've been very happy with mine. For the cost, I think it's a nice little scope and it's very rugged too. I wear glasses and it has fairly decent eye relief at the lower zoom power settings.

-Kevin
KFinke

Post by KFinke »

Yep. The scope will focus down to 10m. In fact it will even go down to about 6m. I really can't say enough about how good this little scope is for the money. I keep it loose in my Gun box, and it has held up very well.

-Kevin
tenex

Post by tenex »

I have a Burris 20X50:

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/i ... 0023300127

I use it for 10 meter ap and 50 foot bullseye, and for that it's good enough. I got it on sale for around $50 or so. For a while they were on sale every other month from mid south, it's worth checking in there now and then.

Steve.
Misny

Post by Misny »

I like an angled eyepiece better than a straight eyepiece. It allows me to stay in position easier when spotting shots. The straight eyepieces aren't bad, but I like the angled eyepieces better.
little_doodie

Post by little_doodie »

I have heard alot of good things about the Celesteron.
I would call Champions choice and ask if it will focus to 10M.
You really do not need a anything over 50mm for 10M and 20x will see the fibers of the paper. True the optics of some bottom end scopes are not perfect but you will have no trouble with even the bottom of the barrel scope at 10M if it focuses down that far..
Lower end scopes are the way to go for younger shooters because some are a little careless when it comes to placement of there scope and I have seen several hit the deck. ( I am a Jr rifle coach)
when a 50$ scope hits the deck you get the broom and sweep it up grumbling ...When 300$-500$+ scope hits the deck you sit down and sob for an hour or so and arrange the funeral.
Rover

Post by Rover »

There are a lot of good scopes out there, but the eyepieces suck.

Unless youre buying something like Leica I would stay away from the zoom eyepieces. It is much cheaper to build a high quality single power eyepiece than a zoom. Sharpness and contrast are much more important than magnification.

I've found that around 20X is fine and can see .22 holes at 100 yds without much trouble. With my Televue Ranger I can see hairs at that distance.

This advice from a shooter, photographer, and astronomy buff.
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

KFinke wrote:The 50mm Celestron will work just fine for indoor shooting. It's what I first bought when I got started because it had the angled eyepiece and it was a reasonable price. I haven't replaced it yet. I shoot mostly pistol and even shoot FP at night on 25yd reduced targets with lights and I can see the little holes very easily on the black. Not sure if it will focus down to 10m, but I think it will. I'll try that when I get home and let you know. I've been very happy with mine. For the cost, I think it's a nice little scope and it's very rugged too. I wear glasses and it has fairly decent eye relief at the lower zoom power settings.

-Kevin
Hi Kevin,

This looks quite a good deal for the price. I currently shoot 25yd indoor .22 but I'm also considering 50yd outdoor in the off season. Do you know if this model would be suitable for 50yd targets?

Cheers,
Pete
DDH

Helping a Kiwi make a Scope and Scopestand order from NZ

Post by DDH »

Hello Shooters

I have been using a good scope with a hopeless scopestand or the last 8 months of my 20 yard indoor shooting career! finally getting up to 98-100.5 cards looking at getting the best scope as the other one is moving about getting in my way and taking far to long to setup at competitions!

I used a friends scope and all I needed to do was look down and I could see without all the drama of looking across!!

Before I order make sure I have got it right as I am not 100% sure if the Zoom Head is the right one for the Celestron Regal 80mm 20-60X Spotting Scope

Freeland Bipod Scope Stand (with Zoom Head)

Celestron Regal 80mm 20-60X Spotting Scope

I am hoping http://www.championshooters.com with take order from New Zealand or do you know anyone who will or maybe cheaper?
Attachments
This my old stand and scope
This my old stand and scope
n654969912_2543919_1609335.jpg (34.96 KiB) Viewed 7227 times
It is all on the wrong angle
It is all on the wrong angle
n654969912_2096280_7656.jpg (31.58 KiB) Viewed 7227 times
talladega

Re: Helping a Kiwi make a Scope and Scopestand order from NZ

Post by talladega »

DDH wrote:Hello Shooters

I have been using a good scope with a hopeless scopestand or the last 8 months of my 20 yard indoor shooting career! finally getting up to 98-100.5 cards looking at getting the best scope as the other one is moving about getting in my way and taking far to long to setup at competitions!

I used a friends scope and all I needed to do was look down and I could see without all the drama of looking across!!

Before I order make sure I have got it right as I am not 100% sure if the Zoom Head is the right one for the Celestron Regal 80mm 20-60X Spotting Scope

Freeland Bipod Scope Stand (with Zoom Head)

Celestron Regal 80mm 20-60X Spotting Scope

I am hoping http://www.championshooters.com with take order from New Zealand or do you know anyone who will or maybe cheaper?
Hi I'm new here as well.

That scope stand is just what you need along with the zoom head. I have that same stand except the older version from 2 years ago.

As for that spotting scope, that looks real great. I personally use a Konus 65mm and hope to upgrade to the Konus 80mm before the Canadian Smallbore Championship.

Whether they will sell to New Zealand I am not sure about. I guess phone and find out.

Also if you shoot 3P I would highly recommend a weight to screw on the bottom of the stand so it doesn't accidentally tip over.
DDH

Thank you for your reply!

Post by DDH »

I think I have found a supplier that will ship to New Zealand! I have emailed about 20 people and only got to reply. There are other countries other than the Grand USA ;-)

The Celestron Regal 80mm 20-60X Spotting Scope has not been released yet however I will gue.