Kim Rhode's shotgun recovered

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Marc Orvin

Kim Rhode's shotgun recovered

Post by Marc Orvin »

Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

That is good news! Glad to see it is still functioning. I do hope the get the creep who stole it.
Ben
Dogchaser

Post by Dogchaser »

Great she got it back.

Did you notice the guy only got 88 days weekend jail time for assault with a deadly weapon????

A career criminal that probably won't even face the gun charge, just "stolen property".
JulianY

Re: Kim Rhode's shotgun recovered

Post by JulianY »

Article wrote:Kim Rhode had offered a $5,000 reward for the return of her shotgun, which was stolen from her pickup truck on Sept. 11 at a Lake Elsinore shopping center where she had stopped after making a promotional appearance."
unless I miss my guess, stolen form the back of a car in a non shooting venue carpark with the owner not presant would get the owner a firearms offence in most of europe.

still I am glad she go it back
Freepistol

Re: Kim Rhode's shotgun recovered

Post by Freepistol »

JulianY wrote:unless I miss my guess, stolen form the back of a car in a non shooting venue carpark with the owner not presant would get the owner a firearms offence in most of europe.

still I am glad she go it back
I'm really glad I don't live in Europe.
I think it is absurd to prosecute property owners of "theft encouragement".

Are BMW owners required to keep their cars in a garage?
Do mowers have to be locked in a shed?
Do kitchen knives have to be kept in a safe?
Wide screen TVs can't be in view from a window.
Your wife can't wear a short skirt. . .

Sorry for the rant, but you started it, Julian.
Ben
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Great news for Kim!

Not to start up this cyclical flame war again (whoops too late), but the nature of the relationship between "citizens/subjects" and "the state" with respect to fundamental rights and responsibilities is profoundly different between Europe and the US.

Not for much longer though . . .

As we in the free world rush to transfer more and more of our responsibilities (to feed, clothe, house ourselves etc) to the state, our rights flow along with them.

Steve
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

[obOTcomment]Nice to see some good news for once![/obOTcomment]

It's not the same as your wife wearing a short skirt over here, it's more like you strapping your wife to the front bumper of your car and getting outraged at the injuries caused when someone reverses into you. It's more about duties of care than rights over here, at least conceptually. A condition of our licences here is that the firearm is securely stored. Leave it in full view in the back of a car and you're in violation of that and the idea is you're breaching your duty of care to the public.

(BTW, while you'd lose your licence for carelessness, you wouldn't be prosecuted for a crime, while the thief would be done for robbery, unlicenced possession of a firearm, and probably a few other things as well. So it's not completely daft).
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Leave it in full view in the back of a car and you're in violation of that and the idea is you're breaching your duty of care to the public.
Sparks, don't be jumping to conclusions. From earlier TT posts on the theft:
RobStubbs wrote:
Umm leaving it on the back seat of the truck wasn't the smartest of moves, albeit it in a locked case. Almost certainly an opportunistic thief who spotted a case in plain view.

Rob.
From what I've read on other sites it was not in plain view, it was under a bunch of other stuff in behind the seat of her truck.

Thieves came into the parking lot, circled once then broke into her truck only.

Doesn't sound like an opportunistic thief to me.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Actually Fred, we'd still be done for carelessness even then. We're meant to lock our firearms in the boot of the car (er, the trunk for you guys???)
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Sparks wrote:Actually Fred, we'd still be done for carelessness even then. We're meant to lock our firearms in the boot of the car (er, the trunk for you guys???)
We're fortunate here because when/where we have stupid gun laws, they are usually on a state or local level rather than national. There are some states here that come very close to U.K. gun laws. New York city may even be worse.
Me

Post by Me »

Isn't it funny that the folks that are suggesting leaving a gun in locked case in a vehicle should be a crime are the same folks who have oppressive firearms laws?

Thank g-d I'm a citizen and not a subject.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Me wrote:Isn't it funny that the folks that are suggesting leaving a gun in locked case in a vehicle should be a crime are the same folks who have oppressive firearms laws?
Who's suggesting it? Those are the laws we have to live under. (By the way, you guys have a daft law or two yourselves - sound moderators, for example, seem to be damn near banned in the US but we can get them over the counter here - how else do you control foxes without disturbing the sheep in lambing season?).

At any rate, it always seemed like common sense to me. It's expensive, so I lock it in the boot before leaving the car unattended. Hell, if I'll do it for my laptop, why wouldn't I do it for a rifle that's worth around what, three grand?

Oh, and by the way? I am a citizen, thanksverymuchokay?
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Does this have to turn into an argument over laws? Yes in the US they have different laws than those in Europe and we in Canada have different ones than you. We all have to live by the laws in our own country and thankfully not those in someone else's. She wasn't breaking the law in her country so who cares if she broke the law in yours.

It's just nice to see that see got her shot gun back.