First baby steps ---Rapid Fire training ideas, anyone?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
John Kasaian

First baby steps ---Rapid Fire training ideas, anyone?

Post by John Kasaian »

I am trying to come up with a sound beginner's training plan. I have shot police revolver and centerfire in the past, but please keep in mind that I am new to this discipline so go easy on me!

First plateau---dryfire, holding the weapon at the 45 deg. while looking at the base on the target stand, raising the pistol and picking up the rear sight in focus before getting on target before dry firing.
I'll do this until the movement becomes second nature and keep it as part of the "warm up" exercise.

Second plateau--- with live ammunition with two targets, starting with the weapon at the 45 deg., picking up the rear sight, firing, then lateral to the second target and firing again. I'll keep this up until I can reliably shoot 10's on both targets.

Third plateau---live ammunition and five targets with an 8 second timer until I can reliably shoot 10s.

Then work on gradually increasng speed to 6 seconds, then 4.

I've yet to find a coach in this discipline in my area, but I understand there are some matches in the SF Bay area and S. California and Arizona. I figure that if I can get to my "third plateau" I might find some coaching or clinics to attend away from home.

Of course my biggest concern is developing bad habits, especially since I won't have the advantage of a coach.

So what do you think of my cobbled up (so far) training plan? Any suggestions? Any recommended resources?
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

from what iv been told you basicly hit the nail on the head, even an acomplished rapid fire shooter still does a lot of just shooting the first and second targets
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

A few thoughts. Re sights, it's the foresight you want to focus on and not the rear sight.

I would add in a first target shooting between your points one and two. However I'm not sure it's essential to be hitting 10's before progressing on, that will come.

Also work on first shot release at 8, 6 and 4 seconds - i.e. with the targets turning away (if you can program the timings that precisely). I typically try to get the first shot away in I think 3, 2 and 1.1 - 1.2 seconds which then sets the rhythm up for the rest of the targets.

Rob.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

if your targets have the ISSF CF rapid fire stage timing, this is a plus.
You can set for the RF Stage (face 3 away 7) and:
- practice getting the first shot on target 5 (for a right hander)
- practice getting a shot on target 5 and a shot on target 4
- practice getting a shot on target 5, 4 and 3 - this is very close to your timng for a 4-seconds run.

Back in the 60s when the soviet shooters were supreme in RFP, if a shooter did not get a 10 for the first target he was not allowed to train any further in multiple shots until in training he ALWAYS got a 10 on the first target - and so on for two, three, four or five targets - but then they typically shot 300/300 in training...
...how good do you want to be?

Spencer
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Spencer wrote:Back in the 60s when the soviet shooters were supreme in RFP, if a shooter did not get a 10 for the first target he was not allowed to train any further in multiple shots until in training he ALWAYS got a 10 on the first target - and so on for two, three, four or five targets - but then they typically shot 300/300 in training...

Spencer
I guess that begs a couple of questions - why aren't they top dogs now ? And what training regime do they follow now. I appreciate there have been a number of changes over the years, not least of which being the big change in targets and more recently in guns.

There is a lot to be said for nailing the first shot as it sets the rhythm and it sets the right co-ordination for the subsequent shots. I personally feel you need to train both the rhythm of each series as well as training the ability to nail the first target, and that they need to be trained independantly before being combined later in training.

Rob.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

RobStubbs wrote:
Spencer wrote:Back in the 60s when the soviet shooters were supreme in RFP, if a shooter did not get a 10 for the first target he was not allowed to train any further in multiple shots until in training he ALWAYS got a 10 on the first target - and so on for two, three, four or five targets - but then they typically shot 300/300 in training...

Spencer
I guess that begs a couple of questions - why aren't they top dogs now ?
Motivation and opportunity.

The rewards for being a top sportsman in the ex-USSR countries are nowhere near as dramatic, compared to "normallity", as they were then. Even if they were, the limitless access to facilities, equipment, ammunition and support, together with the pressure to use them, has now gone.
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

Spencer wrote:if your targets have the ISSF CF rapid fire stage timing, this is a plus.
You can set for the RF Stage (face 3 away 7) and:
- practice getting the first shot on target 5 (for a right hander)
- practice getting a shot on target 5 and a shot on target 4
- practice getting a shot on target 5, 4 and 3 - this is very close to your timng for a 4-seconds run.
Spencer
Small question here, is it not best to pretend shooting on the rest of the targets to maintain the movement even if you are too late.
I have seen pro "shooting" even a 6th shot.

Kent
John Kasaian

Post by John Kasaian »

Thank you! I'm very appreciative for all the good advice. This should be fun!
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Reinhamre wrote:...Small question here, is it not best to pretend shooting on the rest of the targets to maintain the movement even if you are too late.
I have seen pro "shooting" even a 6th shot.
Kent
Ah, Grasshopper! Must crawl before walking and walk before running.

As much as I love (LOVE!!!) RFP, had I been given training before being thrown in the deep end (i.e. competitiion) I might have gotten into 560+

The point about carrying through to a 6th target for dry-fire is important, but follows good technique on the previous target.

Spencer
gordonfriesen

Post by gordonfriesen »

Folks,

I admit to being over my head here, but I will pass on a word of advice given me by the best RF competitor in my neck of the woods: You have to get the first shot away quick enough. You do not have time to correct the shot. You must start squeezing on faith that you will stop your gun in the right place. Therefore, you should train to have only low errors on the first shot. That means the gun has gone off too soon. But it also means you are actively and confidently squeezing for the first shot. Finally, a low seven is no worse than a high seven, and it wastes less time.

Best Regards,

Gordon