Steyr upping the pressure

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
paulaustralia

Steyr upping the pressure

Post by paulaustralia »

Hi guys new to the forum, Recently i have returned to Air pistol after a spell for study and schooling, when i stopped i was only a junior in the club and cut my teeth on a FWB 65 .that was in the early 90's.
I have now invested in an LP10 and found it excellent shooting in the 530's by the second use. anyway, i am finding the gun feels under powered, bareing in mind my dive tank needs refilling and is only putting in about 180 bar. it seems to be shooting fine but is tearing the targets so there is definately a speed problem. I would think 180bar would still be suficient to shoot.
The shot does sound flat and under powered. How can you adjust the pressure setting on the LP10 , or is 180bar still to low for use.
Any help appreiated
Paul
j-team

Post by j-team »

The LP10 has a regulator, so the cylinder pressure is way higher than the working pressure. You should still get good shots right down to about 50bar. The only thing that a fill in the 180 range will do it reduce the number of shot per fill, not the velocity.

Velocity is determined by the tension on the striker spring. It's adjustable via the large screw under the rearsight (with the grip off). Clockwise to increase (I think theres a lock screw in the side to loosen first). Ball park optimum velocity should be about 500fps (150 metres). I would chrono it rather than setting it by ear of whether it rips the targets (assuming you are using high quality targets).
paulaustralia

steyr LP10

Post by paulaustralia »

Thanks j-team ill put it through the chrono, i did do a few comp targets with high clay content and it didnt tear but was a bit raggy.
Regards Paul
Chris

Post by Chris »

My target sweet spot for velocity was 550 fps. Then I tested and adjusted the velocity to find a small group. The velocity will depend on the pellet you are feed your AP. It will be pistol and pellet specific. You will just have to test and test. Should not take you very long to find a good group. There could be a sweet spot around 500 also. I do not have the time to go back and figure it out. I suppose when I run out of my knot lot I might spend some time testing again.
F. Heinrich

Velocity of LP10, out of the box, is often on the low side

Post by F. Heinrich »

j-team wrote:The LP10 has a regulator, so the cylinder pressure is way higher than the working pressure. You should still get good shots right down to about 50bar. The only thing that a fill in the 180 range will do it reduce the number of shot per fill, not the velocity.
By chronographing we found our Lp10s do not change the Vo noticeably during the pressure interval 200 bars - ca 100 bars of the PA cylinder. Bottom line of green pressure gauge zone is about 80 bars, I think.
j-team wrote:Velocity is determined by the tension on the striker spring. It's adjustable via the large screw under the rearsight (with the grip off). Clockwise to increase (I think theres a lock screw in the side to loosen first). Ball park optimum velocity should be about 500fps (150 metres). I would chrono it rather than setting it by ear of whether it rips the targets (assuming you are using high quality targets).
Some (the newer?) LP10s are factory preset to a rather low Vo. My personal specimen did only 135 m/s (equals some 445 f/s) out of the box with 0,5 gram match pellets. It was then tearing paper slightly. I adjusted large screw at rear roughly 1/4 turn, to bring Vo up to 148 m/s. It is cutting clean holes in paper at this velocity.
paulaustralia

Post by paulaustralia »

Thanks All the info has been very helpfull. my Steyr is the only one in the club and AP for some in the club is more or less a social visit or practice for centrefire. all the guys that had compressed co2 or air handed theirs back in the Australian gun buy back scheme
I dont know if there has been something simullar there but it basically works like this.
for a time (which was primarely to take guns out of the public) you could hand in any illegal firearm , unregistred firearm with no questions asked and if you handed in a registred gun you were paid currant market value for it, some made money back. in the case of pistols allot with highly used arms this was an oppertunity to get good money back for worn out guns, BUT if you handed in pistols you were not allowed to hold a pistol licence/own a pistol for 5 years, this dropped the membership no's . this year is the anniversary of the 5 years and there should b a few to return to shooting.
you should have seen the pictures of the buy back every police station had drums of rifles jammed in, and here with a large farming / country regions every man and his dog was brought up with a gun, and a bucket load of these old and new guns got handed in, whats worse people with antique and highly collectable guns handed them in unknowingly for nothing, as alot were un registred. not so long ago 15-20 years it was up to you to get your gun registred.
Paul
trinitopgun

Post by trinitopgun »

I to am having the same problem .I have a sliver lp10 i purchased 2 years ago .the velocity is very very low ,even with full clockwise adjustments i still get that puff sound .there are 6 other steyr's in the club with witch to compare,they all have a lot more power.[/b]
imbecile

Post by imbecile »

I would advise to increase pellet speed up to 160-165 m/s. This must essentially improve accuracy. The fully filled air container at this speed is enough in green sector for approx. 130-150 shots. My LP10 initially from factory was set at 143 m/s (when I measured it), and frequently some far shots occured because weapon hold wasn't OK at last milisecs before release. At lower speeds when pellet is still moving through barrel weapon makes it's own move. Pellet speed about 160 m/s allows more easier to punch target and pistol is "in stable hold".